Gracie changing SP music? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Gracie changing SP music?

emily_sk8xx

Rinkside
Please, no more soft lyrical programs for Gracie. It's fairly obvious that she is not artistic. Yes, she's getting better but I don't think she's going to get much better, even with Frank. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong...Gracie is a powerful, fast, and athletic skater. She needs something that plays to her strengths. I liked her old SP (after I muted the music) and I think it fit her much better than her new one. The new one is soft and delicate and Gracie is none of those things. You don't have to be a soft and delicate skater to be a world champion, look at Miki Ando, Irina Slutskaya, etc. If they were going to scrap something, why in the world didn't they scrap Sleeping Beauty? It simply isn't working for Gracie, especially when the jumps aren't there. I think she should skate to something more fun and fast paced, especially if she's going to keep the Sleeping Beauty FS. The music might be a little juniorish, but I think Gracie could do a good job skating to Maksim Mrvica's version of Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor. Or maybe I'm a bit biased because I love Maksim Mrvica's version:laugh:

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
What a charming new program, I love it! It suits her well, and the dress is beautiful. I also like her hair in the low ponytail. This program is going to gain her more fans than the original one, for sure. She already looks comfortable skating it, after only a few weeks. Good job, Gracie!

I think she should skate to something more fun and fast paced, especially if she's going to keep the Sleeping Beauty FS.
It's too late to change the LP. Nationals is in less than a month, believe it or not.

amc987

On the Ice
Okay, I know I was leading the chorus of discontent with Gracie's old SP. But I don't know if this suits her either. The first piece was too frenetic harsh sounding. This is too soft and lyrical. I think she really could've done well with a piece of Latin music- the piece that Tuktamysheva and Aaron are using for their SPs would've worked in that it is strong music but not music that forces us to look at her as a princess-type. She also could've used something by Camille Saint-Saens or Astor Piazzolla, big music that wouldn't force her to do a lot of emoting in order for us to get its subtlety and power. Hell, the piano version of 3 Preludes (sans violin) would've been better.

My ears are thanking me already. Somehow the music cuts and Gracie's connection to them still leave something to be desired.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Gracie could do a great SP with Rock music. :rock: Maybe dressed in a unitard or even an outfit like Grishuk '94 FD.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I definitely agree with you, kwanatic. The first SP just needed a new orchestration of the music and a couple touch-ups. It was actually a GREAT program idea for her, being both fast and cheery (these are things she can deliver well!), while also having a bit of an avant-garde touch to set her apart. This whole situation is like Goldilocks...Marina went too hot and now Frank is going too cold. WHY can nobody give Gracie some palatable porridge??? Poor girl. She should have been a huge contender this season.

Only the first part is soft and pretty. The second part--the part where she does the footwork--is very powerful.

LOL, that moment of this new program when it jarringly shifts into the "powerful" section is so laughable. Totally out of nowhere, with no purpose. What a hackneyed, thrown-together waste.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please, no more soft lyrical programs for Gracie. :

Welcome to Golden Skate, emily_sk8xx! Post long & often.

BoP, I've got to agree with you on this one.

Also, I'm not thrilled that Frank has decided to tone down the explosiveness of Gracie's 3/3 either - maybe it's safer this way, but her huge jumps and quirky sense of humor were what set Gracie apart-this SP has neither :bang:

I wish she had gone to Arutunian, not Carroll.

meem

On the Ice
What a charming new program, I love it! It suits her well, and the dress is beautiful. I also like her hair in the low ponytail. This program is going to gain her more fans than the original one, for sure. She already looks comfortable skating it, after only a few weeks. Good job, Gracie!

It's too late to change the LP. Nationals is in less than a month, believe it or not.

Amen! And Lori has calmed down the "helicopter" arms (love that expression)...I think Gracie's flailing arms were harder for me to endure than that screeching music in her SP. It'll be interesting to see her perform this new program on a full size rink at Nationals. I do agree with those who say the music is too soft for GG's style of skating but as someone mentioned, this may be Frank's way of helping Gracie to further develop her artistic side. Speaking of artistic, that extra video in the link showing Alissa skating to some country music was really weird for me. I don't think she knew what to do with that music.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Amen! And Lori has calmed down the "helicopter" arms (love that expression)...I think Gracie's flailing arms were harder for me to endure than that screeching music in her SP. It'll be interesting to see her perform this new program on a full size rink at Nationals. I do agree with those who say the music is too soft for GG's style of skating but as someone mentioned, this may be Frank's way of helping Gracie to further develop her artistic side. Speaking of artistic, that extra video in the link showing Alissa skating to some country music was really weird for me. I don't think she knew what to do with that music.

Same went for Ashley with the country music. TSL has posted a pretty comprehensive reader review of the Legends show (couldn't link here), which contains some impressions of Gracie's new short and how the other Olympic hopefuls looked live.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I loved that SP and she was awesome---why did FRANK do this? New SP is blah, and like her LP. I was amazed she could skate so fast-her footwork was incredible-it was the best SP of the season!!!.. Bad move-Frank and Lori have lost it.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Frank also has pretty strong opinions when it comes to skating music. I remember reading about the 1998 season and how Michelle's music was essentially chosen for both programs by Lori and Frank, whereas Tara got to pick her own. I always felt bad for Michelle with that. When it's the Olympics, unless you have really horrifying taste I think they should go with the skater as often as possible.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Frank also has pretty strong opinions when it comes to skating music. I remember reading about the 1998 season and how Michelle's music was essentially chosen for both programs by Lori and Frank, whereas Tara got to pick her own. I always felt bad for Michelle with that. When it's the Olympics, unless you have really horrifying taste I think they should go with the skater as often as possible.

Lori and Frank chose the music, Michelle said yes because she liked them. It's not like they were forced on her.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Dear Gracie,

There was nothing wrong with the Gershwin besides the fact that the violinist had no taste. You could have replaced each cut with Heifetz's version and it would've been fine. But now, you seem to have lost your nerve. For that, I am removing you from my shrine at home and replacing your section with one devoted to Adelina and her triple flutz-triple loop.

CarneAsada

P.S. Don't take this too hard - at least sky_fly will always love you.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I think Gracie is breath-taking in this new SP. Her beauty is unsurpassed in skating.....the speed the command of the ice. I agree with Doris P. I hope Frank does not tame Gracie's exciting jumps, or slow her down excessively. She looks like a winner to me.

pista04

On the Ice
I am actually more of a fan of this program - still not perfect though. I think it is the costume....that dress is so dark and tango-esque and sensual. I feel like this could be a more nature-y pastel and work phenomenally....think Czisny in 2011 or 2012.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am actually more of a fan of this program - still not perfect though. I think it is the costume....that dress is so dark and tango-esque and sensual. I feel like this could be a more nature-y pastel and work phenomenally....think Czisny in 2011 or 2012.

Someone on another forum pointed out that Gracie seemed to have borrowed the dress from her sister Carly - who wore it, or one just like it in a competition. The user even posted pics. No doubt that Gracie will have a new dress for Nationals and (hopefully) one that fits the theme and mood of her SP music!

Here's Carly (with her competitors): http://instagram.com/p/fydMj6MAfj/

and Gracie: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...-p-g-wal-mart-tribute-to-news-photo/455234531

Which one is the older twin btw? :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Didn't like the old SP (even if I liked, as BoP said, its concept, and it would have been wonderful for Caro, for example), but I don't like this new one even more.
No horrible music, ok, but it is a "small" Sleeping Beauty FS with a different music, the only part that really works for her is the "powerful" one in the step sequence section...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I wish she had gone to Arutunian, not Carroll.

But that wouldn't make sense, would it? Ashley's training with Rafael.

Personally, I like the program. I think Gracie's still at that stage where she developing her style, and we [shouldn't] flat out just shut her down when she wants to try something new. I get that there are criticisms of the program, but to say that she should only stick to a particular type of music from now on when we've barely seen what she is capable of isn't fair. Her arm movements are lovely in this program versus the other one among other things and I'm willing to give it a chance.

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Lori and Frank chose the music, Michelle said yes because she liked them. It's not like they were forced on her.

Not the LP as much but the SP. In Brennan's book she said Michelle wasn't crazy about Lyra Angelica at first but was encouraged to listen to it in tour & green to like it. For the SP she'd wanted Spanish music but Lori & Frank didn't like it. When she listened to the Rachmaninoff, the exact book quote is "'It's good' she said hesitantly. She was still hoping for something else." But Lori talked her into it.