Thread: Who will be 3rd among the ladies in Sochi?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Who will be 3rd among the ladies in Sochi?

Caro?Julia? Ashley? Maybe Gold?
    Soooooooooo many contenders

Custom Title
    Well, based on today's crazy judging in Rostelecom, FOR SURE JULIA unless she bombs completely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Well, based on today's crazy judging in Rostelecom, FOR SURE JULIA unless she bombs completely.
    ITA. To be fair Julia's SP performance is worthy of a bronze positioning over Kostner. But not a 5-point lead.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    ITA. To be fair Julia's SP performance is worthy of a bronze positioning over Kostner. But not a 5-point lead.
    That's the stupid part about all of this. Julia is a medal thread for Sochi. But she is because of her own strengths and consistency. Without the bull*hit judging.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    That's the stupid part about all of this. Julia is a medal thread for Sochi. But she is because of her own strengths and consistency. Without the bull*hit judging.
    Exactly. As I said, I would love for a lady with 7 triples to finally get on the Olympic podium again (and even win if Kim/Asada make errors). It would be a case of Lipinski winning again -- not as good an artist as Kwan but outjumps her. I've always valued the sport aspect of figure skating, and Julia winning/medalling would not be a bad thing. In fact, it would be a very good thing.

That being said, the PCS scores given to her are not consistent with what she'd be given anywhere other than Russia, and that's a bad thing. She (and every other skater) should be scoring what they score on Russian ice as they would score anywhere else, although that's obviously the ideal case. But if there is inflation, it shouldn't be that blatant.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    Exactly. As I said, I would love for a lady with 7 triples to finally get on the Olympic podium again (and even win if Kim/Asada make errors). It would be a case of Lipinski winning again -- not as good an artist as Kwan but outjumps her. I've always valued the sport aspect of figure skating, and Julia winning/medalling would not be a bad thing. In fact, it would be a very good thing.
    Even as a huge Mao fan - agreed. Julia has all the goods to put down to amazing performances that are worthy of a medal, and if she skates better than Mao or Yuna, she should be able to beat them (although I can't see it happening with Yuna, and I still think Mao can afford some smaller mistakes to still beat her). Her difficult jumps could really equal out the advantage the top 3 have over her in the PCS - I would just love it if the judges would realize that this advantages are still there.

That being said, the PCS scores given to her are not consistent with what she'd be given anywhere other than Russia, and that's a bad thing. She (and every other skater) should be scoring what they score on Russian ice as they would score anywhere else, although that's obviously the ideal case. But if there is inflation, it shouldn't be that blatant.
    The GPF should be really interesting - especially as she skates against Mao in Japan. I'm already a little afraid too of the outcry scoring like this at the Olympics could have, especially if it influences the placements.

Custom Title
    Technically best skater is Julia. She is repeating her lutz and her 5 jumps are in the second half of the program. Her spins are good and usually getting very good GOE. Her weakness is 2A. She is hiding this with 2A+3T+2T which getting more GOE than solo 2A.
    Ashley is repeating 3flip and 3loop so she didn't lose much to Julia but she is losing some base value for 3lo+2a. 5.10+3.30 she should get 8.4 (with bonus 9.2x) but only getting 7.39x. Her weakness is underrotated jumps and two footing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    True. Unless Julia falls three times she probably has atleast the bronze based on the scoring here. Actually given that she usually skates cleanly, and given the obvious Russianatic scoring we can now expect in Sochi, she probably has a great shot at the gold. Yu Na Kim will have to skate perfectly to deny her. Asada never skates perfectly, so she is probably toast if Julia does her usual clean performance combined with the huge Russian boost.