2014 Midwestern Sectionals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Midwestern Sectionals

macy

Record Breaker
sorry i didn't update at all i was busy and very tired lol! senior ladies wasn't exciting until the last group...but i was very happy for chelsea christopher, she came off the ice almost crying she was so happy. her expression was priceless.
talk about nerves though, once renee kono got off the ice as the last skater in the second group my stomach was doing cartwheels for hannah, i think i was more nervous than her! i asked her if she felt good, she said yes and gave her a high five. her warm up was great, of course i wasn't really watching anyone else.
i felt like barbie was a different skater than in the short. she was so graceful and attempted to feel the music in the short and i didn't see that at all yesterday. she was the same barbie i've seen the past couple years...boring and no expression. too bad about the falls though, i do love her jumping.
i wished ashley luck before she stepped on the ice and she's so nice and cheerful. it was too bad about her fall and mistakes but i LOVE her presentation so much it's insane. she shows her emotion and her skating skills are SO good. and she's fast in real life. i also noticed this with her parents' junior skater elena taylor- very good skating skills and presentation.
i am SO proud of hannah. she had been skating well all weekend even though she was very nervous for her short friday night, but she was more relaxed yesterday. i wasn't sure how healed up her injury was so i was so glad to see her skate so well and attack everything both days and get the scores she recieved. on top of that she had such a huge support group who came...a lot of friends from her school were there and a lot of our club members came, even ones who haven't been around in a few years. it was really great.
it was a good effort from mariah. i knew she would make it to nationals no matter what, same with the other 3. she's so cute. i also love her presentation on the ice, but it was too bad she made mistakes.

but i have to say, we know what these 4 are capable of despite any mistakes. do you think any of them could have a shot at the 3rd spot for the team? if any of them have a shot, i think it would be ashley or hannah because they have the capability to score that high and compete with some of the other skaters that will be at nationals. i think they both can score about as high as 120 IMO (if you look at hannah's protocol she had a cheat, a turnout, and can probably get higher PCS by nationals and i'm not doing math with ashley's i'm just assuming) and can probably get 60 ish for the short. also, hannah and ashley have more international experience than barbie and mariah and have competed on the senior level before. after all, that 3rd spot is wide open.

junior ladies was a total splatfest...honestly almost this whole competition was a splatfest. the lower levels and maybe hannah, madeline and max, and a couple others had relatively clean skates and that was it.
morgan flood had a good comeback after her short, she was very happy when she came off the ice. she did have 3 downgrades but she went and landed everything. if she wants to move up to senior next year she will definitely have to work on her PCS though.
selena zhao also had a good comeback after the short. she did have 2 falls but she landed a 2A+3T and everything else was very well done and she placed 3rd in the long.
ashley shin had an ok skate. she popped her first lutz and had a couple more mistakes but i've been a fan of her since we hosted jr. nats a couple years ago...i love her jumping, she has huge, floaty jumps but she can be a bit of a headcase. she too needs to work on her PCS.
elena taylor is who i was talking about earlier. she doesn't have all the triples but she skates like ashley cain. she is beautiful to watch and you don't want to stop. she sells her performance. i'm very excited she made it to nationals and i hope she does well.
bradie tennell was one of the ones who held it together and skated a clean performance although i've never been a fan of her music choices or choreo. i do like her spins though.
amber glenn had a great opening...a triple flip triple toe and triple lutz triple toe. but as the performance went on she appeared to lose steam. she had problems with the loop in warmup so she made a mistake on that, then fell on the next lutz and a double toe on the end of a double axel and had some trouble on her last spin. but it was a good overall performance. she is a great skater and nice person. her speed and jumps remind me of gracie. i hope she gains more consistency, works on her artistry and becomes a known name in skating.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed the last group of Senior ladies. Loved Hannah's program and though her dress was quite "busy", I really loved it! Ashley looked very nervous and I hoped she would do a little better. Barbie and Mariah both did very well also.

macy

Record Breaker
Also...not sure if anyone knew this but carly gold is not being coached by Alex ouriashev anymore either. Not sure what the name of her current coach is but he's a nice guy and does not have a Russian accent lol. I don't know if Alex watched her short but he sneakily watched her long, he was peaking out behind the kiss and cry and right when her program was over I turned around to see if he was still there and he was gone. So I'm not sure if the golds left him on good terms or not.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also...not sure if anyone knew this but carly gold is not being coached by Alex ouriashev anymore either. Not sure what the name of her current coach is but he's a nice guy and does not have a Russian accent lol. I don't know if Alex watched her short but he sneakily watched her long, he was peaking out behind the kiss and cry and right when her program was over I turned around to see if he was still there and he was gone. So I'm not sure if the golds left him on good terms or not.

I guess that you are saying that someone other than Frank Carroll was with Carly Gold at Sectionals.
On some level, she is working with Carroll -- or at least Carly had said so quite recently in a tweet (before she made her Twitter account private).
And at the time of Gracie Gold's tryout with Carroll, Gracie had said more than once that Carly and she were a "package deal."

I hate to think that Carly's progress this season suffered because of all the upheaval/drama originating with Gracie, but I don't see how it could not have.
In a summer blog, Gracie had written optimistically that their goal was for the twins to compete together at Nats this year. Too bad that this year ended up not being the year.

macy

Record Breaker
I guess that you are saying that someone other than Frank Carroll was with Carly Gold at Sectionals.
On some level, she is working with Carroll -- or at least Carly had said so quite recently in a tweet (before she made her Twitter account private).
And at the time of Gracie Gold's tryout with Carroll, Gracie had said more than once that Carly and she were a "package deal."

I hate to think that Carly's progress this season suffered because of all the upheaval/drama originating with Gracie, but I don't see how it could not have.
In a summer blog, Gracie had written optimistically that their goal was for the twins to compete together at Nats this year. Too bad that this year ended up not being the year.

That would have been a really big goal for carly to achieve with ashley, hannah, Mariah, and Barbie being there...I knew that if the four of them skated relatively well no one was going to take the top 4 spots but them. I would love for carly to go to nats with Gracie but this year would pretty much have been impossible unless there would have been a lot of mistakes made. IMO I also think she needs to work on her speed and skating skills and projecting to the audience. She is rather slow going into her jumps. But next year there may be a better chance depending on international assignments for those 4 especially Ashley and hannah.