Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 135

Thread: Gracie changing SP music?

  1. #106
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,967
    I definitely agree with you, kwanatic. The first SP just needed a new orchestration of the music and a couple touch-ups. It was actually a GREAT program idea for her, being both fast and cheery (these are things she can deliver well!), while also having a bit of an avant-garde touch to set her apart. This whole situation is like Goldilocks...Marina went too hot and now Frank is going too cold. WHY can nobody give Gracie some palatable porridge??? Poor girl. She should have been a huge contender this season.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Only the first part is soft and pretty. The second part--the part where she does the footwork--is very powerful.
    LOL, that moment of this new program when it jarringly shifts into the "powerful" section is so laughable. Totally out of nowhere, with no purpose. What a hackneyed, thrown-together waste.

  2. #107
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,299
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_sk8xx View Post
    Please, no more soft lyrical programs for Gracie. :
    Welcome to Golden Skate, emily_sk8xx! Post long & often.

    BoP, I've got to agree with you on this one.

    Also, I'm not thrilled that Frank has decided to tone down the explosiveness of Gracie's 3/3 either - maybe it's safer this way, but her huge jumps and quirky sense of humor were what set Gracie apart-this SP has neither


    I wish she had gone to Arutunian, not Carroll.

  3. #108
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    What a charming new program, I love it! It suits her well, and the dress is beautiful. I also like her hair in the low ponytail. This program is going to gain her more fans than the original one, for sure. She already looks comfortable skating it, after only a few weeks. Good job, Gracie!


    It's too late to change the LP. Nationals is in less than a month, believe it or not.
    Amen! And Lori has calmed down the "helicopter" arms (love that expression)...I think Gracie's flailing arms were harder for me to endure than that screeching music in her SP. It'll be interesting to see her perform this new program on a full size rink at Nationals. I do agree with those who say the music is too soft for GG's style of skating but as someone mentioned, this may be Frank's way of helping Gracie to further develop her artistic side. Speaking of artistic, that extra video in the link showing Alissa skating to some country music was really weird for me. I don't think she knew what to do with that music.

  4. #109
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    Amen! And Lori has calmed down the "helicopter" arms (love that expression)...I think Gracie's flailing arms were harder for me to endure than that screeching music in her SP. It'll be interesting to see her perform this new program on a full size rink at Nationals. I do agree with those who say the music is too soft for GG's style of skating but as someone mentioned, this may be Frank's way of helping Gracie to further develop her artistic side. Speaking of artistic, that extra video in the link showing Alissa skating to some country music was really weird for me. I don't think she knew what to do with that music.
    Same went for Ashley with the country music. TSL has posted a pretty comprehensive reader review of the Legends show (couldn't link here), which contains some impressions of Gracie's new short and how the other Olympic hopefuls looked live.

  5. #110
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584
    I loved that SP and she was awesome---why did FRANK do this? New SP is blah, and like her LP. I was amazed she could skate so fast-her footwork was incredible-it was the best SP of the season!!!.. Bad move-Frank and Lori have lost it.

  6. #111
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    54
    Frank also has pretty strong opinions when it comes to skating music. I remember reading about the 1998 season and how Michelle's music was essentially chosen for both programs by Lori and Frank, whereas Tara got to pick her own. I always felt bad for Michelle with that. When it's the Olympics, unless you have really horrifying taste I think they should go with the skater as often as possible.

  7. #112
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundtracksOnIce View Post
    Frank also has pretty strong opinions when it comes to skating music. I remember reading about the 1998 season and how Michelle's music was essentially chosen for both programs by Lori and Frank, whereas Tara got to pick her own. I always felt bad for Michelle with that. When it's the Olympics, unless you have really horrifying taste I think they should go with the skater as often as possible.
    Lori and Frank chose the music, Michelle said yes because she liked them. It's not like they were forced on her.

  8. #113
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    989
    Dear Gracie,

    There was nothing wrong with the Gershwin besides the fact that the violinist had no taste. You could have replaced each cut with Heifetz's version and it would've been fine. But now, you seem to have lost your nerve. For that, I am removing you from my shrine at home and replacing your section with one devoted to Adelina and her triple flutz-triple loop.

    CarneAsada

    P.S. Don't take this too hard - at least sky_fly will always love you.

  9. #114
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584
    oh, poor gracie-replaced by adelina-ugh.

  10. #115
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    208
    I think Gracie is breath-taking in this new SP. Her beauty is unsurpassed in skating.....the speed the command of the ice. I agree with Doris P. I hope Frank does not tame Gracie's exciting jumps, or slow her down excessively. She looks like a winner to me.

  11. #116
    Custom Title pista04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    306
    I am actually more of a fan of this program - still not perfect though. I think it is the costume....that dress is so dark and tango-esque and sensual. I feel like this could be a more nature-y pastel and work phenomenally....think Czisny in 2011 or 2012.

  12. #117
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I am actually more of a fan of this program - still not perfect though. I think it is the costume....that dress is so dark and tango-esque and sensual. I feel like this could be a more nature-y pastel and work phenomenally....think Czisny in 2011 or 2012.
    Someone on another forum pointed out that Gracie seemed to have borrowed the dress from her sister Carly - who wore it, or one just like it in a competition. The user even posted pics. No doubt that Gracie will have a new dress for Nationals and (hopefully) one that fits the theme and mood of her SP music!

    Here's Carly (with her competitors): http://instagram.com/p/fydMj6MAfj/

    and Gracie: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/455234531

    Which one is the older twin btw?

  13. #118
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,766
    Didn't like the old SP (even if I liked, as BoP said, its concept, and it would have been wonderful for Caro, for example), but I don't like this new one even more.
    No horrible music, ok, but it is a "small" Sleeping Beauty FS with a different music, the only part that really works for her is the "powerful" one in the step sequence section...

  14. #119
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I wish she had gone to Arutunian, not Carroll.
    But that wouldn't make sense, would it? Ashley's training with Rafael.

    Personally, I like the program. I think Gracie's still at that stage where she developing her style, and we [shouldn't] flat out just shut her down when she wants to try something new. I get that there are criticisms of the program, but to say that she should only stick to a particular type of music from now on when we've barely seen what she is capable of isn't fair. Her arm movements are lovely in this program versus the other one among other things and I'm willing to give it a chance.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-15-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: "should vs. shouldn't" makes a lot of difference ...

  15. #120
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Lori and Frank chose the music, Michelle said yes because she liked them. It's not like they were forced on her.
    Not the LP as much but the SP. In Brennan's book she said Michelle wasn't crazy about Lyra Angelica at first but was encouraged to listen to it in tour & green to like it. For the SP she'd wanted Spanish music but Lori & Frank didn't like it. When she listened to the Rachmaninoff, the exact book quote is "'It's good' she said hesitantly. She was still hoping for something else." But Lori talked her into it.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •