3/3s under the COP and Michelle | Page 2 | Golden Skate

3/3s under the COP and Michelle

From the reading that I have done it seems like everyone is "assuming" that 3-3s and quads will be upgraded when the CoP is revised over the summer. I have read that the athletes and coaches are pretty much united in pushing for this.

I am also curious about what will happen with the "program components." Most of the criticism of the CoP has centered on the fact that judges do not seem to be willing (or able) to distinguish between such apparantly different categories as "skating skills" and "choreography," tending instead just to give blanket high or low marks across the board in these categories.

Choreography is especially tricky, it seems to me. For one thing, high marks in this category reward the skater's team and especially the choreographer, rather than the skater's performance. Also, it seems like there would be room for a wide difference of opinion in this category, that would be hard to codify by the ISU. Do you like a straightforward presentation of the elements (as in Michelle's Aranjuez and Tosca), or do you like lots of little curlicues and embellishments in between? In pairs, do you like classical lines and good unison (Sale and Pelletiere), or do you like innovative moves and complementary positions (Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze). Do you want the skater to tell a story or to portray a character (Irina's Tosca), or should the "story" be "Here's the World Champion figure skater making mincemeat of her competition" (Michelle's Tosca).

I can't wait to see Michelle rack up the points in the CoP. The single most important consideration is, land all the jumps and let the GoE and the presentation marks fall where they may. If you do all the technical elements to perfection, it seems to me that you have also exhibited good "skating skills," etc. Conversely, if you fall or make other obvious mistakes, that certainly takes away from the impact and effectiveness of the choreography, and this should be reflected in the program components score.

So, bottom line, I think Michelle and her new coach know exactly what they need to do.

I wonder if Michelle will throw in a triple-triple at Worlds, just to get a head start?

Mathman

I'm going to give an example of a portion of a mythical skater's program. He does:

3Lutz x 3Loop and he also does:
3Flip x 3 Toe having got those combos out of the way he does:

3 Sal
3 Lutz
3 Loop
3 Toe
3 Flip
(He's now done 9 triples!!)

Which of the above are valid under the 6.0 System? Under the CoP? Will they all be scored?

If the Combos were:

3Lutz x 2Loop
3Flip x 2 Toe

and the usual single triples. (He's now done 7 triples!)

How would those be different in the two systems? - other than the obvious.

___
I think giving examlples will help the reader understand. I know it will help me.:rolleye:

Joe

Last edited:

citrus

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
I'm going to give an example of a portion of a mythical skater's program. He does:

3Lutz x 3Loop and he also does:
3Flip x 3 Toe having got those combos out of the way he does:

3 Sal
3 Lutz
3 Loop
3 Toe
3 Flip
(He's now done 9 triples!!)

Which of the above are valid under the 6.0 System? Under the CoP? Will they all be scored?

If the Combos were:

3Lutz x 2Loop
3Flip x 2 Toe

and the usual single triples. (He's now done 7 triples!)

How would those be different in the two systems? - other than the obvious.

___
I think giving examlples will help the reader understand. I know it will help me.:rolleye:

Joe

I think that I read that the "flutz" now have legitimacy. Soooo, a 3Flutz should count as another jump by the skater, right? And your listing should include a 3Flutz making it possible 10 tripples.

A tripple flutz should be easy to do by skaters able to to the true/real lutz!