Men FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I had a feeling that Kovtun would succumb to the pressure. He is not very consistent, just look at last season. Javier had no pressure and failed to deliver. Besides Machida, they didn't really deserve their scores in the LP.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Kovtun is cruising for a bruising once he get back home with Tarasova. Compared to Cup of China (where he won the FS), his FS's TES is down by about 12 points but his PCS is up by 5 points.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
His PCS was crazy high but I think we all expected him to score 80+ in the FS no matter how he skated.

Javier was supremely lucky. I felt bad for Menshov who really could have medaled but just made too many errors.

Great skate from Machida!

Mao88

Record Breaker

StellaCampo

On the Ice
At present, Kovton's abilities don't match this gorgeous Tchaikovsky music. I would like to see Petrenko skate to this with the same choreography.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Kovtun's black costume looks exactly like the baby romper my brother used to wear as a toddler :D

That costume resembles a lot of that John Curry had in his Olympic competition. The shirt is a bit different though.

Anyway, I´m glad about the men´s result in this GP, because it gave Han Yan the slot for GPF...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Dornbush 2nd in the LP. Yay! Hope he can do a perfect performance at Nationals. Really want to see that program at Olympics.

mercury

Rinkside
Such overscoring in PCS beyond any ounce of justification was sad. It takes away the meaning of competition - whether the final medal standing is "fair" or not. Very sad. It makes me want to turn away from figure skating, again.

Becki

Medalist
Dornbush 2nd in the LP. Yay! Hope he can do a perfect performance at Nationals. Really want to see that program at Olympics.

Me too! I thought I was part of the minority, but I think Dornbush has a very nice LP! He's my pick for the US Olympic Team, along with one of Jason Brown or Joshua Farris.

There ought to be a way for skaters like Dornbush, Abbott, etc., to design a high-scoring program without the obligatory fall on the quad as the first element….No, I guess not. :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There ought to be a way for skaters like Dornbush, Abbott, etc., to design a high-scoring program without the obligatory fall on the quad as the first element….No, I guess not. :(

Wouldn't that be Jason Brown's program? No quad in sight and 158+. Jeremy's quadless program also got 158+. Those two are 4th and 3rd highest FS among the US men ( and 10th and 9th in the isu season's best list.)

jan

On the Ice
I actually like him as well. I like his uncomplicated and clean style. I do wish he would do something with his hands. I like him more than Jason Brown.

Me too! I thought I was part of the minority, but I think Dornbush has a very nice LP! He's my pick for the US Olympic Team, along with one of Jason Brown or Joshua Farris.

I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall. Rivals falling on quads are out-pointing them handily.

Jason Brown's program is about the best you can do without a quad (he has to hit both triple Axels, though). Hanyu beat him by ten points starting with 1S and 4T (fall).

Abbott's "quadless program" led off with 3T. About the same as 4T< (fall). He should substitute 3Lz.

Johnny Weir, commenting on NBC just now, said it flat out. Dornbush must do a quad, period.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall. Rivals falling on quads are out-pointing them handily.

Jason Brown's program is about the best you can do without a quad (he has to hit both triple Axels, though). Hanyu beat him by ten points starting with 1S and 4T (fall).

Abbott's "quadless program" led off with 3T. About the same as 4T< (fall). He should substitute 3Lz.

Johnny Weir, commenting on NBC just now, said it flat out. Dornbush must do a quad, period.

Hanyu also had two 3A after the halfway mark and the second half of his program was clean.

Here's Yuzuru's second half:

3A-3T
3A-2T
3Lo
3Z-1Lo-3S
3Z

BV 48.52

And Jason's

3Z-1L-3S
3F-3T
2A
3Z
3Lo

BV 37.95

There is your 10 points right there.

Jason can still play around with the jumps to increase the BV, putting a 3A in the second half for example. His jump +GOE is also not super high, he gets mostly +1 there, so can improve in that area as well.

For the record it's 4th and 3rd in the US in the free skate. Jason still has the highest SP (top actually) and overall among the U.S. men. Jason currently is 7th on the season's best list.

I think quads give you a bit of a cushion, but you can't make errors anywhere else.

Also Jeremy said he planned the 3T instead of doing the 4T at NHK, so that's why I cited that as an example.

I guess it goes back to the question is how do you balance rewarding doing difficult elements while sufficiently penalizing mistakes?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall.

There is a way - skating perfectly. Patrick Chan at TEB is the only case this season where someone was unbeatable if a top competitor didn't have a Quad.

Moment

Final Flight
Hanyu also had two 3A after the halfway mark and the second half of his program was clean.

Here's Yuzuru's second half:

3A-3T
3A-2T
3Lo
3Z-1Lo-3S
3Z

BV 48.52

And Jason's

3Z-1L-3S
3F-3T
2A
3Z
3Lo

BV 37.95

There is your 10 points right there.

Jason can still play around with the jumps to increase the BV, putting a 3A in the second half for example. His jump +GOE is also not super high, he gets mostly +1 there, so can improve in that area as well.

For the record it's 4th and 3rd in the US in the free skate. Jason still has the highest SP (top actually) and overall among the U.S. men. Jason currently is 7th on the season's best list.

I think quads give you a bit of a cushion, but you can't make errors anywhere else.

Also Jeremy said he planned the 3T instead of doing the 4T at NHK, so that's why I cited that as an example.

I guess it goes back to the question is how do you balance rewarding doing difficult elements while sufficiently penalizing mistakes?

Yuzuru can do both 3Axels in the second half because he's confident with the jump. Not a good idea for Jason whose 3Axels are hardly consistent. Remember his SA free skate?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuzuru can do both 3Axels in the second half because he's confident with the jump. Not a good idea for Jason whose 3Axels are hardly consistent. Remember his SA free skate?

I was thinking this as more of a "down the road" change. Only point was that Jason has some room to improve the program.

I think that the consistency will come soon in the FS. He already is 3-3 in SP.

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
his FS's TES is down by about 12 points but his PCS is up by 5 points.
Yes! Because he needs to get his PCS up to The Threshold, even at the expense of TES!

I mean The Threshold at which it becomes like a Precedent in law:
Once surpassed, PCS can never fall below The Threshold no matter how badly they skate.
He can work on his TES again later.

I'm joking of course :-D

Or am I? haha! (I bet everyone has had a "whut?!" moment that made them wonder! :-D)

zamboni step

Final Flight
Yes! Because he needs to get his PCS up to The Threshold, even at the expense of TES!

I mean The Threshold at which it becomes like a Precedent in law:
Once surpassed, PCS can never fall below The Threshold no matter how badly they skate.
He can work on his TES again later.

I'm joking of course :-D

Or am I? haha! (I bet everyone has had a "whut?!" moment that made them wonder! :-D)

No I understand what you mean....I think. And I agree, once someone is considered to be an 8s worthy skater, they won't fall below 8s unless they really fall to 5 worthy skating or lose their jumps. This is a very annoying but persistent factor in figure skating.