Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Men FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I had a feeling that Kovtun would succumb to the pressure. He is not very consistent, just look at last season. Javier had no pressure and failed to deliver. Besides Machida, they didn't really deserve their scores in the LP.

Custom Title
    Kovtun is cruising for a bruising once he get back home with Tarasova. Compared to Cup of China (where he won the FS), his FS's TES is down by about 12 points but his PCS is up by 5 points.

Custom Title
    His PCS was crazy high but I think we all expected him to score 80+ in the FS no matter how he skated.

Javier was supremely lucky. I felt bad for Menshov who really could have medaled but just made too many errors.

Great skate from Machida!

Custom Title
    MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Misha GE (UZB) Free Skate
    2. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) Free Skate
    3. Peter LIEBERS (GER) Free Skate
    4. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) Free Skate

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) Free Skate
    6. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) Free Skate
    7. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    8. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Custom Title
    At present, Kovton's abilities don't match this gorgeous Tchaikovsky music. I would like to see Petrenko skate to this with the same choreography.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Kovtun's black costume looks exactly like the baby romper my brother used to wear as a toddler :D
    That costume resembles a lot of that John Curry had in his Olympic competition. The shirt is a bit different though.

Anyway, I´m glad about the men´s result in this GP, because it gave Han Yan the slot for GPF...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Dornbush 2nd in the LP. Yay! Hope he can do a perfect performance at Nationals. Really want to see that program at Olympics.

Rinkside
    Such overscoring in PCS beyond any ounce of justification was sad. It takes away the meaning of competition - whether the final medal standing is "fair" or not. Very sad. It makes me want to turn away from figure skating, again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Dornbush 2nd in the LP. Yay! Hope he can do a perfect performance at Nationals. Really want to see that program at Olympics.
    Me too! I thought I was part of the minority, but I think Dornbush has a very nice LP! He's my pick for the US Olympic Team, along with one of Jason Brown or Joshua Farris.

There ought to be a way for skaters like Dornbush, Abbott, etc., to design a high-scoring program without the obligatory fall on the quad as the first element….No, I guess not. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There ought to be a way for skaters like Dornbush, Abbott, etc., to design a high-scoring program without the obligatory fall on the quad as the first element….No, I guess not. :(
    Wouldn't that be Jason Brown's program? No quad in sight and 158+. Jeremy's quadless program also got 158+. Those two are 4th and 3rd highest FS among the US men ( and 10th and 9th in the isu season's best list.)

Custom Title
    I actually like him as well. I like his uncomplicated and clean style. I do wish he would do something with his hands. I like him more than Jason Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Me too! I thought I was part of the minority, but I think Dornbush has a very nice LP! He's my pick for the US Olympic Team, along with one of Jason Brown or Joshua Farris.

I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall. Rivals falling on quads are out-pointing them handily.

Jason Brown's program is about the best you can do without a quad (he has to hit both triple Axels, though). Hanyu beat him by ten points starting with 1S and 4T (fall).

Abbott's "quadless program" led off with 3T. About the same as 4T< (fall). He should substitute 3Lz.

Johnny Weir, commenting on NBC just now, said it flat out. Dornbush must do a quad, period.

I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall. Rivals falling on quads are out-pointing them handily.

Jason Brown's program is about the best you can do without a quad (he has to hit both triple Axels, though). Hanyu beat him by ten points starting with 1S and 4T (fall).

Abbott's "quadless program" led off with 3T. About the same as 4T< (fall). He should substitute 3Lz.

Johnny Weir, commenting on NBC just now, said it flat out. Dornbush must do a quad, period.
    Hanyu also had two 3A after the halfway mark and the second half of his program was clean.

Here's Yuzuru's second half:

3A-3T
    3A-2T
    3Lo
    3Z-1Lo-3S
    3Z

BV 48.52

And Jason's

3Z-1L-3S
    3F-3T
    2A
    3Z
    3Lo

BV 37.95

There is your 10 points right there.

Jason can still play around with the jumps to increase the BV, putting a 3A in the second half for example. His jump +GOE is also not super high, he gets mostly +1 there, so can improve in that area as well.

For the record it's 4th and 3rd in the US in the free skate. Jason still has the highest SP (top actually) and overall among the U.S. men. Jason currently is 7th on the season's best list.

I think quads give you a bit of a cushion, but you can't make errors anywhere else.

Also Jeremy said he planned the 3T instead of doing the 4T at NHK, so that's why I cited that as an example.

I guess it goes back to the question is how do you balance rewarding doing difficult elements while sufficiently penalizing mistakes?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I wish there were a way to do it and score higher than 4th and 3rd in the U.S. (two go to Sochi) and 10th and 9th overall.
    There is a way - skating perfectly. Patrick Chan at TEB is the only case this season where someone was unbeatable if a top competitor didn't have a Quad.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast