Some one who exceeded your expectations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Some one who exceeded your expectations

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Alissa Czisny. Pretty girl, nice spins. Who would have thought that she would win two U.S. championships and a Grand Prix Final. :rock:

I thought it, Mathman, I thought it! I guess I wouldn't say that Czisny's career exceeded my expectations; I always thought that, in other circumstances, she could have had successes like Kostner's, and be competetive with the likes of Asada and Kim.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think both Alissa Czisny and Ashley Wagner. For Czisny to win a Grand Prix Final--I believed so many more talented skaters never made to the GPF; Plus I have never thought her spins are as outstanding as people hyped, especially now we got Julia, and other Russian baby skaters, and her jumps and speed, we know.
Wagner: for a lady who never showed a solid 3-3 in any kind to go this far, and get pretty high PCS. But she is definitely better than Czisny.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think Sarah Hughes was definitely in the shadow not only of Michelle Kwan but also Sasha Cohen who always garnered attention and who was second at nationals. However, what people who overlooked Sarah forgot was Sarah had more experience than Sasha. Sarah had been two Worlds thrice by then and was the current world bronze medallist, and the two-time Grand Prix Bronze Medallist. Sasha had never been to Worlds and was unproven in competition.

Yeah, it's funny, since Sarah had been quite successful on paper compared to Sasha, but Sasha did seem to capture the public's attention a lot more. I don't know if it was because people were charmed by Sasha's dainty "china doll" look and style, while Sarah never had that delicate "baby ballerina" look; or because Sasha had that electrifying senior debut at nationals, while Sarah had a less impressive first showing and a slower ascent upward. For whatever reason, Sasha generated a lot more hype. I found this article from 2000 by Sandra Loosemore that mentions the way Sasha was overhyped after nationals that year, and questions whether that contributed to her struggles at junior worlds.

...it's been curious how, since the U.S. Championships, the press has been attempting to rewrite history to exaggerate Cohen's achievements at that event. One recent Associated Press article claimed that Cohen "finished a close second," and another said that she "nearly beat Michelle Kwan." In fact, Kwan's victory against Cohen in Cleveland was not close at all. Cohen did not receive a single first-place vote from the judges in the free skating, and barely hung on to second place with a 5-4 decision over Hughes.

On top of that, other recent news articles have gushed over Cohen's "tiny pointed feet," her "dainty jumps," and her "balletic flexibility." But the size of one's feet has nothing to do with the way skating is judged. The rulebook emphasizes landing jumps cleanly on one foot but says nothing about making them appear "dainty," and displays of flexibility are not nearly as important in the judging as consistency on the difficult technical elements. Skating insiders might recognize the utter cluelessness about the sport displayed by journalists in making these comments, but what about the general public?

In the end, Sarah (and some other skaters who suddenly surprised at the Olympics) may have been fortunate to have received less attention.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I never thought Sasha had a better shot in the 2002 Olympics than Sarah. Sasha had never been to a World event and did not have a lot of international cred yet. Her biggest achieve outside of the U.S was a grand prix bronze. She had also never done a clean LP yet. Her 4th place in SLC was actually better than I expected.

I always expected Hughes to win a medal in Salt Lake City. The gold was a surprise though. I had a feeling one of Slutskaya or Kwan would falter and Mrs. Consistent would sneak in for silver perhaps, but never thought both would falter enough for her to even win.

I agree. Sarah was the consistent one, and she seemed to thrive under pressure. Sasha was unknown. I predicted that Sarah would take bronze, so the gold was a surprise. I didn't know would where Cohen would finish.

Pian/Tong in 2010, it looked like maybe their time had come and they lit up the night to take silver and beat S/Z in the free skate!

I did not expect S/Z to come back to Vancouver, but I was so glad they did, since they deserved an Olympic Gold Medal.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rudy Galindo as a singles skater, putting it all together after all those years, winning nationals and finishing third at Worlds in 1996

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Timmy Goebel @ the 2002 Olympics, 2002 & 2003 Worlds. I thought his "American in Paris" was wonderful (and his best long program of his career).

RABID

Final Flight
When I first discovered this site I used to visit the archives as far back as I could go. It is an interesting treasure hunt to read peoples opinions of the current up and coming skaters THEN. For example Mao was the apparent stand-out bright shining light and Kim was JUST a good skater. It's crazy to say Kim exceeded expectations knowing who she is NOW but more than a few people here weren't expecting HER to be the dominant skater of HER era.

Robeye

Final Flight
When I first discovered this site I used to visit the archives as far back as I could go. It is an interesting treasure hunt to read peoples opinions of the current up and coming skaters THEN. For example Mao was the apparent stand-out bright shining light and Kim was JUST a good skater. It's crazy to say Kim exceeded expectations knowing who she is NOW but more than a few people here weren't expecting HER to be the dominant skater of HER era.
Evidently, some people were misinformed. ;)

A couple of years ago, when Yuna was taking her extended break, there were some very loud and insistent voices on this forum brandishing all sorts of confident guarantees, some of the more amusing (in retrospect) including: that she would never skate at the elite level because of chronic "hernia", that she needed to upgrade her skating skills or somesuch :)laugh:), that it was flat out impossible for Yuna to break 70 anymore in the SP due to rules changes, that the juggernaut that was Caro was gonna kick her butt six ways from Sunday, etc. etc.

It's amazing what a World Championship win that cratered the competitive field will do to silence detractors. :biggrin:

Given all of this, the fact that the whispers of doubt are starting again demonstrates just how short memories can be.

minze

Medalist
Evidently, some people were misinformed. ;)

A couple of years ago, when Yuna was taking her extended break, there were some very loud and insistent voices on this forum brandishing all sorts of confident guarantees, some of the more amusing (in retrospect) including: that she would never skate at the elite level because of chronic "hernia", that she needed to upgrade her skating skills or somesuch :)laugh:), that it was flat out impossible for Yuna to break 70 anymore in the SP due to rules changes, that the juggernaut that was Caro was gonna kick her butt six ways from Sunday, etc. etc.

It's amazing what a World Championship win that cratered the competitive field will do to silence detractors. :biggrin:

Given all of this, the fact that the whispers of doubt are starting again demonstrates just how short memories can be.

Good point. Anyone who doubts Yuna Kim ability to deliver now is...... But this comment can potentially make this thread another battle. Lets not make it another never ending uber battle:laugh: