Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Gracie changing SP music?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    For some reason, I can imagine Oksana Baiul in her prime being able to do it. Maybe Kurt Browning, too.

I don't know, it was starting to grow on me, actually. And regardless of what people were saying about it, she was getting decent PCS scores with it. I don't see how putting together a whole new SP is a good move at this point.
    I actually agree with this. I hate Gracie's SP music. I don't like the helicopter arms and I don't like that however frenzied Gracie tries to be, she can't match the intensity of the music. But she was getting good scores for her SP, especially at SCI. Why change something the judges seem (for reasons defying all logic and understanding) to appreciate?

Her time would be better spent getting her jump consistency back and trying to make something more compelling of her long program. She has yet to skate it cleanly in competition and the music cuts/ construction of the program leave a lot to be desired.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    I am very surprised to hear this. It was a decent program and she's been getting good PCS for it.

I am surprised that she would be making that decision just because the vast majority of The Internet whined about it, because the music was too avant garde and not elevator enough. Or maybe we should indeed blame Frank instead, given how safe the vast majority of Kwan's programs were (the only program she's had that I find memorable and that left a lasting impression -The Miraculous Mandarin - she had skated at just one event, IIRC).

If it's the complaining and not Frank being dull, then well done everyone. Next time you whine about skaters using the same 20 pieces of music over and over again, well that's why.

Custom Title
    I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I agree with Ziggy (for once). The SP worked for her. The FS, OTOH, doesn't. They're changing the wrong program.
    My favorite MK program was the Miraculous Mandarin! It was such a compelling story, and allowed her to express the story, not just a mood, not unlike Salome, but with the emotional maturity a 15 year old could never master.

I am also glad Gracie is changing the short. I could see her skating to something with fire, like 'Capriccio Espagnole' by Rimsky-Korsakov.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

ita

Custom Title
    Well we don't know that it was changed because of internet whining! That assumes that someone on Gracie's team, or Gracie herself, reads this fan forum. Maybe she didn't like it herself. I'm just glad I don't have to listen to it again. But I wonder about the wiseness of changing such an important part of her package at this late date.

TSL didn't say what she's changing it to, for all we know she could be going back to last year's SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    TSL didn't say what she's changing it to, for all we know she could be going back to last year's SP?
    Oh, no. Please don't.

Three Preludes is difficult music to skate to, especially the violin version. Piano version might've worked better for Gracie.

Marina Z. actually used this music for Katia Gordeeva for a Stars on Ice program in her pro singles career, and the music works better as an exhibition. Not to mention Gordeeva had the charm and presence to carry it off.

Two versions of Gordeeva's program:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...preludes_music
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33...preludes_sport

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    Three Preludes is difficult music to skate to, especially the violin version. Piano version might've worked better for Gracie.

Marina Z. actually used this music for Katia Gordeeva for a Stars on Ice program in her pro singles career, and the music works better as an exhibition. Not to mention Gordeeva had the charm and presence to carry it off.

Those are absolutely wonderful. I'd never seen them before but I'm glad I have now. I like Gracie's SP and think it suits her style, but after seeing Gordeeva I understand more clearly what the SP should be (or at least, what it aspires to be) and can see where Gracie is not entirely successful. I'd rather she kept it but given that the decision seems final, I just hope her new SP has enough time to cook to be put into use for the rest of the season. And also, is Zoueva just recycling programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post

Thank you for the link. First time to see this, and it's much much more enjoyable.
    Sorry Gracie, (am your fan though) you have a lot to go.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    And also, is Zoueva just recycling programs?
    In short, yes.

Gosh I am also surprised by this. I really thought the FS would be changed as she was doing fairly well with the SP. To bad they can't just replace the violins with the piano version of Gershwin's 3 Preludes.

Another kind of edgy program that Michelle tried was "Rush" which only lasted maybe one competition. It was choreographed by Christopher Dean IIRC, and supposedly the judges didn't care for the music.

Custom Title
    So disappointed, thought the Violin version is brilliant - witty, jaunty, sweetly humorous, very roaring 20s yet not too retro. This would definitely have a broader appeal and fits GG's skating to a T. And what's wrong with flapping arms if that's part of the program? I don't like her LP, a real wreck, but quite impressed by this SP. I don't want to see the same skating from every skater!

Custom Title
    this is such a shame, I love this gracie's SP, it suits her so well. if anything, her LP music choice is the poor one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast