Thread: 2014 Midwestern Sectionals

Junior Pairs SP is done.

Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 56.38
    Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban 47.12
    Aya Takai/Brian Johnson 46.60
    Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson 39.98

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    Juvenile girls was a great event...I think there were only one maybe two falls throughout the whole thing. My favorites were Kaitlyn Nguyen, Gabrielle noulette, and one other girl who skated to parts of sing, sing, sing with lots of attitude and charm and placed about halfway through the pack. Kaitlyn was first and had really good jumps and 2 double axels and had super good interpretation for a juv girl. Gabrielle was 3rd and had BEAUTIFUL spins way above her level. She looked like she was about 11 and skated like she was 14 or 15. She was way mature for her age. Hannah's younger sister braedyn is also a juv girl and placed 9th and I believe scored a personal best. She skated clean but had some scratchy jumps. She skates just like hannah though, she's a mini version! Good luck to the top 4 at nationals.

Junior pairs is tonight and I talked to hannah today and I believe she is practicing tonight but I won't be there for either-I was there for 8 hours today and need to get to bed at a decent hour to do it again tomorrow. I hope Madeline and matt do well.
    macy, thx again for sharing all your experiences and observations with us, esp. on top of fulfilling your responsibilities over such looong days.

Photo of adorable Kaitlyn receiving congratulations from ‏@Max_Settlage:

Cute photos/messages from @Hannah_Miller1 with/for little sister Braedyn:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Junior Pairs SP is done.

Thanks, Mrs. P. Excited for Maddie/Max.

Tripping on the Podium
    Senior Ice Dance official practice starts tonight. Aldridge & Eaton will be practicing their Bollywood Program. If your interested in the hand gestures associated with the dance, Ice Network, recently did an article on this dance - See Excerpt Below:

"Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton made their Grand Prix debut in China with a sparkling new free dance to Indian music. "When we started this season we were unsure of what to do for music, because all the pieces of music we've skated to so far have been more for the crowd and not so much the musicality," Eaton said. "We were trying to involve the crowd as much as possible."

Pasquale Camerlengo -- who choreographs for the team along with coaches Angelika Krylova and Massimo Scali -- came up with the idea of Indian music, specifically Bharata Natyam, a classical style from southern India. The last part of the dance is to Bollywood music.

"My dad had heart surgery (recently)," Eaton added. "The doctor was Hindu and he set up a couple of connections for us to go and watch some dances."

The team has been working with Chaula Thacker, the artistic director of the Nadanta dance company, and they have been to several dance performances to learn the style and gain inspiration.

"It was such a beautiful dance," Aldridge said. "There was one part I wish we could have incorporated -- they have bells on their ankles, as part of their outfits, and the sound adds to the musical accents. We incorporated the precision of their hands, and how it told the story of the whole dance."

The hand gestures, and the dance as a whole, tell a story. The lyrics of the first piece tell the tale of a young girl trying to find a lost piece of jewelry.

"It's about a couple meeting and trying to go through life," Aldridge said. "In the beginning it's a search for a connection, in the middle it's a story of love and compassion, and the last section is a fight, a battle."

The costumes are part of the story, too. Both are made from traditional wedding clothes.

"I bought a sari wedding gown from an Indian bridal shop," Aldridge said. "All we had to do was make the skirt skate-able, we didn't change the top at all."

"The shop is run by our choreographer Chaula," Eaton went on. "She imports all the costumes from India. Alex's grandma hand-painted all the embroidery on my costume to match Alex's, which was remarkably tedious work."

Hope you enjoy and please stop and say hello.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Turbo-Mom, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that IN article! Good luck & good skating at Mids for Alex & Daniel!

Thanks for the info guys. If you're watching intermediate pairs fs on IN right now I'm ice monitoring!

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. If you're watching intermediate pairs fs on IN right now I'm ice monitoring!
    If I didn't have to be in lab today, I'd come watch. I'm less than 2 miles from the rink.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    If I didn't have to be in lab today, I'd come watch. I'm less than 2 miles from the rink.
    Oh bummer! Well you have until Saturday.

Taylor Morris just threw it down in intermediate ladies! 2 clean beauuuutiful double axels and clean everything else. She was really enjoying herself out there. 61 points and 94 overall. Pooja was my second favorite and placed 3rd overall I believe. She had very good flow out of all her jumps and gorgeous spins she received some +2's on. Julia budnick who was second skated to phantom (part of akiko's cut!) and was kind of boring but had two small 2A's and the rest of her jumps were pretty tiny too, but she was a tall girl. Pretty black dress with lots of silver rhinestones.

Short program practice reports for today- I'll keep editing this post as practices go on

Morgan flood and amber Glenn were popping off triple triples...Morgan a 3T+3T and amber 3F+3T. Selena zhao fell quite a bit but added a triple toe on the couple triple lutzes she did land. Caitlin nemastil is skating to Christmas music...

Watching senior ladies. Mariah bell had a nice run through. Solid jumps.
    Ashley Cain is looking super confident. Very solid jumps, great spins, clean program.
    Barbie long has improved leaps and bounds over the past couple years, I am so impressed. She'svery graceful in her short and very light on her feet. Missed the double axel but went back and did it after the program and it was fine.
    Hannah had a strong dynamic program. Lutzes looked borderline cheated but I think the judges would have given them to her. They were clean by the end though. Everything else was strong and fast.
    There were quite a few girls struggling with triple sals...Lexis verhulst, morgan bell, and carly gold was too a little bit.
    This is going to be a really tough group. But I really think that if Ashley, mariah, Barbie, and hannah skate well they will be the top 4.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Intermediate regulations are similar to ISU Novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Intermediate regulations are similar to ISU Novice?
    Intermediate is the level below Novice in the U.S. But being Novice in the U.S. is based on passing a certain test while ISU Novice is age-based.

This is a good reference: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post550017

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Junior Pairs SP is done.

Congratulations to Maddie/Max, who won the Junior Pairs FS too, and thus the overall competition.

Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage 56.38 + 101.62 = 158.00
    Aya Takai/Brian Johnson 46.60 + 78.18 = 124.78
    Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban 47.12 + 69.19 = 116.31
    Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson 39.98 + 76.24 = 116.22

Anyone watching junior men? Or anything since novice ladies? I'm the ice monitor! And no I'm not gonna wave

If you missed it novice ladies wasn't anything to jump up and down about. Lots of falls and mistakes. Novice pairs was pretty good, top 3 teams were very good.

And yes congrats to Madeline and Max! Beautiful skate!

Junior ladies short:

Amber missed her 3F+3T. Everything else was great. Her speed and jumps remind me of Gracie. And i think she looks like her too. 55.58.
    53.41 for ashley shin. Triple flip triple toe, popped the loop into a double, double axel. Nice rest of the problem but looked nervous.
    Morgan flood had a bad skate...37.63. Landed 3t+2t with arms above her head, fall on 3lo, scary fall on 2a.
    Selena zhao step out on 3lz, popped the loop and fell on the axel I believe. 38.75
    Elena taylor I really liked...she was very expressive and graceful.she's coached by ashley cains parents. 2lo, 2a, 3t+2t. Not sure if the 2lo was intended to be a triple but she ended up in third close behind ashley with 52.99.
    Nobody skated clean...a sad event

We got the final group of Senior Ladies at Midwesterns featuring Mariah Bell, Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller and Barbie Long. There is a 12-point gap between the top 4 and the 5th place gal.

The ladies got a very nice supportive message from Jason Brown:

@icegirlash @MariahSk8rBell @barbie__long @Hannah_Miller1 Congrats 4 of my favs! Love and miss you guys! Good luck in the long tomorrow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast