Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gracie changing SP music?

Hybrid View

Gracie changing SP music?

TSL on their post on facebook about Alissa's withdrawl from Sectionals ended with this:

Quote Originally Posted by TSL
    On a brighter note, we were delighted to hear that Gershwin's Three Preludes is going to be a thing of the past for our ears come Nationals.
    So... does this mean she's changing her SP or??

Custom Title
    Haha you beat me to this thread!
    They confirmed in a comment, when asked, that she is in fact changing the music

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Haha you beat me to this thread!
    They confirmed in a comment, when asked, that she is in fact changing the music
    yeah they answered faster than I thought they would.

Custom Title
    Yayyyyyyyyyyy! Glad to hear that.

Darn! I was just starting to like it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had started working on the program well before now but it just wasn't ready for NHK.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Wow. That was already her second SP of the season. At this point i don't see how more changes could be helpful, she should be working on clean programs, not new choreography.

Custom Title
    I hope so. It is really difficult to pull off a program like that successfully. I can't even think of a skater who could make something of that music. Maybe Kristina Czako?

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hope so. It is really difficult to pull off a program like that successfully. I can't even think of a skater who could make something of that music. Maybe Kristina Czako?
    For some reason, I can imagine Oksana Baiul in her prime being able to do it. Maybe Kurt Browning, too.

I don't know, it was starting to grow on me, actually. And regardless of what people were saying about it, she was getting decent PCS scores with it. I don't see how putting together a whole new SP is a good move at this point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    For some reason, I can imagine Oksana Baiul in her prime being able to do it. Maybe Kurt Browning, too.

I don't know, it was starting to grow on me, actually. And regardless of what people were saying about it, she was getting decent PCS scores with it. I don't see how putting together a whole new SP is a good move at this point.
    I actually agree with this. I hate Gracie's SP music. I don't like the helicopter arms and I don't like that however frenzied Gracie tries to be, she can't match the intensity of the music. But she was getting good scores for her SP, especially at SCI. Why change something the judges seem (for reasons defying all logic and understanding) to appreciate?

Her time would be better spent getting her jump consistency back and trying to make something more compelling of her long program. She has yet to skate it cleanly in competition and the music cuts/ construction of the program leave a lot to be desired.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I am very surprised to hear this. It was a decent program and she's been getting good PCS for it.

I am surprised that she would be making that decision just because the vast majority of The Internet whined about it, because the music was too avant garde and not elevator enough. Or maybe we should indeed blame Frank instead, given how safe the vast majority of Kwan's programs were (the only program she's had that I find memorable and that left a lasting impression -The Miraculous Mandarin - she had skated at just one event, IIRC).

If it's the complaining and not Frank being dull, then well done everyone. Next time you whine about skaters using the same 20 pieces of music over and over again, well that's why.

Custom Title
    I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.
    My favorite MK program was the Miraculous Mandarin! It was such a compelling story, and allowed her to express the story, not just a mood, not unlike Salome, but with the emotional maturity a 15 year old could never master.

I am also glad Gracie is changing the short. I could see her skating to something with fire, like 'Capriccio Espagnole' by Rimsky-Korsakov.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

ita

Custom Title
    Is Frank going to try to pull off another Salome with Gracie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast