Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Musselman's Family Skating Tribute - NBC Sunday 4-6pm eastern time

Musselman's Family Skating Tribute - NBC Sunday 4-6pm eastern time

Hosted by Kristi Y and Mike W

Seeing too much of Sara Evans singing, but lovely skaters in the background include:

Brasseur and Marvel
    Irina Slutskaya
    Paul Wylie
    Kurt Browning
    Fontana and Zimmerman
    Naomi Lang
    Steven Cousins
    Ekaterina Gordeeva
    Ilia Kulik

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm watching it. So far, Kurt was great and so was Ilia Kulik. Michael Weiss' daughter is not a particularly good singer though.

Custom Title
    I think Annie Mae might have been nervous, so she sang flat. At least I hope that was what happened. Watching Kurt and Ilia was such a delight. Both Kurt's routines were such impressive interpretations of music, with just enough of his signature moves to give them spark. I thought the Marvels and their daughter did a splendid job, too, with satisfying choreography. And how good to see Slutskaya again!

Liza Kulik did a nice double axel, didn't she? She looks tall for eleven, and very strong. Of course, next to Katia, everyone looks tall. Splendid to see the three of them skate together.

While she may be nervous, I have to agree that Annie Mae is not a great singer based upon this performance.

I found this YouTube clip of Gabriella Marvaldi with her pairs partner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDvFKg9yMo

and here's a little behind the scenes of Gabriella with Liza Kulik and Sofia Zimmerman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kek2INsiFBQ

Wylie family tribute to Sochi was cute.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I found this YouTube clip of Gabriella Marvaldi with her pairs partner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDvFKg9yMo
    That was her partner last year. She changed partners, now with a boy named Cody Dolkiewicz. Looking at the Easterns results, they qualified for Nationals in Novice Pairs.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Irina Slutskaya still has it! Cool to see her little boy.

Michael Weiss' daughter got stronger as the song went on. She was nervous at first. I think the guy on the keyboard chimed in to help out the vocals.

I womder what the future these family shows will be when this generation of skaters -- comfortable as an old shoe -- move on. I'm trying to picture Sasha Cohen and daughter, Evan Lysacek and Evan, junior...

Custom Title
    You know figure skating is unpopular when a skating show focuses more on a famous person's daughter's mediocre singing than actual skating.

Custom Title
    Just watched this show. I have to agree....Annie Mae ought to maybe concentrate on soccer. I was embarassed for her. But honestly - Kurt Browning's little boys are adorable. They seem to have Kurt's personality. Agree with Mathman - Irina looked fabulous and her little boy was really cute. She had so much personality on the ice and she looks like she's in great shape.

Liza Kulik has a national title in her future. I couldn't believe her clean double axel and was that a triple toe? Tight rotation. Has the perfect body type and is quite the little performer for only being 11. Of course - the genes are there.

And interesting that Gabriella is going by Marvaldi instead of Marvel. I bet alot of people wouldn't even know she's Rocky and Isabel's daughter and isn't she beautiful?

It was an enjoyable show but have to say I'm a little tired of watching Steven Cousins. Never was much impressed with him as an amateur OR a pro. Didn't realize that Paul Wylie has 4 children. Tribute to Sochi was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Liza Kulik did a nice double axel, didn't she? She looks tall for eleven, and very strong.
    I was impressed...is she competing? I was taken aback by seeing Irina again...what happened to the little girl that Dick Button wanted to pinch her cheeks? ("Oh, all the old men want to do that..." she said)

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Family Tribute

I saw the family tribute (the end) with Kristi Yamaguchi and saw Ekaterina Gordeeva skating and then her youngest daughter with another girl! She's tall now, like her dad, Ilia Kulik and skates beautifully like her mom!! Did anyone see her daughter Daria skate also?! Also saw Ilia skate alittle.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Princess View Post
    I saw the family tribute (the end) with Kristi Yamaguchi and saw Ekaterina Gordeeva skating and then her youngest daughter with another girl! She's tall now, like her dad, Ilia Kulik and skates beautifully like her mom!! Did anyone see her daughter Daria skate also?! Also saw Ilia skate alittle.
    FYI, the thread at the link below already has comments from others regarding the family tribute show:

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    You know figure skating is unpopular when a skating show focuses more on a famous person's daughter's mediocre singing than actual skating.
    On Friday morning, Weiss and his daughter made a live appearance on the Today show to promote Sunday's Disson broadcast. A fringe benefit is that they also had a primo opportunity to promote the daughter's song.
    After a brief interview with both, the daughter stepped to the side of the rink to watch Weiss skate to a recording of her song.
    I did not see the Disson broadcast, but the Today show's over-interest in the daughter had puzzled me. Example: one camera was showing a good fairly close-up shot of Weiss mid-jump, but the director essentially missed his landing -- switching instead to a much wider shot of Weiss plus a separate shot of the daughter.
    (FWIW, I regret to say that I was underwhelmed by the recording of the song used by the Today show. But I don't blame Weiss as a loving father for supporting his daughter.)

In case someone is a super-intense Weiss fan, he tweeted the link to the Today show video:

(And for super-duper-intense fans, other tweets from him have the link to download the song from iTunes. )

Custom Title
    Where was the Musselman family? lol

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Liza Kulik has a national title in her future. I couldn't believe her clean double axel and was that a triple toe? Tight rotation. Has the perfect body type and is quite the little performer for only being 11. Of course - the genes are there.

And interesting that Gabriella is going by Marvaldi instead of Marvel. I bet alot of people wouldn't even know she's Rocky and Isabel's daughter and isn't she beautiful?
    I was curious about Gabriella's last name too and for whatever reason thought that maybe Marvaldi was just the feminine version of Marval in another language (maybe Italian?), kind of like Russian last names. Does anyone know?

Liza Kulik just executed her first double axel in competition recently and don't believe she's attempted any triples (here or in competition), though I wouldn't be surprised if she were learning them already. She didn't get out of regionals this year, unfortunately. Curious whether she has ever shown any interest in or tried doing pairs. Agree that her jumps look fabulous and looking forward to seeing her skating develop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast