Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, it might significantly depend on how B&S and W&P skate :slink:

If W&P mess up their twizzles (which they do from time to time), and if they get judged on the Finnstep like the CoC tech panel judged it for B&S, they might well be behind B&S after the SD. B&S, if you recall, beat P&B in the SD at CoC, which I&K failed to do.

Macassar88

Medalist
Well we will see how the event goes. If Weaver & Poje win easily there were probably no politiks at play. If Bobrova & Soloviev are a close 2nd or heaven forbid even win, it obvious there were heavy politiks at play.

How is this not just as biased as you are making the judges out to be? Obviously Bobrova and Soloviev haven't looked as good as Weaver and Poje to this point, but what if Bobrova and Soloviev skate lights out and hit their levels better than Weaver and Poje on the night? Will they still not deserve it then?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
D/S werent going to compete again after Vancouver so the banning of the use of costume in lifting was irrelevent to them because they had already retired. It didn't end his career as it was already over. She could've continued with a new partner but chose to start a family and didn't want compete with anyone but Shabalin. Shabalin was only trying to make it to Vancouver. Costume lifts were used in transitional lifts which were also eliminated. Replaced with chli. You don't see li+trans anymore.

Sure Poland was never a part of USSR but its communist government was imposed by soviet union and it was a satellite but that ended in 1989 and now they're free to be anti Russian in everything! Which is their natural inclination. Its very true that the post Vancouver election of Poland to ice dance chair was totally pro north American and NA taking over.

And yet for the past four years we've had a much more exciting time in ice dancing than we did the quad before. Hmmmm.....

KKonas

Medalist
Election of Ms. Gordon-Poltorak of Poland as the head of ISU Ice Dance Technical Committee in lieu of Pissev's wife (RUS) was very much a win for North American Ice Dance.

The Committe doesn't just reverse itself in less than 12 months like that ever, it goes to show the earlier decision to allow Shabalin to compete with a prop was political favortism, pure and simple. Furthermore, you can see the direction she has taken Ice Dance in the last 4 years has pretty much tilted towards Ice Dance being a sport, more athletic and more in lined with traditional ballroom dancing as opposed to everyone-die-on-ice-at-the-end style. All in all, to suggest Poland is somehow still under Russia's sphere of influence is just...um...laughable.

Alla S. (Piseev's wife) wasn't on the IDTC during Gorshkov's reign, so it would have been unlikely for her to become Chair. Gordon-Poltorak won but Bob Horen was a close second in the overall vote. However, Piseev still had enough clout to get his wife on the IDTC when Gorshkov "retired."

bramweld

Record Breaker
I absolutely love W/P but they are not immune from a bad skate from time to time. Zhulin and his group are also drilling those levels. B/S did not look pretty the last time out but they got decent levels and beat P/B in the S/D at CoC. They've also seen I/K deliver a well received S/D at TEB, so they are hyper motivated, so as they say in anything can happen. Best wishes to all involved. This line up of dancers is pretty interesting. I hope we have a good competition.

Macassar88

Medalist
I absolutely love W/P but they are not immune from a bad skate from time to time. Zhulin and his group are also drilling those levels. B/S did not look pretty the last time out but they got decent levels and beat P/B in the S/D at CoC. They've also seen I/K deliver a well received S/D at TEB, so they are hyper motivated, so as they say in anything can happen. Best wishes to all involved. This line up of dancers is pretty interesting. I hope we have a good competition.

Agree - also, B/S's SD is really fast across the ice with very close dance holds which may give them an advantage going into the free. And ice is slippery.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK Here is the judging panel: LTU CAN UZB AZE USA FRA UKR RUS JPN

Nice geographical distribution, eh?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Exciting? I don't think so. Exciting for bronze? Or world gold between 2 teams only?

Oh I don't know, the best rivalry I've ever seen in ice dancing, where each competition is so close between the top two teams it usually comes down to who hits their levels, a gargantuan battle for bronze, a big step forward for most teams in terms of technical content. Yeah, I'd say I found that exciting but of course YMMV. I think it beats the old days where you knew pretty much where everyone would finish before the first blade hit the ice.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Heekin-Canedy/Dun

Picking up stuff off the ice
Caro Emerald, That Man
Start Finnstep
Big skid into the hopping steps
No better than level 2, if that for either sequence
twizzles, she has trouble and puts a foot down early
Downlevel, I'm pretty sure.
Midline step -slow but no major error in it.

I don't think this will break 50.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Monko / Khaliavin
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Jumpin' Jack, I think
start Finnstep Think they managed good levels on it
OK
into twizzles
Love Is All that I Can Give to You- definitely not Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
side by side step (diagonal?) level 2 maybe
very abrupt music cuts
rotational lift ordinary but OK, should get lev 4

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gilles & Poirier.
She has a lot of maribou feathers on her skirt edge
He has a vest
I think they're faster than M&K
start with step
change of position straight line lift
twizzzles are not as smooth as they might be but done
Charleston steps
Finnstep pretty good.
Didn't end on the music
probably lost a level or 2 on the Finnstep

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Hi everyone. Watching skating all covert like in my office while patiently waiting for Thanksgiving break to begin. Bring on W/P:yay:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Papadakis & Cizeron FRA
Cool Cat in Town
Looks like they got slammed on the Finnstep
then he fell on the final pose :cry:
Not as good as at TEB