Sergei Grinkov | Golden Skate

Sergei Grinkov

96skiluvr

On the Ice
The "Say Something Nice" thread inspired me to create this thread.

For those of you unaware, today (November 20th) is the 18th anniversary of the death of the great Sergei Grinkov. I thought this thread could be used to post favorite memories, programs, videos, etc. Anything in memory of one of the greatest skaters of all time, who died long before he should have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMl3g7PSgA -a lovely tribute that ABC did shortly after his death

RIP Sergei. You will never be forgotten.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He was part of a legendary couple/pair. So beautiful were or are G and G. Forever young he shall be remembered. It is hard to see katia skate alone and be with another man. Pairs like G and G are a rarity. it isn't just perfection or big tricks or musicality - you have the magic or you don't - it is God given.

noskates

Record Breaker
I remember the day he died. A friend's husband came into the room and said "hey, did you hear about that Russian figure skating guy that died today!" We couldn't believe it was Sergei. I will forever judge pairs teams using G&G as the benchmark. Have to "ditto" Skater Boy. You either have the magic or you don't and so many pairs teams today are just doing gymnastics on ice!

I also remember that day and who told me about Sergei. I remember the brief TV interviews of other skaters in the days following the death, and one that stuck in my mind was Jenni Meno and Todd Sand. They were already a couple, and as they sat together and spoke of Katia and Sergei (against whom they'd competed in the recent Olympics), you noticed that they were holding hands tightly, as if feeling the shadow of fear over their own lives. The Stars on Ice group must have felt as though they had been struck by lightning, because they were all so close by this time, and besides, they had all been together at the time doing their rehearsals for the tour.

In some skating event soon afterward (or maybe the event had been held earlier and was just televised soon afterward), Michelle skated East of Eden for just about the first time, at the age of about 14. I remember sobbing as I watched her, because that music is so poignant.

Supposedly this is from one of her 1995 telecast versions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOT1oQGV3A

Sergei's memory will always be treasured by skating fans. One of his few flaws was that he just didn't stay with us long enough.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Eighteen years? Wow. I remember that day so well, my mom told me when I was getting ready for school. I couldn't believe it, it still seems hard to believe. I was like "What do you mean he had a heart attack and died? He was twenty eight. Healthy, athletic young people don't die from heart attacks!". Part of me still feels that way.

My favourite thing about them was. . . everything. How in sync they were, how effortless they made it all look and how in love with each other they were. RIP, Sergei.

heyang

Record Breaker
G&G is also my ideal pairs team. The quality of their skating and connection is so hard to match. They were magical from the 1st moment I saw them on TV.

Unfortunately, I never saw them skating live. I did go to the SOI Memorial to Sergei - my 1st live show and my 1st SOI. I still have the program.

Here's my favorite routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBVXEz17HE

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A friend called me from work to tell me the news. :cry:

Loved them since we first saw them during the 1988 Calgary Olympics. We will never forget them. So grateful that Katia has survived this terrible loss and has found happiness with Ilia & family.

coppertop1

On the Ice
A friend called me from work to tell me the news. :cry:

Loved them since we first saw them during the 1988 Calgary Olympics. We will never forget them. So grateful that Katia has survived this terrible loss and has found happiness with Ilia & family.

I'm glad she found love again, she was far too young to be a widow and single mom and bury her heart, plus Daria needs a father and Sergei wouldn't want her to be alone for the rest of her life.

Reading her autobigoraphy, "My Sergei" I really appreciated how tough Sergei's loss was, she was groomed as a pairs champion, she fell in love with and married her pairs partner. She was so sheltered from life until then and had to learn so much about the harsh reality.

I loved their Rodin Number. Heck, I loved every program they did.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Unfortunately I was not able to post a message yesterday. But, I would still like to take this opportunity to acknowledge this sad anniversary.

Eighteen years? Wow. I remember that day so well, my mom told me when I was getting ready for school. I couldn't believe it, it still seems hard to believe. I was like "What do you mean he had a heart attack and died? He was twenty eight. Healthy, athletic young people don't die from heart attacks!". Part of me still feels that way.

I only got into skating this side of the Millennium, so it is only relatively recently that I heard Sergei's story. And, I have to admit, my reaction was exactly the same as your's, coppertop1.

I still find it hard to believe. Especially as I am now the same age Sergei was when he died.

But, regardless of this, he was still too young...

G&G is also my ideal pairs team. The quality of their skating and connection is so hard to match. They were magical from the 1st moment I saw them on TV.

Unfortunately, I never saw them skating live.

I am in the same boat. But, I have seen quite a few videos of Katia and Sergei, and they were simply amazing! Spellbinding, even.

It is almost impossible not to get emotional when you watch them. Yes, part of that is knowing what happened poor Sergei. But a lot of it is because of the quality of what you are seeing on the ice.

In a way, I am glad that I have only seen the videos in recent years. I would have been too young to fully appreciate the magic of the routines if I had seen them at the time.

And magic they were.

I would just like to echo the comments that a lot of people have made in this thread. Gordeeva and Grinkov were without doubt the benchmark in Pairs skating. And, like a lot of people, I believe that they still are.

And to still be talked about in that way 20 years later says a lot about just how amazing they were.

So grateful that Katia has survived this terrible loss and has found happiness with Ilia & family.

I'm glad she found love again, she was far too young to be a widow and single mom and bury her heart, plus Daria needs a father and Sergei wouldn't want her to be alone for the rest of her life.

Well said, iluvtodd and coppertop1. Those are sentiments everybody can agree with and relate to.

My thoughts go out to Katia, Daria and all of Sergei's family and friends.

We will forever remember him.

Gordon