Johnny Weir Guest Stars On 'Dora The Explorer' | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Guest Stars On 'Dora The Explorer'

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Never in a million years did I ever think Johnny Weir would be on a kids' show--let alone "Dora the Explorer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ523t1QnaU

To be honest, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole idea, but good for him. Also, the costume seems muted (for him, at least), but I like it. :)

:thumbsup: "A little sparkle never hurts." :yes:

Still, I think the smart money's on the Ice Witch. ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm enjoying seeing Johnny break out and do things you'd never expect! Cute.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's a cartoon people; it's a cartoon. It is not like they said the Ice witch did a spread eagle into a butterfly then a one footed axel with a triple lutz tacked on after the axel (which is not possible).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm enjoying seeing Johnny break out and do things you'd never expect! ...

And Weir has the attention/respect of academia (no less than Columbia University), too:

The Sochi Olympics and the Role of Athletes
Monday, December 2, 2013
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Sulzberger Parlor, 3rd Floor Barnard Hall
Please join the Harriman Institute and the Barnard Department of Political Science for a discussion with Johnny Weir and Victor Weir-Voronov as they share their views on what role athletes may play during the Sochi Olympics.
http://harriman.columbia.edu/event/sochi-olympics-and-role-athletes

By its own description, "the Harriman Institute at Columbia University is one of the world’s leading academic institutions for the study of Russia, Eurasia, and East Central Europe."

Registration is open to students, faculty, and staff from Columbia University, Barnard College, and Teachers College.

Seems possible that video of the event will be available later.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Being from a large extended family with lots of children, I feel like I know Dora personally.
So nice that Johnny is on this show, love it!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kids are not idiots, especially if they have any real interest in skating. My 6 year old could tell you that's not a real jump.

Most kids (or people, actually) have no interest in skating. Reporters frequently misidentify jumps in new articles. I am glad they got Johnny on there and for me it doesn't detract from the cartoon if Dora didn't do a 3T.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kids are not idiots, especially if they have any real interest in skating. My 6 year old could tell you that's not a real jump.
Dora also doesn't have enough transitions, it's all stroke-stroke-jump.

It's a cartoon. I hope your six year old also knows that cartoons are not the same as real life.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Most kids (or people, actually) have no interest in skating. Reporters frequently misidentify jumps in new articles. I am glad they got Johnny on there and for me it doesn't detract from the cartoon if Dora didn't do a 3T.

What Dora can't do a 3T???!!!??? At her age - what is she - six it is all over. She can probably only do the same jumps as Alissa Czisny and Caroline Zhang minus the mule kick. She might as well pack it in and prepare to serve frozen yogurt for life. Darn that ice witch. She is going to win it all. And we all know what rhymes with witch. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What Dora can't do a 3T???!!!??? At her age - what is she - six it is all over. She can probably only do the same jumps as Alissa Czisny and Caroline Zhang minus the mule kick. She might as well pack it in and prepare to serve frozen yogurt for life. Darn that ice witch. She is going to win it all. And we all know what rhymes with witch. :)

Maybe they could get Scott H to commentate and make the Ice Witch Russian :laugh:

Peppermint Patty is the Sonia Henie of cartoon figure skaters.

What's cool is that Charles Schultz is in the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame. :rock:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Peppermint Patty has a much better spiral than Sonja Henie. She is the cartoon Cecilia Colledge. She does a spiffy single axel too.