Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

Moment

Final Flight
Ridiculous under scoring for Kostner

a judge gave her a 0 for that loop. and it only had three +2's ???? should have been all +2

Same with the 2A.

The same judge gave only a +1 for the step sequence.

Less than 1 point above in PCS ??? She should have been 3 points above. Only .32 above in skating skills. What are the judges doing ??

Skating on home ice did wonders for Julia :)

mateusp1

On the Ice
I thought that overrall, the competition was very underscored, except Liza and Julia(they were very very very overscored).

Let's not forget that the competition is in Russia and the judges are being more "generous" to the home ladies.

We have a clean Mirai and Agnes tied with a flawed Liza. And a clean Kostner 5 points behind a clean Julia.

bluesky85

On the Ice
She's a Tara Lipinksi jumper--horizontal not vertical, but with great rotation. If the 2axel is getting more height it's incremental rather than monumental. But for 15 she does skate with remarkable maturity.

Good comparison.

Also, I agree that she improved so much in terms of presentation since last season. She shows much more maturity and connects to the music better.

bluesky85

On the Ice
Ridiculous under scoring for Kostner

a judge gave her a 0 for that loop. and it only had three +2's ???? should have been all +2

Same with the 2A.

The same judge gave only a +1 for the step sequence.

Less than 1 point above in PCS ??? She should have been 3 points above. Only .32 above in skating skills. What are the judges doing ??

I agree. But it's nothing new in figure skating... :(

bluesky85

On the Ice
I thought that overrall, the competition was very underscored, except Liza and Julia(they were very very very overscored).

Let's not forget that the competition is in Russia and the judges are being more "generous" to the home ladies.

We have a clean Mirai and Agnes tied with a flawed Liza. And a clean Kostner 5 points behind a clean Julia.

Yeah... but that was to be expected. Remember, it's taking place in Russia. At least the placement is fair, which is important.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

So level 1 spin is now clean? zzz zzz z z z z Not falling doesn't mean you're clean.

Not to mention that "clean" programs can differ in points by around 10 even if they are completely the same due to GOEs. Which also means that even if you fall a jump(not clean) but perform the other elements better, you can deserve a better tech score than the skater who skated "clean".

Sara

On the Ice
Julia was great and deserves to be first, but 8.36 for interpretation? :mad: I'm glad Caro skated clean finally. Happy for Agnes too! Kanako was totally lost. She was completely stone-faced during the entire programme. What comes to Mirai, I don't really enjoy watching her skate even if she goes clean, 'cos she shows no emotion on the ice. I want the old Mirai back!

Julia, Caro, Mirai and Agnes all did clean 3-3's, well done girls!!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Don't see any issues here. Julia beat Caro hands down. With her 3Lz-3T and those awesome spins, Julia is clearly the better technical skater. Caro keeps doing her deer stuck in the headlights look...

katymay

Medalist
She's a Tara Lipinksi jumper--horizontal not vertical, but with great rotation. If the 2axel is getting more height it's incremental rather than monumental. But for 15 she does skate with remarkable maturity.

Holy cow Julia spins fast in the air. That, in itself, is amazing to watch. Yes, the Tara axel is weak, but she brings a great deal to the table. I think there is a very good chance she will medal in the Olympics. Should Mao falter, I think she could win the Olympics.

As far as Yuna-everyone keeps including her, but has anyone seen her skate recently? She has been plagued with injuries, and she is not getting any younger.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thrilled for Agnes and Mirai for a good clean skate!

Lovely skated programs from Julia and Caro!

I will bite my tongue and keep my thoughts on the judging to myself.

Congrats to the top four ladies, well done!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

the order was correct unlike say in Canada where a home skater can have inflated 1st place even with 2 falls

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS)
2. Mirai NAGASU (USA)
3. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN)
4. Haruka IMAI (JPN)

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Agnes ZAWADZKI USA
6. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS)
7. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) Short Program
8. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) Short Program
9. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Holy cow Julia spins fast in the air. That, in itself, is amazing to watch. Yes, the Tara axel is weak, but she brings a great deal to the table. I think there is a very good chance she will medal in the Olympics. Should Mao falter, I think she could win the Olympics.

As far as Yuna-everyone keeps including her, but has anyone seen her skate recently? She has been plagued with injuries, and she is not getting any younger.

Nope. We will see her early december, though. She still has a pretty good track record.

mateusp1

On the Ice
So level 1 spin is now clean? zzz zzz z z z z Not falling doesn't mean you're clean.

Not to mention that "clean" programs can differ in points by around 10 even if they are completely the same due to GOEs. Which also means that even if you fall a jump(not clean) but perform the other elements better, you can deserve a better tech score than the skater who skated "clean".

I refuse to answer someone so rude.

oleada

Record Breaker

I actually think this was a really generously judged competition overall. Kostner's spins weren't great at all (even by her standards) and still got level 4s and tons of GOE. Mirai's loop was borderline and for once she got the benefit of the doubt. Zawadzki wasn't totally clean either - she 2fted the lutz which was heavily stalked. And Liza's personality really knocks Agnes' expression out of the water.

Mirai would have actually been third if it weren't for a level 1 spin. As it's the only level 1 spin in the competition (everything else for everyone was at least a 3), I am inclined to think that it's more on her than anyone else.

Kostner was clean, but her spins are weaker than Julia; her second 3T was just saved and she has a lower base value overall as she doesn't attempt a flip and lutz. Julia also has shown a lot of improvement in performance, and this is the best she's been yet.

Ambivalent

On the Ice

Julia would need Mao to falter and not skate well. A perfect, pristine Julia may score ~72-75 in SP and ~130-135 in LP at Sochi (total = 210) whereas Mao has been winning GPs this season with flawed skates and scoring 205ish. Mao's scoring potential is much higher, and she rightly has most beat with her PCS.

As for Yuna, you wouldn't include the defending Olympic champion and 2x world champion in the mix? Brave.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Yuna is a consistent skater