Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

BlackPack

Medalist
When the poster said G/P in the same context as Zhulin, I believe he/she was talking about Grishuk/Platov, not Gilles/Poirier

Correct.

The parallel between Bobrova and Soloviev and Grishuk and Platov is that they aren't the most refined, sophisticated, and interesting skaters, but the judges are allowing their speed and deep edges (achieved through less complex choreography compared to others) to compensate for their shortcomings. That isn't right. Grishuk and Platov were from another era and there were few couples who could rival them at the time, and now B&S have many more rivals who are far more talented and technically blessed. B&S shouldn't have beat W&P especially with a mistake. Even on Russian soil, the audience responded more enthusiastically to W&P than to B&S. I was such a fan of B&S but now it seems they and Zhulin believe in their own hubristic hype. Instead of improving their programs like the other couples, they made it worse.

I also mentioned Gilles and Poirier in a separate post. They are the future. I hope they keep up with this level of creativity. It really was like watching the typical Hitchcock blond on ice trying to be liberated from captivity.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grishuk and Platov may have had speed and deep edges for sure. Bobrova and Soloviev have speed, yes, but deep edges---not so much. Bobrova is piked over so far from the waist that she's practically on her toe picks. No wonder she tumbled over during the step sequence and couldn't get up!

BlackPack

Medalist
Grishuk and Platov may have had speed and deep edges for sure. Bobrova and Soloviev have speed, yes, but deep edges---not so much. Bobrova is piked over so far from the waist that she's practically on her toe picks. No wonder she tumbled over during the step sequence and couldn't get up!

They do have deep edges when the choreography is fairly simple which is often. This Four Seasons piece is an attempt at more complexity but it fails artistically.