Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

ilmiom

Rinkside
Nobody is saying that B/S can't beat W/P under any circumstances. What people are saying is that W/P should beat B/S at the moment, and at the moment (and in my view-- this year) W/P dance is better then B/S.

W/P dance may be better, but there's also TES, levels etc. Remember what happened to I/K in Japan. They had the biggest crowd reaction of all, but messed up on the levels, and as a result lost to Shibs. Also, Zhiganshina/Gazsi have amazing performances every year, but it's not enough to win even a GP medal.

katia

On the Ice
I can argue I/K , C/L and P/B are superior to W/P
especially C/L and I/K
I/K may became superior in a year or so but now they are not. There was too much of a hype surounding them and everybody in Russia expected I/K to become next D/W, but they are not.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
I've lived in the Middle East and would say that large majority of Israelis are pro Russia! There are also many Russian Jews living in Israel.

I'm an Israeli so...
There isn't too much love between Israel and Russia, but there are a lot of Jewish Russian immigrates living in Israel.
Figure skating isn't popular at all in Israel.
However, Israel has a skating federation headed by Boris Chait (Galit Chait's father).
Katalin Alpern has been a judge for Israel for 10 years or so (might be slightly more).
She previously judged for Hungary IIRC.

katia

On the Ice
In Japan everybody had crowd reaction. Even during G/P dance the crowd in Japan was on their feet. And W/P levels, TES and so on are quite high. I/K messed on the levels and on the rythm (short dance).
They are very talented but they are not better then W/P. W/P might be less talented but they do go up and work like a hell.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, just read the results: this is a great, clear and perfect example of the meaning of the word "OVERSCORING" :biggrin::rolleye:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
In Japan everybody had crowd reaction. Even during G/P dance the crowd in Japan was on their feet. And W/P levels, TES and so on are quite high. I/K messed on the levels and on the rythm (short dance).
They are very talented but they are not better then W/P. W/P might be less talented but they do go up and work like a hell.

right and the others dont :sarcasm:
I hear Lysacek was the biggest hard worker

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It may be possible for B/S to beat W/P---but NOT with the performance B/S gave today. They were AWFUL, right from the getgo. Their twizzles were completely out of sync and they got L4. Other teams had great twizzles and got lower levels. How can that be?

Maybe W/P weren't at their very best, but B/S were quite bad and got a much, much higher score than they got at CoC where they were pretty good. That is why posters are furious with the scoring at this event. B/S got those scores because they were preordained to get them NO MATTER HOW THEY SKATED. And everyone else who was not Russian was preordained to be marked down NO MATTER HOW THEY SKATED.

At no other event did so many teams receive L1s on the Finnstep, or so many L1s cumulatively.

Outrageous technical scoring. It should be investigated at a high level.

TryMeLater

On the Ice

splatgoesthequad

Match Penalty
At no other event did so many teams receive L1s on the Finnstep, or so many L1s cumulatively.

Outrageous technical scoring. It should be investigated at a high level.

As others pointed out earlier... If you weren't a Russian Ice Dance team, you got a 1 in Finnstep. Will this be investigated? Who knows. What happens going forward will be interesting to see. Some are saying that the marks will be "made up" tomorrow to even things out. Personally, I don't think so. They're already in too deep with "throwing" the SD, to overcompensate in the FD would look even worse.

The noble idea of just scoring what is actually being performed is apparently a thing of the past.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Some Israelis might be on Russian side (many Israelis were Russian citizens and communists)
Some Poles are on Russian side.
So you never know.
I'm an Israeli so...
There isn't too much love between Israel and Russia, but there are a lot of Jewish Russian immigrates living in Israel.
Figure skating isn't popular at all in Israel.
However, Israel has a skating federation headed by Boris Chait (Galit Chait's father).
Katalin Alpern has been a judge for Israel for 10 years or so (might be slightly more).
She previously judged for Hungary IIRC.
I'm Israeli, and in the interest of clarifying a few matters:

1. A large portion of Israel's citizens (over 20%, I believe) did indeed immigrate from the Former Soviet Union, mostly in the 1990s, or are the children of these immigrants. Part of this population is not fully assimilated into Israeli society. They are not merely Russian Jews living in Israel, however - in fact, some of them are not even Jewish - they are citizens of Israel. Many of the skaters who represent or have represented Israel are originally from the Former Soviet Union, although some moved to Israel at a very young age (e.g. the Zaretskis and Evgeni Krasnopolski).

2. There are certainly links between Israel and Russia, including cultural links. Russia almost always gets 12 points from Israeli in Eurovision, for instance ;) However, for various reasons that are really not the point here, there is also a fair bit of resentment toward Russia and some of the people who came from there.

3. I seriously doubt any of this has much of an effect on figure skating.

4. Katalin Alpern was not always a judge for Israel and I would imagine that she has certain preferences in terms of skating styles. Let's leave it at that.

Googling Alpern's name brought up this vastly entertaining Phil Hersh article from 2002. The scoring system may have since changed, but the various improprieties in skating judging and administration certainly don't seem to have.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
The Russian minority in Poland is about 13,000 according to the 2011 census. It's not likely they're figure skating officials.
In Ukraine, it's about 30% and there are probably a lot of them in the Ukrainian skating community.

What I meant to say is that the number of immigrants etc. is not important.
What important is the relationship between the countries.
I can see both Poland and Russia as part of an "eastern bloc" during the time of USSR and a few years later.
I don't think, however, that the geographical blocs matter today.
It's more of "Quid pro quo" thing.

splatgoesthequad

Match Penalty
What I meant to say is that the number of immigrants etc. is not important.
What important is the relationship between the countries.
I can see both Poland and Russia as part of an "eastern bloc" during the time of USSR and a few years later.
I don't think, however, that the geographical blocs matter today.
It's more of "Quid pro quo" thing.

Ok, far enough Off topic now... bring it back to skating, if you want to have a history conversation, the Ice Dance thread isn't the place... :slink:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As others pointed out earlier... If you weren't a Russian Ice Dance team, you got a 1 in Finnstep. Will this be investigated? Who knows. What happens going forward will be interesting to see. Some are saying that the marks will be "made up" tomorrow to even things out. Personally, I don't think so. They're already in too deep with "throwing" the SD, to overcompensate in the FD would look even worse.

The noble idea of just scoring what is actually being performed is apparently a thing of the past.

If the tech blitz continue in the FD, all the teams that got gigged with low lift and/or step levels will be in for it in the FD, where there are four lifts and two step sequences. C/B, for example, could see their FD score drop by 10-15 points.