Gracie changing SP music? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie changing SP music?

noskates

Record Breaker
Well we don't know that it was changed because of internet whining! That assumes that someone on Gracie's team, or Gracie herself, reads this fan forum. Maybe she didn't like it herself. I'm just glad I don't have to listen to it again. But I wonder about the wiseness of changing such an important part of her package at this late date.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
TSL didn't say what she's changing it to, for all we know she could be going back to last year's SP?

Victura

On the Ice
Three Preludes is difficult music to skate to, especially the violin version. Piano version might've worked better for Gracie.

Marina Z. actually used this music for Katia Gordeeva for a Stars on Ice program in her pro singles career, and the music works better as an exhibition. Not to mention Gordeeva had the charm and presence to carry it off.

Two versions of Gordeeva's program:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16po6_1998-soi-three-preludes_music
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x333k_1998-three-preludes_sport

penguin

On the Ice
Three Preludes is difficult music to skate to, especially the violin version. Piano version might've worked better for Gracie.

Marina Z. actually used this music for Katia Gordeeva for a Stars on Ice program in her pro singles career, and the music works better as an exhibition. Not to mention Gordeeva had the charm and presence to carry it off.

Those are absolutely wonderful. I'd never seen them before but I'm glad I have now. I like Gracie's SP and think it suits her style, but after seeing Gordeeva I understand more clearly what the SP should be (or at least, what it aspires to be) and can see where Gracie is not entirely successful. I'd rather she kept it but given that the decision seems final, I just hope her new SP has enough time to cook to be put into use for the rest of the season. And also, is Zoueva just recycling programs?

cinnamon

On the Ice

Thank you for the link. First time to see this, and it's much much more enjoyable.
Sorry Gracie, (am your fan though) you have a lot to go.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gosh I am also surprised by this. I really thought the FS would be changed as she was doing fairly well with the SP. To bad they can't just replace the violins with the piano version of Gershwin's 3 Preludes.

Another kind of edgy program that Michelle tried was "Rush" which only lasted maybe one competition. It was choreographed by Christopher Dean IIRC, and supposedly the judges didn't care for the music.

qwertyskates

Medalist
So disappointed, thought the Violin version is brilliant - witty, jaunty, sweetly humorous, very roaring 20s yet not too retro. This would definitely have a broader appeal and fits GG's skating to a T. And what's wrong with flapping arms if that's part of the program? I don't like her LP, a real wreck, but quite impressed by this SP. I don't want to see the same skating from every skater!

daphna

On the Ice
this is such a shame, I love this gracie's SP, it suits her so well. if anything, her LP music choice is the poor one.

Icey

Record Breaker
My favorite MK program was the Miraculous Mandarin! It was such a compelling story, and allowed her to express the story, not just a mood, not unlike Salome, but with the emotional maturity a 15 year old could never master.

I am also glad Gracie is changing the short. I could see her skating to something with fire, like 'Capriccio Espagnole' by Rimsky-Korsakov.

Yes, Mandarin could have been a masterpiece. Too bad it got dropped.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Between getting a new coach after the season starts and now scrapping her SP with a new one no judge will have seen before Nationals it's almost like Gracie is doing everything she can NOT to make it to Sochi. She just needs to work on her jumps right now to make it to the Olympics not spend time on yet another new program.

minze

Medalist
I am sorry, but who ever picked her programs this season must be Ashley fans. The arms movements on the SP do not work. I dont think Gracie is comfortable with her programs as opposed to Julia who is not great artistically IMO, but found progams that suit her.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm thinking Gracie was uncomfortable enough with her SP that she was willing to scrap it. I'm reserving an opinion until I see/hear what she comes up with. I doubt this decision was made in a cavalier manner and probably alot of thought was put into it - weighing the pros and cons.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Problem is Frank Carroll likes his skaters to have programs that someone like Michelle Kwan would skate to. Gracie is not that kind of skater and i'm afraid that's what he's going to do. She needs something that Irina would have skated to that would highlight her speed and power. Anyone know who the choreographer will be?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Problem is Frank Carroll likes his skaters to have programs that someone like Michelle Kwan would skate to. Gracie is not that kind of skater and i'm afraid that's what he's going to do. She needs something that Irina would have skated to that would highlight her speed and power. Anyone know who the choreographer will be?

I agree that Gracie shouldn't skate to East of Eden or anything similar. I also hope Lori Nichol is not the choreographer, but I think she will be. My suggestion for Gracie--the techno Totentanz that Irina used (and that Michelle was going to use) for the 2006 Olympics.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that it is a great prity that she is changing the music (she definetely should not read forums!!!). I did not get the impression that the music bothered the judges, and their opinion is the only that counts for a competitive programme. If she is doing it because of some fan opinions, she is showing a weakness in character.

pista04

On the Ice
I would love her go super modern, contemporary and young with this. In an Olympic year, I think it would be a fabulous idea to be nationalistic with a program choice, and what's more American that the cinema? I would love to see her skate to the score from Lincoln or a score from Thor/Transformers. They are beautiful, modern, and are simple enough for her to really embody. Her skating is not mature enough for classical music.