Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Men SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Kovtun skated a great SP.
    But what do you know about Plushy's PCS and SS? Check it, please. In 2005-2006 he received higher PCS like Buttle or Lambiel on every competitions.. In 2012 at ECH he received really high PCS.
    And do you believe Plushenko's PCS (not just SS) were as good as Buttle's or Lambiel's? Then again, I'm asking 'PlushyFan' this question? Haha. I know, we all have our faves, but I thought Plushy's PCS, especially SS and TR were so vastly overmarked compared to others. It was fine, I could tolerate it, Plush was always clean with multiple quads and he did have a fiery persona out there. But I guess I'm comparing Plush SS to the Japanese men and Chan. They are so much better IMO. And all I'm saying is that Plush inspired the next generation and that generation has seemingly followed the Plush mold.

Custom Title
    Yeah 4 points higher PCS than his PB... Okay there. Although kudos to an amazing technical performance!

Also worth noting Menshov and Gachinski got PCS personal bests for their flawed programs. And Gachinski a personal best with 2 falls... from Russia, with PCS love.

Fair score or not I'm super impressed by Kovtun. Can't imagine the pressure he's under, failing at worlds and now delivering Where are all posters usually calling for quads? Shouldn't you be here applauding?

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Fair score or not I'm super impressed by Kovtun. Can't imagine the pressure he's under, failing at worlds and now delivering Where are all posters usually calling for quads? Shouldn't you be here applauding?
    Well, one only wishes he turned in that performance at Worlds, he probably would have earned another spot....well I'll guess we'll see what happens with that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well, one only wishes he turned in that performance at Worlds, he probably would have earned another spot....well I'll guess we'll see what happens with that spot.
    Yeah, I know, not easy to perform when it counts most. Sadly we'll see lots of that at olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Yeah 4 points higher PCS than his PB... Okay there. Although kudos to an amazing technical performance!

Also worth noting Menshov and Gachinski got PCS personal bests for their flawed programs. And Gachinski a personal best with 2 falls... from Russia, with PCS love.
    Gachinski FELL... OMG I thought only one other skater falls and is crucified for it on the boards.....

Custom Title
    Look at the sweet flower girl after Kovtun's program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDCurbbvvpg (at 4:10)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    And do you believe Plushenko's PCS (not just SS) were as good as Buttle's or Lambiel's? Then again, I'm asking 'PlushyFan' this question? Haha. I know, we all have our faves, but I thought Plushy's PCS, especially SS and TR were so vastly overmarked compared to others.
    In the major part of Plush carreer there werent PCS to work with, but he had great speed and power on his feet. When COP came he was having the top 7 record scores up until Torino.
    On the subject Fernadez should switch back to his old programs, sp and lp. PCS of Arthur are dropping like a potato.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-22-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    In the major part of Plush carreer there werent PCS to work with, but he had great speed and power on his feet. When COP came he was having the top 7 record scores up until Torino.
    On the subject Fernadez should switch back to his old programs, sp and lp. PCS of Arthur are dropping like a potato.
    Commentators were praising the ease and power of Plushenko's skating skills even when he was still in his early career, if I recall.

In any case, I don't get the logic of dragging Plushy into discussions of younger Russian skaters' SS scores. But then again, I've seen Plushy get blamed for some other fairly wide-ranging things that (one would think) have very little to do with him...

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebamboo View Post
    In any case, I don't get the logic of dragging Plushy into discussions of younger Russian skaters' SS scores. But then again, I've seen Plushy get blamed for some other fairly wide-ranging things that (one would think) have very little to do with him...
    Because the new generation at least in terms of program construction and performance are Plush clones for the most part.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    And if you add to that the other 3 categories...tomorrow looks to be a very boring competition.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz
    It seems to me, there is a contingent of fans out here who treat PCS as some sort of Reputation Ranking score as opposed to what the skater(s) actually did in a competition. For example, one of the most common rage-post I see here is so and so complain about how X can possibly score better than Y in PCS despite X having a less-than-stellar performance. If you compile all those X together, 8 out 10, they turn out to be Japanese skaters in these forums. Nothing scientific to be sure, but this phenomenon went so overboard that people could even recall facts incorrectly, for example, recalling that Osmond beating Suzuki in PCS at the 2012 Skate Canada FS even though she actually did not. My observation is that there is a strong reputation bias towards Japanese skaters here such that even when they don't skate well, many of their fans complain about their PCS, either not high enough or should have been higher than so and so. But why should they? Sure, when called out about it, they are going to deny it has anything to do with nationality but to the specific skater. Let's just say these are not consistent with what's being observed here.
    'Nothing scientific' for sure!

Here: less than stellar performance = one step-out. While Kovtun had a subpar landing on his 4T too. That's funny.

Custom Title
    MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Misha GE (UZB) Short Program, 2nd Copy
    2. Peter LIEBERS (GER) Short Program
    3. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    4. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) Short Program

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) Short Program
    WD Joshua FARRIS (USA)
    7. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) Short Program
    8. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy
    9. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Short Program (Complete)

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Custom Title
    Kovtun was FANTASTIC !! But I'm kinda falling in love with Machida.... And Machida does have way better skating skills than Kovtun, whether he is from Japan or not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTheMusician View Post
    Look at the sweet flower girl after Kovtun's program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDCurbbvvpg (at 4:10)
    I felt so bad for her! I can't tell, but it looks like she was so eager to get the first teddy bear that she might have forgotten to take her guards off, or got a little over-excited.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Gachinski FELL... OMG I thought only one other skater falls and is crucified for it on the boards.....
    Hah, the poor haters have to wait until the GPF before they can hope for him to make mistakes.

But yeah, seriously, Gachinski falls twice and gets a personal best PCS.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast