Ladies FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Yuna got 71 for her PCS LP at the Olympics.
Carolina got 69 at COR.

:disapp: :disapp: :disapp: Come on. Not only it was a major fail, her skating is NOWHERE near Yuna.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
For everyone complaining about Lipnitskaia's pigtails, let's recap: her costumes cover everything, are age appropriate and aren't made of 'illusion fabric'- several of the other big name skaters: wear negligees on the ice and fashion their skating costumes to look like diapers- pigtails = not a big deal :)

:rock:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've never liked the "[abc] problem is worse, so we can ignore [xyz] problem" argument.

David21

On the Ice
Carolina got 69 at COR.

:disapp: :disapp: :disapp: Come on. Not only it was a major fail, her skating is NOWHERE near Yuna.

First of all, PCS are not comparable in different events.
And second, some peple may disagree with your opinion. As far as e.g. Skatting Skills are concerned, Carolina is a BETTER skater than Yuna. Things like Choreography or Interpretation are more debatable and subjective.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hope you're right. However, there were many people there who thought he should have won at least the long program.

I think Julia is very cute and age appropriate, and she projects a personality that most of the others don't. She's not cookie cutter. I hope she doesn't bland out as she tries to have a more "mature" style as Mirai and many other did.

If you're referring to Ten, he did win the LP. And deservedly so. :)

MiRé

Match Penalty
And second, some peple may disagree with your opinion. As far as e.g. Skatting Skills are concerned, Carolina is a BETTER skater than Yuna. Things like Choreography or Interpretation are more debatable and subjective.

I'm confused at your argument. You say PCS is subjective and debatable, but you say Carolina is a better skater than Yuna when it comes to skating skills.
Isn't skating skills part of PCS? You know, the components that you said are subjective and debatable??

shine

Record Breaker
Julia deserves 8s in transitions and skating skills? Choreography maybe, interpretation I wouldn't personally but that's a matter of opinion to a certain extent and performance is the same. But her transitions and skating skills are probably not worthy of mid 7s.

Julia doesn't even deserve a 7 for interpretation IMO. She is often off with the music and skates and moves exactly the same way throughout the program and across different programs. I would give her no more than a very low 6 for IN.

I'm confused at your argument. You say PCS is subjective and debatable, but you say Carolina is a better skater than Yuna when it comes to skating skills.
Isn't skating skills part of PCS? You know, the components that you said are subjective and debatable??

IN and CH are subjective, but SS, PE, and TR are very much less so and can be objectively judged, if the judges cared.

ref: "The problem is Julia is using the associations with the film to generate emotions. That's what I find manipulative."
Welcome to figure skating. It's about emotion, or at least it is for me....point counters may disagree....if we fault Julia for generating emotion through music choice, then Yu-Na is just as guilty for her free program at Worlds London.

You obviously did not understand the very eloquent post by WeakAnkles that you were replying to.

Moment

Final Flight

Yuna Kim at 2010 Olys exhibited greater skating skills than Carolina did here.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Carolina got 69 at COR.

You cant compare to events 3 years ago. Scores are always elevating under COP, to the point they are going to have to tighten them up way back again sometime soon and almost start from the very harsh base point they began when COP first started.

lcd

Match Penalty
You cant compare to events 3 years ago. Scores are always elevating under COP, to the point they are going to have to tighten them up way back again sometime soon and almost start from the very harsh base point they began when COP first started.

True, plus it seems the scores elevate throughout a "quad" (4 yr) cycle and also through a season. Certainly you see it in the Junior Grand Prix each season where the scores consistently rise steadily throughout the season. In Senior, you see it through the cycle.

David21

On the Ice
IN and CH are subjective, but SS, PE, and TR are very much less so and can be objectively judged, if the judges cared.

Let's say that they are *almost* objective, especially SS and TR. But other than that, you're totally right.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is also the fact that spirals still mattered when Yuna competed them at the Olympics. I suppose Julia would have cleaned up in that department if it were still required in the SP (I wish they still were).

OT but I wonder if Julia can do a straddle jump like Sasha did? Or a split jump? With that flexibility of hers it'd probably look gorgeous.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thanks! No where near the level of a Cohen on the straddle jump. Not that she needs one of course especially what with the hugh scores that she is now receiving lol! Not a lot of height on the jumps either but what a fast little spinner ala Tara!

Yeah her straddle/split jumps are actually extremely disappointing. I remember seeing them last year or the year before and wishing Cohen could come work with her on them.See also this exhibition at 2:20 ish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKKgZvEiyp4

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fernandez was best in the LP, IMO.

Ten definitely deserved to win the competition as a whole, though.

No way, Ten was certainly the best. Fernandez should have beaten Chan though. But based on Chan's higher content and SP lead, as well as Ten doubling two triples, it is understandable why Chan won even though from a spectator standpoint Ten deserved to win.

Without a doubt under 6.0 Ten would have won as there is no arguing his 2nd after the short since no 3rd man skated clean. And the same goes for winning the LP.

zamboni step

Final Flight
No way, Ten was certainly the best. Fernandez should have beaten Chan though. But based on Chan's higher content and SP lead, as well as Ten doubling two triples, it is understandable why Chan won even though from a spectator standpoint Ten deserved to win.

Interesting that we're having a 2013 Worlds Men results debate on the 2013 CoR Ladies FS page, but never mind, I'll throw my thoughts into the already confusing mix. Fernandez had the best skate of the day but was guilty of the greatest sin under IJS; popping. It destroyed his base value and it didn't help he was skating in the penultimate group. Chan was a mess and was honestly over scored in PCS, he looked quite bored aside from the prancing part of his program, aimed directly at the judges I noticed. Ten was good, but his PCS was the weakest of the three. Honestly I think Ten deserved the win overall with second place in the FS and Chan the silver with maybe 3rd in the FS. Fernandez's bronze should have been a little closer to Chan's imaginary silver, having won the FS in my magical imagination. Although honestly for a land where that would happen, I may have to begin indulging in illegal substances. ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No way, Ten was certainly the best.

Why? To me his program was far less intricate and interesting than Fernandez's. He doesn't even really start performing until the first step sequence and then he completely breaks the tone of the program at the end with those fist pumps. Fernandez matched him on jumps and was just a little behind on spins and footwork. I'd have his PCS ahead enough to compensate for that.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Murakami's worked so well with the music that the telegraphing really doesn't matter, there was quite a few, yes they are the weakest part of her skating but they're still very impressive and aren't clearly there just to tick the TR box, they're there for choreographic purposes too. Julia may have good speed but her edges are a little shallow and she doesn't really use them to build up more speed, Murakami has better skating skills and she only deserves low 8s. 21 crossovers is good but is it really worthy of 8s when you have skaters like Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold receiving lower than 8s when theirs are also superior. Maybe this is me in desperate need of more sleep rather than binge watching skating with an industrial strength cleaning product at the ready to wipe it from my brain but I just don't see Lipnitskaya's 8 worthy transitions.

Are you sure that you are not biased? Julia looked quite good across the ice.