Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Gracie changing SP music?

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    This was posted by user marysy (along with vids from a few other skaters at the show):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idjEkR-Bs8

I think it's a nice program for Gracie and by Nationals it could be a great thing. I still don't think there was any need to change her original SP when she was scoring so well with it. And I personally didn't have a problem with the music.

OT but here's Alissa's skate since she was brought in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xW18UWOMsk
    Thank you!

The music is so much better on the ears; I do prefer this program to the screechy one.

Tripping on the Podium
    the thing about gracie is that i can really appreciate the individual elements (like, nice triple combo, nice layback spin, et al), but the sum of these parts don't add up to the whole. don't get me wrong: if she hits, she'll score big. but it's terribly disjointed to me, and at least the previous gershwin's brashness and angularity seemed better at disguising that quality.

Custom Title
    For me, Gracie looks so much more elegant and refined than before. Part of it is that I love her costume here, but she is also using her arms better. This partnership with Frank looks like it is going to help her improve in area which she needed the most help (artistry).

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    To be honest, painfully screechy violin music and windmill-y footwork aside, there was nothing that wrong with her first program. When I watched it with the music turned down it was okay. I think a different version of the music and a reworking of the footwork would have been fine...I'm not sure why they decided the scrap the entire thing. If anything her FS is what needed a complete do-over.

This new program is very blah and meh...bleh...it's a bleh program. It's all soft and pwetty and I just don't get why they keep steering this incredibly fast and powerful skater down this soft and delicate road with these programs. Why can no one give this poor girl a program that highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses? Powerful fast skater = powerful fast music to highlight all of the power and speed. It's not rocket science people... This is your typical run-of-the-mill generic pretty skating program. I do think her spins looked very fast in the video so that's a plus, but her arms are still too stiff and straight...I don't know if they'll ever be able to fix that. But overall, this is nothing special, unique or memorable.

Personally I think they should have spent their time working on her jumps; not redoing her SP. That's what's been what's missing this season. We all know it doesn't matter what she skates to as long as she lands the jumps and she hasn't been landing them. That's where the focus should have been. Now she'll have the task of debuting a new program at the most pressure-filled event of her life which is adding to the pressure she's already under, and we all know Gracie doesn't manage pressure well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    To be honest, painfully screechy violin music and windmill-y footwork aside, there was nothing that wrong with her first program. When I watched it with the music turned down it was okay. I think a different version of the music and a reworking of the footwork would have been fine...I'm not sure why they decided the scrap the entire thing. If anything her FS is what needed a complete do-over.

This new program is very blah and meh...bleh...it's a bleh program. It's all soft and pwetty and I just don't get why they keep steering this incredibly fast and powerful skater down this soft and delicate road with these programs. Why can no one give this poor girl a program that highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses? Powerful fast skater = powerful fast music to highlight all of the power and speed. It's not rocket science people... This is your typical run-of-the-mill generic pretty skating program. I do think her spins looked very fast in the video so that's a plus, but her arms are still too stiff and straight...I don't know if they'll ever be able to fix that. But overall, this is nothing special, unique or memorable.
    Only the first part is soft and pretty. The second part--the part where she does the footwork--is very powerful. Unfortunately, I don't think Gracie is up to interpreting this powerful music. Too bad Lori didn't give this music to Carolina this year. But the bottom line for Gracie is that this is much better than her Gershwin program, music-wise. The soft part helps her to restrain her helicopter arms and she may grow into the second part.

Custom Title
    This new program is very blah and meh...bleh...it's a bleh program. It's all soft and pwetty and I just don't get why they keep steering this incredibly fast and powerful skater down this soft and delicate road with these programs. Why can no one give this poor girl a program that highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses? Powerful fast skater = powerful fast music to highlight all of the power and speed. It's not rocket science people...
    I agree with you, and the only thing that I can think of it that they are trying to create programs that are more palatable for the judges. While we see her as a power skater, maybe she sees herself as an artistic skater who is great at jumps. I do like this program (if only because I hated the last one) and it will score near 70 if skated well, which is about all we can ask from her at this point in her career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I agree with you, and the only thing that I can think of it that they are trying to create programs that are more palatable for the judges. While we see her as a power skater, maybe she sees herself as an artistic skater who is great at jumps. I do like this program (if only because I hated the last one) and it will score near 70 if skated well, which is about all we can ask from her at this point in her career.
    The judges were fine with her original program. They were certainly giving her relatively high PCS for it. It's the online forum buzz that was very negative on it.

skating philosopher
    As someone that like the first SP just fine, I think this program is lovely. The Grieg piece isn't a huge warhorse (I believe the last time we heard it was when Miki did it in 2011?) and it does seem she is making improvements in presentation.

Also, she had to adjust the program to a smaller rink, so I don't think it's the best representation of what the program could be.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I agree and I'm sure it's Frank who demanded this change. From Tiffany Chin to Michelle Kwan to Evan Lysacek, all of Frank's skaters have been known for their presentation and artistry. Technically, they were all strong skaters but the technical side wasn't their forte; the artistic side was. I don't think Frank has ever had a skater whose forte was the technical, so he's just going with what he knows. Rather than giving Gracie Tosca, Carmina Burana or something strong and powerful to skate to, he's trying to encourage her artistic side to catch up with her technical side.

The program is nice and Gracie skates it well...but not as convincingly as someone who is naturally inclined to be artistic and graceful. Gracie is learning to be artistic and graceful; it's not natural to her and (to me) I can clearly see that in her delivery.

Rinkside
    I agree and I'm sure it's Frank who demanded this change. From Tiffany Chin to Michelle Kwan to Evan Lysacek, all of Frank's skaters have been known for their presentation and artistry. Technically, they were all strong skaters but the technical side wasn't their forte; the artistic side was. I don't think Frank has ever had a skater whose forte was the technical, so he's just going with what he knows. Rather than giving Gracie Tosca, Carmina Burana or something strong and powerful to skate to, he's trying to encourage her artistic side to catch up with her technical side.

The program is nice and Gracie skates it well...but not as convincingly as someone who is naturally inclined to be artistic and graceful. Gracie is learning to be artistic and graceful; it's not natural to her and (to me) I can clearly see that in her delivery.
    Ummmmm Frank did coach Tim Goebel....but I get your point.

I like the new SP much more than the previous one. Thank GOD she spared us from that horrible music.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lovintabbs85 View Post
    Ummmmm Frank did coach Tim Goebel....but I get your point.
    To be fair, Tim was already accomplished when he came to Frank, but Frank did do what he could to improve Tim's second mark.

Rinkside
    Please, no more soft lyrical programs for Gracie. It's fairly obvious that she is not artistic. Yes, she's getting better but I don't think she's going to get much better, even with Frank. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong...Gracie is a powerful, fast, and athletic skater. She needs something that plays to her strengths. I liked her old SP (after I muted the music) and I think it fit her much better than her new one. The new one is soft and delicate and Gracie is none of those things. You don't have to be a soft and delicate skater to be a world champion, look at Miki Ando, Irina Slutskaya, etc. If they were going to scrap something, why in the world didn't they scrap Sleeping Beauty? It simply isn't working for Gracie, especially when the jumps aren't there. I think she should skate to something more fun and fast paced, especially if she's going to keep the Sleeping Beauty FS. The music might be a little juniorish, but I think Gracie could do a good job skating to Maksim Mrvica's version of Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor. Or maybe I'm a bit biased because I love Maksim Mrvica's version

What a charming new program, I love it! It suits her well, and the dress is beautiful. I also like her hair in the low ponytail. This program is going to gain her more fans than the original one, for sure. She already looks comfortable skating it, after only a few weeks. Good job, Gracie!

Quote Originally Posted by emily_sk8xx View Post
    I think she should skate to something more fun and fast paced, especially if she's going to keep the Sleeping Beauty FS.
    It's too late to change the LP. Nationals is in less than a month, believe it or not.

Custom Title
    Okay, I know I was leading the chorus of discontent with Gracie's old SP. But I don't know if this suits her either. The first piece was too frenetic harsh sounding. This is too soft and lyrical. I think she really could've done well with a piece of Latin music- the piece that Tuktamysheva and Aaron are using for their SPs would've worked in that it is strong music but not music that forces us to look at her as a princess-type. She also could've used something by Camille Saint-Saens or Astor Piazzolla, big music that wouldn't force her to do a lot of emoting in order for us to get its subtlety and power. Hell, the piano version of 3 Preludes (sans violin) would've been better.

My ears are thanking me already. Somehow the music cuts and Gracie's connection to them still leave something to be desired.

I think Gracie could do a great SP with Rock music. Maybe dressed in a unitard or even an outfit like Grishuk '94 FD.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast