Men SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched practice video, Kovtun is amazing, very good consistent 4S, and I really like his steps, never saw such a unique step sequence before, with so many punctuations, smart use of blade and toe pick! Also, I guess he does the best Yuna spin among male skater! :eek::

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And all I'm saying is that Plush inspired the next generation and that generation has seemingly followed the Plush mold.

I'd say that Kovtun is a wonderful example of a skater who was influenced by Plushenko but didn't turn out to be a Plushenko-esque jumping clone a la Gachinski/Menshov. Definitely has his own style and artistry. I absolutely love his SP and the snap and arms and toreador attitude are spot on (although I agree with the Euro guys, he loses it a bit in the 2nd half).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow, Kovtun. He's gonna win this competition.

Well unlike some of his teammates (eg- B&S) if he skates anything like today he will fully deserve to. Even if Fernandez skates a great LP (which he probably wont based on his season so far) he would be far enough back to easily justify a very good Kovtun winning.

spikydurian

Medalist
Impressed with Kovtun. 2 quads!:eek: He deserved the first placement.

I think we are going to see more skaters doing five quads - 2 in SP and 3 in LP. High risk but if it works, the scores from the quads will be huge. Also for those who are weaker in skating skills, jumps will be the way forward to reduce weakness in skating skills.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Impressed with Kovtun. 2 quads!:eek: He deserved the first placement.

I think we are going to see more skaters doing five quads - 2 in SP and 3 in LP. High risk but if it works, the scores from the quads will be huge. Also for those who are weaker in skating skills, jumps will be the way forward to reduce weakness in skating skills.

I dread this onslaught of quads. I fear it will be the final death knell for great artistry in skating.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Ok tun skated really beautifully! Such committment to the character and the music. Well deserved win!

chiocciola

On the Ice
I dread this onslaught of quads. I fear it will be the final death knell for great artistry in skating.

If you want to see artistry on ice than you should watch shows like Stars on ice or something, NOT competitions, because in sport it's mostly about achievements and challenge and only THEN adding a cherry on the top. Those who manage to demonstrate excellency in both, win.

And honestly, I'm every time for 4+3 and quads in men, difficult 3+3, 3A in women. They fascinate me more than super edges.

And Kovtun was great! He showed both brilliant TES and he sold the program very well, it suits him. LP will be tough for him, he ususally gets tired(((

spikydurian

Medalist
because in sport it's mostly about achievements and challenge and only THEN adding a cherry on the top. Those who manage to demonstrate excellency in both, win.
And honestly, I'm every time for 4+3 and quads in men, difficult 3+3, 3A in women. They fascinate me more than super edges.
Edges are important because this is a figure skating competition not figure jumping. Skating is all about the relationship between the blade and ice. And yes, this I agree - usually, the skaters who possess both edges, speed, jumps and spins are more likely to be above the rest of the pack.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kovtun was superb - 2 quads + artistry. Loved his toepick flamenco action. Did I read somewhere he worked with Lambiel last summer on this?