Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

David21

On the Ice
2foot landing is a big error and the guidelines say -3GOE is recommended. The jump was big, so -3 +1 = -2 is appropriate. The step sequence was slow and laboured.

I don't think that Agnes had a real two-foot. The rules say there is only -1 for touch down of free foot (I think the amount of weight transfer is the difference between a touch down or a two foot).
Anyway, I'm not per se against giving Agnes a -2 for the triple lutz. But when a skater like Mao does almost teh exact same mistake on her triple axel, AND underrotates the jump, AND has weak landing with a turn-out and gets the same (or even better) GOEs as Agnes, then there is something wrong with the judging. The judges already have enough room to manipulate the marks with the PCS (see Lipnitskaya), at least the TES should be applied consistantly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just watched Mirai's SP.. who is that Eurosport guy? Mirai did not compete in Torino Olympics and she is not on the Japanese national team.. That's why I never enjoyed Eurosports commentating because they don't seem to know anything.

He misspoke. It happens. Wasn't Worlds in Torino that year?

During TEB, someone on Eurosport referred to Patrick Chan as representing China -- according to posts that I read in the Chan fan thread.

Was it the same person who made the mistake about Nagasu and Japan?
If so, "He misspoke. It happens." is a lame excuse. :bang:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Does anyone else think Kanako needs to ditch this SP? I just don't like it and she hasn't scored well with it at all this season. I really hope she goes back to her SP from last year or the year before...this one is doing her no favors.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
He misspoke. It happens. Wasn't Worlds in Torino that year?

Yes, the only Worlds that Nagasu attended was in Turin, ITA. That's what I figured he meant. Otherwise Nagasu would have been 12 at the 2006 Olympics in Turin.

minze

Medalist
Does anyone else think Kanako needs to ditch this SP? I just don't like it and she hasn't scored well with it at all this season. I really hope she goes back to her SP from last year or the year before...this one is doing her no favors.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing that sp does not work

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During TEB, someone on Eurosport referred to Patrick Chan as representing China -- according to posts that I read in the Chan fan thread.

Did he say she was on the Japanese team? I missed that. I was referring to his comment about Mirai in Torino.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
kwanatic said:

I'm praying for this to happen. Especially her SP from 2011-12, it was my favorite ladies SP that season. It's painful watching her skating... this :no:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Julia should have gotten a 75+ here

:rofl:

For Julia to have gotten 75 points, her PCS would have to have been 2.76 points higher, as in 35.37 PCS.

For comparison, Kim's personal best PCS is 33.80, Kostner's is 33.85, and Asada's PB (on Japanese ice, no less) is 34.37.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

It was Nicky Slater that made the mistake with Chan. During the interval in the TEB Gala, they showed Patrick's FS, and he made the mistake when introducing the recording. He then apologised at the end of the recording, and explained that Patrick's parents were immigrants from China.

This was actually an even bigger faux pas, as Patrick's parents are actually from Hong Kong.

There are quite a few people from Hong Kong who live in my town. While they would refer to themselves as "Chinese" (because, ethnically, they are Chinese), they would NEVER say they were "from China".

Although the British handed Hong Kong over to China 16 years ago, the inhabitants still don't like China!

Meanwhile, it was Simon Reed that made the mistake about Nagasu today. And I don't think he (or anybody else) realised the mistake.

Although, to dig yourself out of a hole, I suppose you could use the angle that Mirai is ethnically Japanese...

As for the bit about Torino, I can relate to that. When looking back, it is very easy to get the years and locations of the different championships mixed up. Especially when they are movable championships, and somewhere has held both Worlds and Olympics. So, I would let Simon off for that one.

Hey, at least he got the location right! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm praying for this to happen. Especially her SP from 2011-12, it was my favorite ladies SP that season. It's painful watching her skating... this :no:

That was my favorite of the season too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d96dm0EzDg

There was just something about the way the music built throughout the program and the way she matched it. I've watched that program a dozen times...I just adore it. I really loved her SP from last season too. As a matter of fact I've loved every SP she's had, all the way back from her junior days...but I absolutely hate this new one. :scowl:

With this new program it feels like all of the maturity and style she developed over the past three years went out the window.:no: It seems like she's trying to recapture the magic she had with "Jumpin Jack", which was a wonderful program for her back in 2010, but no longer fits who she is as a skater. This new program looks juniorish and out of character for her now and I really hope she drops it...soon.

LRK

Record Breaker
It was Nicky Slater that made the mistake with Chan. During the interval in the TEB Gala, they showed Patrick's FS, and he made the mistake when introducing the recording. He then apologised at the end of the recording, and explained that Patrick's parents were immigrants from China.

This was actually an even bigger faux pas, as Patrick's parents are actually from Hong Kong.

There are quite a few people from Hong Kong who live in my town. While they would refer to themselves as "Chinese" (because, ethnically, they are Chinese), they would NEVER say they were "from China".

Although the British handed Hong Kong over to China 16 years ago, the inhabitants still don't like China!

Meanwhile, it was Simon Reed that made the mistake about Nagasu today. And I don't think he (or anybody else) realised the mistake.

Although, to dig yourself out of a hole, I suppose you could use the angle that Mirai is ethnically Japanese...

As for the bit about Torino, I can relate to that. When looking back, it is very easy to get the years and locations of the different championships mixed up. Especially when they are movable championships, and somewhere has held both Worlds and Olympics. So, I would let Simon off for that one.

Hey, at least he got the location right! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

I'm wondering myself... I watched the Swedish Eurosport coverage on my TV, and the commentator made the mistake of saying that Javi won Euros in Sheffield last year. Now, as a Plushy uber I know that Sheffield wasn't last year.:) I wondered if the British Eurosport made the same mistake? If so, my suspicion that whoever is providing the "facts" at Eurosport is the main culprit. I've heard the Swedish Eurosport commentator make the same mistake the British have, when I subsequently checked the Youtube videos. Now, the Javi SP videos start too late for me to see (/hear) if this was the case here. Do you know, by any chance?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm wondering myself... I watched the Swedish Eurosport coverage on my TV, and the commentator made the mistake of saying that Javi won Euros in Sheffield last year. Now, as a Plushy uber I know that Sheffield wasn't last year.:) I wondered if the British Eurosport made the same mistake? If so, my suspicion that whoever is providing the "facts" at Eurosport is the main culprit. I've heard the Swedish Eurosport commentator make the same mistake the British have, when I subsequently checked the Youtube videos. Now, the Javi SP videos start too late for me to see (/hear) if this was the case here. Do you know, by any chance?

Give me 10 minutes. I'm watching something at the moment, but the adverts should be on shortly. If the Men's SP has not been overwritten yet, I'll check then.

CaroLiza_fan

LRK

Record Breaker
Give me 10 minutes. I'm watching something at the moment, but the adverts should be on shortly. If the Men's SP has not been overwritten yet, I'll check then.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks! Though I didn't mean you to go to so much trouble, just for the sake of my curiosity. I thought maybe you had heard, and if you remembered. :)

elif

Medalist
Exactly. The fact that her score would have cleared Yu Na's SP score at last year's Worlds by 2 points is ridiculous.

She is not the only one who came close to Yuna's score.

1 73.18 Mao ASADA JPN ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 19.10.2013
2 69.45 Gracie GOLD USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2013 25.10.2013
3 69.26 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 19.10.2013

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2013-14/sbtslsp.htm

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks! Though I didn't mean you to go to so much trouble, just for the sake of my curiosity. I thought maybe you had heard, and if you remembered. :)

Ach, it was no bother. I got curious myself! ;) :biggrin:

Right, when introducing Javier's SP, Simon Reed said that he had "won bronze at Worlds in London", but did not specify a year. But, he was obviously referring to this year's Worlds in Ontario, as opposed to the 1898, 1902, 1929, or 1950 Worlds in England... :laugh:

Simon then went on to say that Javi "won Europeans in Zagreb this year".

So, to summarise, Simon got the info right on this occasion.

It looks like it was just your guys that got it wrong. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
kwanatic said:
That was my favorite of the season too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d96dm0EzDg

There was just something about the way the music built throughout the program and the way she matched it. I've watched that program a dozen times...I just adore it. I really loved her SP from last season too. As a matter of fact I've loved every SP she's had, all the way back from her junior days...but I absolutely hate this new one.

With this new program it feels like all of the maturity and style she developed over the past three years went out the window. It seems like she's trying to recapture the magic she had with "Jumpin Jack", which was a wonderful program for her back in 2010, but no longer fits who she is as a skater. This new program looks juniorish and out of character for her now and I really hope she drops it...soon.

Yes, especially her 4CC performance! There were so many emotions, I remember how I stared at my screen totally taken away by her performance :love: It's one of the highlights on the ladies side of this whole olympic quad for me.

The worst thing is, that Kanako partly looks as if she'd agree with you too. Usually, even if she had a bad day, there was always a connection between her and her music/choreo. But somehow, she just doesn't get into the program this time. And it's even more of a shame if this will really be her final season...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Exactly. The fact that her score would have cleared Yu Na's SP score at last year's Worlds by 2 points is ridiculous.
And her PCS is also higher than both Wagner's TEB SP PCS and Suzuki's SC SP PCS (where the difference between clean Julia and clean Akiko was 3.63 in favour of Akiko) :rolleye: Do we really want to believe that Julia's IN here was better than Akiko's at SC? :unsure: