Gracie changing SP music? | Golden Skate

Gracie changing SP music?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
TSL on their post on facebook about Alissa's withdrawl from Sectionals ended with this:

TSL said:
[h=5]On a brighter note, we were delighted to hear that Gershwin's Three Preludes is going to be a thing of the past for our ears come Nationals.
[/h]
So... does this mean she's changing her SP or??

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Haha you beat me to this thread!
They confirmed in a comment, when asked, that she is in fact changing the music

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope so. It is really difficult to pull off a program like that successfully. I can't even think of a skater who could make something of that music. Maybe Kristina Czako?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow. That was already her second SP of the season. At this point i don't see how more changes could be helpful, she should be working on clean programs, not new choreography.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if they had started working on the program well before now but it just wasn't ready for NHK.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kudos to trying different music, but it really wasn't working for her. Glad she's actually listening to what seems to be the overwhelming reaction to her SP.

Sara

On the Ice
Gracie said in an interview right after NHK that they are planning to do some changes to her programmes with Frank. But to have a whole new SP.. wow. So now we have both Gracie and Courtney with new SPs. Courtney will skate hers for the first time in Graz, Austria this week.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm. I didn't necessarily LIKE the music for her SP, but it did sort of suit her. She's skated the SP very well.

She's botched the FS in both GPs and that music suits her not at all. I would rather she had a new FS and leave the SP alone.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I haven't known Frank to like that dissonant type music for skating programs, so he might have played a role in convincing her to drop it. Even Michelle's programs that were slightly out of mainstream (Beatles, Three Oranges) were short lived.

Sara

On the Ice
Yeah, for sure he played a big role in this!

I haven't known Frank to like that dissonant type music for skating programs, so he might have played a role in convincing her to drop it. Even Michelle's programs that were slightly out of mainstream (Beatles, Three Oranges) were short lived.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I liked it-skated very well, was fast, difficult, edgey, costume matched. I hate her LP.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I hope so. It is really difficult to pull off a program like that successfully. I can't even think of a skater who could make something of that music. Maybe Kristina Czako?

For some reason, I can imagine Oksana Baiul in her prime being able to do it. Maybe Kurt Browning, too.

I don't know, it was starting to grow on me, actually. And regardless of what people were saying about it, she was getting decent PCS scores with it. I don't see how putting together a whole new SP is a good move at this point.

amc987

On the Ice
For some reason, I can imagine Oksana Baiul in her prime being able to do it. Maybe Kurt Browning, too.

I don't know, it was starting to grow on me, actually. And regardless of what people were saying about it, she was getting decent PCS scores with it. I don't see how putting together a whole new SP is a good move at this point.

I actually agree with this. I hate Gracie's SP music. I don't like the helicopter arms and I don't like that however frenzied Gracie tries to be, she can't match the intensity of the music. But she was getting good scores for her SP, especially at SCI. Why change something the judges seem (for reasons defying all logic and understanding) to appreciate?

Her time would be better spent getting her jump consistency back and trying to make something more compelling of her long program. She has yet to skate it cleanly in competition and the music cuts/ construction of the program leave a lot to be desired.

I am very surprised to hear this. It was a decent program and she's been getting good PCS for it.

I am surprised that she would be making that decision just because the vast majority of The Internet whined about it, because the music was too avant garde and not elevator enough. Or maybe we should indeed blame Frank instead, given how safe the vast majority of Kwan's programs were (the only program she's had that I find memorable and that left a lasting impression -The Miraculous Mandarin - she had skated at just one event, IIRC).

If it's the complaining and not Frank being dull, then well done everyone. Next time you whine about skaters using the same 20 pieces of music over and over again, well that's why. :p

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.

TCAngel18

Medalist
I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.

My favorite MK program was the Miraculous Mandarin! It was such a compelling story, and allowed her to express the story, not just a mood, not unlike Salome, but with the emotional maturity a 15 year old could never master.

I am also glad Gracie is changing the short. I could see her skating to something with fire, like 'Capriccio Espagnole' by Rimsky-Korsakov.