Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny Withdraws Sectional Championships

Custom Title
    Thank you Alissa for some beautiful skating, I wish you only the best in the future.

Custom Title
    I must admit that in a way I'm relieved as I've been concerned, for some time, that Alissa might eventually permanently injure herself. She has been IMO *the* most elegant skater (I think her Sabrina LP was the best--evah!!!) Maybe she could do some commentary during the Olympics & in the future - she's articulate, she's a two time US champ. She's got a lot to offer TV and her sport.

Custom Title
    This is kind of sad and Alissa I know had dreams and hopes of an Olympic performance. I hope she can go on with life with her head held high. I wish her nothing but the best but this was hardly surprising -one could sense it wasn't going to happen; she needed more time and maybe the surgery/injury was competitive ending. She sort of reminds me of another skater who stil has the dream and we are all waiting for the call that he will not skate at Nationals. However the unspoken one has one thing Alissa doesn't have a guaranteed spot to Nationals. I wonder what would happen if he had to qualify - of course he still needs to get the minimum score to compete at Olympics. Sometimes it is hard to say goodbye and let things be - as long as no one gets hurt so to speak I guess that is fine but usually there are consequences - financial, holding off on school, holdingoff on buying things, taking the limelight away from others, sometimes instead of leaving on a high you kind of leave on a downer. It is like the fading actor or actress befoe they finally realize they no longer are the ingenuee or lead but become a character actor or worse simply unwanted. Life is kind of sad that way on to the next superstar - fickle are we :( Go Alissa and be happy

I feel the same way. Before I heard the news today, I had pulled out my DVD of the 2010 GP final to watch her and the other top five ladies this evening....I would love to see her do an exhibition of singles ice dance, for she does put the "art" in artistry.
    I wish her love and happiness and will always remember talking to her and her mom and watching her do her stretches in front of the fire place at the World Arena in Colorado Springs. Above all, she is a person who is a class act. You want her to just be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    I must admit that in a way I'm relieved as I've been concerned, for some time, that Alissa might eventually permanently injure herself. She has been IMO *the* most elegant skater (I think her Sabrina LP was the best--evah!!!) Maybe she could do some commentary during the Olympics & in the future - she's articulate, she's a two time US champ. She's got a lot to offer TV and her sport.

Good luck, Alissa. I hope you find fulfillment elsewhere if you don't continue to skate.

So heartbreaking for her. :( Her skating in the competitive world will be missed. Her winter to spring free program from 2010/2011 is one of my favorite programs of all time. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I wish her all the best.

Custom Title
    Well she didn't say she was necessarily ending her competitive career but it was hinted as she mentioned shows. I think we all know or feel it is over - time to move on to the the next chapter (deep down I think we all know that - despite the notion she should do what she wants). It is sad but I also think it gives her clarity in her life. I know we have one notion go for it, no regrets but what if we pursued this one dream and in the mean time missed another opportunity because we were chasing the wrong "dream". It isn't so easy to say just do it. fortunately at least with Alissa she has her education.

Custom Title
    What was the straw that broke the camel's back? How far along the road had she gotten? Since the olympic dream was the reason she continued, I doubt she would even think of continuing to compete.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    It is such a shame that she started out with terrible jumping technique. Not one jump was solid, she was liable to go down on anything and sometimes she did. I think her overall skating would have improved as well if she had a solid technique so she wouldn't have been so scared tentatively stalking every jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    It is such a shame that she started out with terrible jumping technique. Not one jump was solid, she was liable to go down on anything and sometimes she did. I think her overall skating would have improved as well if she had a solid technique so she wouldn't have been so scared tentatively stalking every jump.
    But even solid jump technique can only get you so far if you are a nervous skater. You only had to watch Alissa's face when she competed to see how scared at times she was. Look at Gracie she has good technique and usually can do 3-3's in her sleep but when it comes time to compete she doesn't land the jumps.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    This is such sad news. Damn. Even though Alissa didn't compete at Nationals last year, I thought she'd be back. For me, this year at Nationals, it'll be like the first year watching Nationals without Michelle Kwan. It just won't feel right, and less important somehow.

ETA: It's making me feel a little silly and happy to think that Alissa Czisny's amateur career in skating has ended with a gold medal in her last event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    This is such sad news. Damn. Even though Alissa didn't compete at Nationals last year, I thought she'd be back. For me, this year at Nationals, it'll be like the first year watching Nationals without Michelle Kwan. It just won't feel right, and less important somehow.

ETA: It's making me feel a little silly and happy to think that Alissa Czisny's amateur career in skating has ended with a gold medal in her last event.
    Huh? I don't get this???? She won gold in her last event???? I don't think Alissa for the most part really caputured the imagination of the US like Kwan or even Sasha Cohen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Huh? I don't get this???? She won gold in her last event???? I don't think Alissa for the most part really caputured the imagination of the US like Kwan or even Sasha Cohen.
    She won a regionals event, which got her to sectionals before she WD.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Yes, as Mrs. P said. Thank you, Mrs. P.

Skater Boy, I don't want to debate with you or anyone else on this thread. I think it is quite clear that the post of mine to which you respond expresses my feelings about Czisny. Where you get the notion that I am trying to represent "the imagination of the US" in my post, I have no idea.

Why am I even responding to you? I will attribute this to a personal flaw in me.

Alissa had many years on scene-she has great opportunities-I wish her well. Beautiful spins.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast