2014 Midwestern Sectionals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Midwestern Sectionals

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info guys. If you're watching intermediate pairs fs on IN right now I'm ice monitoring!

If I didn't have to be in lab today, I'd come watch. I'm less than 2 miles from the rink.

macy

Record Breaker
Taylor Morris just threw it down in intermediate ladies! 2 clean beauuuutiful double axels and clean everything else. She was really enjoying herself out there. 61 points and 94 overall. Pooja was my second favorite and placed 3rd overall I believe. She had very good flow out of all her jumps and gorgeous spins she received some +2's on. Julia budnick who was second skated to phantom (part of akiko's cut!) and was kind of boring but had two small 2A's and the rest of her jumps were pretty tiny too, but she was a tall girl. Pretty black dress with lots of silver rhinestones.

macy

Record Breaker
Short program practice reports for today- I'll keep editing this post as practices go on

Morgan flood and amber Glenn were popping off triple triples...Morgan a 3T+3T and amber 3F+3T. Selena zhao fell quite a bit but added a triple toe on the couple triple lutzes she did land. Caitlin nemastil is skating to Christmas music...

Watching senior ladies. Mariah bell had a nice run through. Solid jumps.
Ashley Cain is looking super confident. Very solid jumps, great spins, clean program.
Barbie long has improved leaps and bounds over the past couple years, I am so impressed. She'svery graceful in her short and very light on her feet. Missed the double axel but went back and did it after the program and it was fine.
Hannah had a strong dynamic program. Lutzes looked borderline cheated but I think the judges would have given them to her. They were clean by the end though. Everything else was strong and fast.
There were quite a few girls struggling with triple sals...Lexis verhulst, morgan bell, and carly gold was too a little bit.
This is going to be a really tough group. But I really think that if Ashley, mariah, Barbie, and hannah skate well they will be the top 4.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Junior Pairs SP is done.

Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 56.38
Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban 47.12
Aya Takai/Brian Johnson 46.60
Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson 39.98

Congratulations to Maddie/Max, who won the Junior Pairs FS too, and thus the overall competition. :yay:

Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 56.38 + 101.62 = 158.00
Aya Takai/Brian Johnson 46.60 + 78.18 = 124.78
Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban 47.12 + 69.19 = 116.31
Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson 39.98 + 76.24 = 116.22​

macy

Record Breaker
Anyone watching junior men? Or anything since novice ladies? I'm the ice monitor! And no I'm not gonna wave :)

If you missed it novice ladies wasn't anything to jump up and down about. Lots of falls and mistakes. Novice pairs was pretty good, top 3 teams were very good.

And yes congrats to Madeline and Max! Beautiful skate!

macy

Record Breaker
Junior ladies short:

Amber missed her 3F+3T. Everything else was great. Her speed and jumps remind me of Gracie. And i think she looks like her too. 55.58.
53.41 for ashley shin. Triple flip triple toe, popped the loop into a double, double axel. Nice rest of the problem but looked nervous.
Morgan flood had a bad skate...37.63. Landed 3t+2t with arms above her head, fall on 3lo, scary fall on 2a.
Selena zhao step out on 3lz, popped the loop and fell on the axel I believe. 38.75
Elena taylor I really liked...she was very expressive and graceful.she's coached by ashley cains parents. 2lo, 2a, 3t+2t. Not sure if the 2lo was intended to be a triple but she ended up in third close behind ashley with 52.99.
Nobody skated clean...a sad event

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We got the final group of Senior Ladies at Midwesterns featuring Mariah Bell, Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller and Barbie Long. There is a 12-point gap between the top 4 and the 5th place gal.

The ladies got a very nice supportive message from Jason Brown:

@icegirlash @MariahSk8rBell @barbie__long @Hannah_Miller1 Congrats :) 4 of my favs! Love and miss you guys! Good luck in the long tomorrow!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Barbie Long scored 100.02 in the FS and is in first with four left to skate, should be enough for a spot at Nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ola Czyzewski will likely not beat Barbie with her skate since it was mostly double jumps, but I thought it was well-skated. Good for her!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley Cain made a few errors and didn't have the 3-3, but I really enjoyed her skate. She scored 106.91. She's happy and relieved.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting watching these girls compete just to make it to Nationals. Never watched Sectionals before. For most of these girls just making Nationals is a victory.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hannah Miller did a mostly clean FS just a turnout in the 3F later in the program. Home crowd showered her with gifts. :)
Great choreo, well-skated.

115.28 (!) and obviously in first.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mariah Bell had a few issues with her skate, she ran out of ice with her 3-jump combo and had two falls later in the program. But I really like this FS for her. She never gave up on skating the choreo.

97.32, 154.91 total, gets the last spot for Nationals by placing 4th.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First time i saw Mariah Bell was at Nationals 2011 as a Novice. She was flying around the ice and had that watch me gene. Now she's a lovely young lady and skates as a mature lady. Glad she's going to Nationals.

flying camel

Medalist
Hannah Miller did a mostly clean FS just a turnout in the 3F later in the program. Home crowd showered her with gifts. :)
Great choreo, well-skated.

115.28 (!) and obviously in first.

Good for Hannah. Glad she is back skating strong. She is one of my favorites.

Ola Czyzewski will likely not beat Barbie with her skate since it was mostly double jumps, but I thought it was well-skated. Good for her!

I am sure that Polish Figure Skating Association is waiting with open arms. ^^