Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    Just caught up on the rest of the ice dance competition.

According to Carol Lane, Paul Poirier was the one who invented that awesome rotational lift in G/P fd.
    The rotational lift wasn't particularly awesome, but the stationary lift is fabulous! Are you sure you don't mean the stationary lift (early in the program where Piper is doing a kind of windmill motion?) I love that stationary lift. Just perfect for Hitchcok.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Buttle is a hypocrite
    like the sham scores for Osmond, D/R and Chan in Canadian soil ?
    why doesn't he mention that
    Despite red herrings by several fans, Osmond, D&R, Chan, and for that matter D&W, were not competing at this event. And aren't they all lucky that they weren't

It is entirely true that all federations try to produce as positive an outcome for their own skaters in events they run themselves. How can they do that?

1. They can schedule the event at a rink favored by or close to where their top skater/team trains.
    2. They can decide whether their top skater would be best favored by strict or not so strict calling, and when they are asked about their preference for officials, ask accordingly (curiously enough, the event Fed is the group who invites the judges and the tech panel.

This is not a guarantee, but there are different levels of strictness among callers.

The Russians are really not much different than any other federation.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-24-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    Well... it's obvious that the style of Weaver & Poje is very crowd friendly (personally, it's one of my favs this season) but B&S aren't half as bad as in some comments I've heard today. Zhulin might have thought that this idea for the fd could work considering that it was first used by Domnina & Tikhonov in one of those russian tv shows to great sucess. Maybe he really wanted them to keep doing something diferent. The thing is I don't believe the general audience wants to watch or embrace that sort of artistic approach in competition. I still believe that FD has some potential and that B&S will get better as the season progresses.
    I think doing something different really should be in line with what the prevailing mood is and which gets good scores and audience reception. B/S lost the fd so even here they couldn't win the fd with their program. It's not contradictory to say be different but in line with the taste of those who matter. Russian different is maybe too different. They absolutely must go with north American different and just be in line with those limits and taste.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Well I finally got a chance to see the B/S FD.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be one of THE greatest camp FDs I've ever seen, from the ridiculous 80s ombre costuming to the overwrought Uber! Euro!! Trauma!!! DRAMA!!!! to the final "anguished" "scream" by Mr S. But I know just how he feels--if I had to dance schlock like that, in public, I'd be anguished too.

As an audience member though I was awash in wave after wave of near-hysterical laughter, starting with those hilariously stupid head twitches that start us off and running.

Seriously, this is going to enter the Ice Dance Camp Hall Of Fame. What tilts it in that direction are the sound effects, which took something that originally looked misguided in its first outing to High Camp now. It may even give I/K's Ghost program a run for its money there.
    For me the high point was the dog's howl. From that point on everything went downhil.

Custom Title
    Worse is when you compare B/S' interpretation of Vivaldi to Chan's

P.s. Kinda amusingly ironic when people choose "Summer" for the Winter Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Worse is when you compare B/S' interpretation of Vivaldi to Chan's

P.s. Kinda amusingly ironic when people choose "Summer" for the Winter Olympics.
    I don't know, perhaps they think of Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    53+ PCS. Does dog barking sounds get a few extra points in P/E?
    Oh B/S, i was starting to like you last season and then you had to go and do Faust 2.0. Why are they so insistent on making Ekaterina look like an old Russian lady?!
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
    So the B/S FD is about a pair of birds who are being hunted, and one of the birds gets shot (there was a gunshot halfway through the program, I think?) and the Mozart Requiem plays in honor of the dying bird? I realize it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I have to wonder what Zhulin is drinking these days. I really liked B/S's FD last year, but this one........
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    But seriously will speed and ice coverage get you a PCS score of 53, even with a bad fall, bad posture and recycled, unimaginative choreography? Other teams should take note. I want to see this spectacle again, videos soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Complete with the worst hunched back in ice dance history. They should skate to Addams Family as I swear she is the long lost wife of Lurch.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    @ B/S getting a personal best FD with a fall! Perfect way to cap off a competition of *stellar* judging.
    BS indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Don't you hate it when you forget to shut the door and the dog comes in while you're doing it? So brave of B/S to share and humanize this topic for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Well I finally got a chance to see the B/S FD. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may be one of THE greatest camp FDs I've ever seen, from the ridiculous 80s ombre costuming to the overwrought Uber! Euro!! Trauma!!! DRAMA!!!! to the final "anguished" "scream" by Mr S. But I know just how he feels--if I had to dance schlock like that, in public, I'd be anguished too. As an audience member though I was awash in wave after wave of near-hysterical laughter, starting with those hilariously stupid head twitches that start us off and running.Seriously, this is going to enter the Ice Dance Camp Hall Of Fame. What tilts it in that direction are the sound effects, which took something that originally looked misguided in its first outing to High Camp now. It may even give I/K's Ghost program a run for its money there.

The fall of Communism was over 20 years ago. I just wonder why some people are stuck in the 80s, especially when Bobrova is the new generation!!!!!!!!!!!!! A campy caricature of Soviet ice dancing, complete with pretensions of intensity and histrionics. I suppose Zhulin is a loving coach who "gave" the Four Seasons (his and Maya's signature piece) to this top pupils, but they failed artistically. The Brit Euro commentators did go on about their speed and power, but it was manically done and achieved through a less complex choreography. This reminds me of the situation of G&P where their speed trumped their lack of creativity and refinement, and B&S is benefiting from the same situation.

Zhulin did say B/S can go for a silver....

An injustice to all canines!!!!! Bobrova needs to properly apply smokey eyes makeup. The entire package is an embarrassment.

And of course the fall and the inflated scores are only going to vilify an already unpopular pair.

I thought that it was perhaps possible that judges were going to give B&S a sweetener victory only to crucify them in the GPF, Russian Nationals (where I&K would be unveiled as the new Russian No1), and Olympics.

Weren't Gilles & Poirier brilliant? Their Hitchcock program is introducing them as real creative ice dancers in the coming post-DW/VM era. There was a story full of unusual movements. Their inexperience shows towards the last half of the program and it fizzled out, but they are such an exciting couple. Hope to see them medal in 2018/22!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Weren't Gilles & Poirier brilliant? Their Hitchcock program is introducing them as real creative ice dancers in the coming post-DW/VM era. There was a story full of unusual movements. Their inexperience shows towards the last half of the program and it fizzled out, but they are such an exciting couple. Hope to see them medal in 2018/22!

Agree. Their program was masterpiece.. Last year I did not like them and this year I was prepared to hate them but when I saw this program and the improvement in skating.............from now on I am their fan.

Btw what about Piper Gilles Canadian citizenship? Could she get it in time for Winter Olimpics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post

Agree. Their program was masterpiece.. Last year I did not like them and this year I was prepared to hate them but when I saw this program and the improvement in skating.............from now on I am their fan.

Btw what about Piper Gilles Canadian citizenship? Could she get it in time for Winter Olimpics?
    Hope so (although it seems doubtful ) It is a masterpeice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    When the poster said G/P in the same context as Zhulin, I believe he/she was talking about Grishuk/Platov, not Gilles/Poirier

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    When the poster said G/P in the same context as Zhulin, I believe he/she was talking about Grishuk/Platov, not Gilles/Poirier
    Correct.

The parallel between Bobrova and Soloviev and Grishuk and Platov is that they aren't the most refined, sophisticated, and interesting skaters, but the judges are allowing their speed and deep edges (achieved through less complex choreography compared to others) to compensate for their shortcomings. That isn't right. Grishuk and Platov were from another era and there were few couples who could rival them at the time, and now B&S have many more rivals who are far more talented and technically blessed. B&S shouldn't have beat W&P especially with a mistake. Even on Russian soil, the audience responded more enthusiastically to W&P than to B&S. I was such a fan of B&S but now it seems they and Zhulin believe in their own hubristic hype. Instead of improving their programs like the other couples, they made it worse.

I also mentioned Gilles and Poirier in a separate post. They are the future. I hope they keep up with this level of creativity. It really was like watching the typical Hitchcock blond on ice trying to be liberated from captivity.

Custom Title
    Grishuk and Platov may have had speed and deep edges for sure. Bobrova and Soloviev have speed, yes, but deep edges---not so much. Bobrova is piked over so far from the waist that she's practically on her toe picks. No wonder she tumbled over during the step sequence and couldn't get up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Grishuk and Platov may have had speed and deep edges for sure. Bobrova and Soloviev have speed, yes, but deep edges---not so much. Bobrova is piked over so far from the waist that she's practically on her toe picks. No wonder she tumbled over during the step sequence and couldn't get up!
    They do have deep edges when the choreography is fairly simple which is often. This Four Seasons piece is an attempt at more complexity but it fails artistically.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11