Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Gracie changing SP music?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TCAngel18 View Post
    My favorite MK program was the Miraculous Mandarin! It was such a compelling story, and allowed her to express the story, not just a mood, not unlike Salome, but with the emotional maturity a 15 year old could never master.

I am also glad Gracie is changing the short. I could see her skating to something with fire, like 'Capriccio Espagnole' by Rimsky-Korsakov.
    Yes, Mandarin could have been a masterpiece. Too bad it got dropped.

Custom Title
    Between getting a new coach after the season starts and now scrapping her SP with a new one no judge will have seen before Nationals it's almost like Gracie is doing everything she can NOT to make it to Sochi. She just needs to work on her jumps right now to make it to the Olympics not spend time on yet another new program.

I am sorry, but who ever picked her programs this season must be Ashley fans. The arms movements on the SP do not work. I dont think Gracie is comfortable with her programs as opposed to Julia who is not great artistically IMO, but found progams that suit her.

Custom Title
    I'm thinking Gracie was uncomfortable enough with her SP that she was willing to scrap it. I'm reserving an opinion until I see/hear what she comes up with. I doubt this decision was made in a cavalier manner and probably alot of thought was put into it - weighing the pros and cons.

Custom Title
    Problem is Frank Carroll likes his skaters to have programs that someone like Michelle Kwan would skate to. Gracie is not that kind of skater and i'm afraid that's what he's going to do. She needs something that Irina would have skated to that would highlight her speed and power. Anyone know who the choreographer will be?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Problem is Frank Carroll likes his skaters to have programs that someone like Michelle Kwan would skate to. Gracie is not that kind of skater and i'm afraid that's what he's going to do. She needs something that Irina would have skated to that would highlight her speed and power. Anyone know who the choreographer will be?
    I agree that Gracie shouldn't skate to East of Eden or anything similar. I also hope Lori Nichol is not the choreographer, but I think she will be. My suggestion for Gracie--the techno Totentanz that Irina used (and that Michelle was going to use) for the 2006 Olympics.

Custom Title
    I think that it is a great prity that she is changing the music (she definetely should not read forums!!!). I did not get the impression that the music bothered the judges, and their opinion is the only that counts for a competitive programme. If she is doing it because of some fan opinions, she is showing a weakness in character.

Custom Title
    I don't think she have a time for new program. Maybe she can use her old SP.

Custom Title
    I'm curious to see her new programme!

Courtney's new SP music is Angelica (Hans Zimmerman) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DCWrhn4N0
    I like it a lot!

I would love her go super modern, contemporary and young with this. In an Olympic year, I think it would be a fabulous idea to be nationalistic with a program choice, and what's more American that the cinema? I would love to see her skate to the score from Lincoln or a score from Thor/Transformers. They are beautiful, modern, and are simple enough for her to really embody. Her skating is not mature enough for classical music.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think (or at least hope) that he knows a Kwan-esque program isn't in Gracie's "wheelhouse". There is a general consensus on this board that she is a "power" skater and should be skating to music to showcase that aspect of her artistry, so I'd be surprised if her team doesn't see the same thing.

Or, she can go classical with a modern twist (like she did for her Junior SP) with another Deviations Project piece or with something by Wolf Hoffman.

DMD, if everyone agrees (including FrankC and co) that she's a power skater, they will likely pick something like what Bebe Liang had musically when working with FrankC. Didn't she have a delightful program to Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Great. Just when Gershwin was growing on me... I almost think it is a wonderful program for Gracie and her lack of an individual style Granted I never heard it live in an arena, where it apparently is excruciating to listen to, but I liked her arms and her presentation to it. As for if it should ever be interpreted? Well, I suppose not, if Frank puts the kibosh on it.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    When I saw this I was thinking of Bebe's Sorcerer's Apprentice for Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Yes, Mandarin could have been a masterpiece. Too bad it got dropped.
    Stupid old-fashioned judges. I think if she had the whole season to work out the kinks, MK would have been a shoe-in for gold in Salt Lake City.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast