Alissa Czisny Withdraws Sectional Championships | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny Withdraws Sectional Championships

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
In the TLC documentary, Ice Diaries, Alissa was seen training the triple axel on the harness. This was in late 2001, early 2002.

Of course, it's been taken off Youtube ... man, YT videos have been disappearing a lot.

That is so awesome. Thanks, brightphoton (and LiamForeman). Wow. I love learning new things. If anyone ever finds this video, please post. I'm just reveling right now in the alternate universe in which Alissa Czisny does triple axels in competition. :)

sk8ing mom

Rinkside
In the TLC documentary, Ice Diaries, Alissa was seen training the triple axel on the harness. This was in late 2001, early 2002.

Of course, it's been taken off Youtube ... man, YT videos have been disappearing a lot.

Wasn't it the 2005-2006 season that was shown on the TLC documentary? She would have been just 14 2001-2002 season.

brightphoton

Medalist
Wasn't it the 2005-2006 season that was shown on the TLC documentary? She would have been just 14 2001-2002 season.

I remember it was the year that Michelle Kwan kept complaining about her groin ... for some reason, I thought it was 2002, but yeah you're right, it was 2006.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chuckm, this is such bad reasoning. Not only did Blades of Passion already show that indeed Czisny could have topped these scores [174.80,164.50, 157.45, 100.02, 154.91] with doubles, but it is also the case that Czisny might not have only done doubles had she actually competed.

No, Blades of Passion didn't SHOW that, he/she SAID that, but I didn't find what he/she said at all believable.

As for Alissa's possible jump content, she had been appearing in shows doing only single axels in the weeks before she withdrew, and fans in attendance said even her spins weren't of her usual quality. It was quite clear that she was not making progress, but was actually losing what progress she had made earlier.

Victura

On the Ice
Unfortunately, recovering from injuries doesn't usually follow a linear trajectory, as much as one might hope, so it probably just depended on any given day whether she looked strong or not.

As for the triple axel, I was a bit surprised too, but actually one shouldn't be because lots of skaters try very difficult jump content in practice, but it doesn't ever get consistent enough to put into a competition program.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
No, Blades of Passion didn't SHOW that, he/she SAID that, but I didn't find what he/she said at all believable.

Okay. What is nice about the Code of Points is that you can actually estimate what someone would get doing certain jumps, which is what BoP did. I'm going to count this as both SAYING and SHOWING. :)

As for Alissa's possible jump content, she had been appearing in shows doing only single axels in the weeks before she withdrew, and fans in attendance said even her spins weren't of her usual quality. It was quite clear that she was not making progress, but was actually losing what progress she had made earlier.

Now, this is precisely the sort of thing to which one might reasonably reply "I didn't find what he/she said at all believable": Hearsay, speculation, and inductive inferences, not to mention un-named sources.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay. What is nice about the Code of Points is that you can actually estimate what someone would get doing certain jumps, which is what BoP did. I'm going to count this as both SAYING and SHOWING. :)

Now, this is precisely the sort of thing to which one might reasonably reply "I didn't find what he/she said at all believable": Hearsay, speculation, and inductive inferences, not to mention un-named sources.

The three people who reported on FSU actually SAW Alissa SKATING. They were Alissa fans and were hoping to see her ready for Nationals and were crushed to see that she was not.

OTOH, Blades of Passion never saw Alissa actually doing the theoretical program he/she said she was capable of doing. By withdrawing, Alissa admitted that she was not competitive because of her injury, which is what I had said from the beginning, based on what orthopedic surgeon and Olympic medalist Debi Thomas had said about Alissa's type of injury.

BofP simply refused to accept the grim reality of Alissa's situation, and that is why I didn't find his/her opinion of value. Code of Points is useless if the skater in question is physically incapable of performing the program in question.

BTW, as far as "unnamed sources" are concerned, BofP is no more a 'named source' than any poster on FSU, or even you, PepeNero, or I am. Debi Thomas, however, IS a named source, and a respected authority in her field who some people (cough, cough) chose to ignore.

That is so awesome. Thanks, brightphoton (and LiamForeman). Wow. I love learning new things. If anyone ever finds this video, please post. I'm just reveling right now in the alternate universe in which Alissa Czisny does triple axels in competition. :)

Send me the map, and I'll follow you there!

I think in those days many skaters had their eye on the triple Axel. Nakano and Nelidina had done triple Axels in 2002, Meissner and Asada more recently, and it looked like the triple Axel for ladies was about to be required at the top level, like quads for men. Didn't work out that way, though.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Triple axel will never be required of the Ladies it's just too hard of a jump for most of them to do.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Weighing on the news late but all the best to Alissa. Years from now, those of us who watched her will be introducing new skating fans to old clips of her stunning spins, just like some of the older posters remember Janet Lynn, Tifanny Chin, Denise Bielmann and others who left their lovely marks on skating. I'll never forget Alyssa's 2011 long program at the GPF and Nationals. It was bliss.