Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
R.O.S. strategy: put B/S far enough ahead in the SP that W/P can't possibly overtake in the FD. Worked here, doubt if it will in the GPF. Sochi? My bet's on RF pushing this team not I/K.

if they keep pushing for B/S til Sochi
then goodbye Ice Dance medal

bramweld

Record Breaker
Barring the supposed errors W/P made in the short, when any foreign teams go to Russia this is how you do it!!C/B also responded nicely, way to go!!

elif

Medalist
So the B/S FD is about a pair of birds who are being hunted, and one of the birds gets shot (there was a gunshot halfway through the program, I think?) and the Mozart Requiem plays in honor of the dying bird?

I realize it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I have to wonder what Zhulin is drinking these days. I really liked B/S's FD last year, but this one........

They changed the music. First one is a lot of better than that. :disapp:

Dots

Final Flight
So the B/S FD is about a pair of birds who are being hunted, and one of the birds gets shot (there was a gunshot halfway through the program, I think?) and the Mozart Requiem plays in honor of the dying bird?

I realize it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I have to wonder what Zhulin is drinking these days. I really liked B/S's FD last year, but this one........

Oh dear! :rofl:

I just can't. Sorry B/S fans but this team shouldn't be fighting for GP medals, let alone wining them! :laugh:

In other words I have seen junior teams skate better.

bramweld

Record Breaker
But seriously will speed and ice coverage get you a PCS score of 53, even with a bad fall, bad posture and recycled, unimaginative choreography? Other teams should take note. I want to see this spectacle again, videos soon?

sweetskates1

Medalist
B/S should place sixth and last at GPF. Any early predictions given the mixed results at Rostelecom?

If they all skate their best, I think standings would look something like this:

B/S - 6
P/B - 5
W/P - 3 or 4
C/L - 3 or 4
V/M - 2
D/W - 1 by over 5 points.

elif

Medalist
I think Bobrova/Soloviev should skip the GPF and nationals. They can work with new program. They still can skate at the Europeans against Pechalat/Bourzat, Capellini/Lanotte and Ilinykh/Katsalapov. Davis/White changed their dance to waltz in 2012. They skated almost perfect in Skate America (first event) They should try at least. I don't want to see that program again. :disapp:

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Free Dance
2. Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY / Dmitri DUN (UKR)
3. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) Free Dance
4. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS)

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) Free Dance
6. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS)
7. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) Free Dance
8. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) Free Dance

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think Bobrova/Soloviev should skip the GPF and nationals. They can work with new program. They still can skate at the Europeans against Pechalat/Bourzat, Capellini/Lanotte and Ilinykh/Katsalapov. Davis/White changed their dance to waltz in 2012. They skated almost perfect in Skate America (first event) They should try at least. I don't want to see that program again. :disapp:

Well, they've got no incentive whatsoever to change it now, since they've just been given a top-notch score for that mess. An example of how this kind of nonsense can be bad even for the people being "gifted" by it. They're not getting honest feedback, so how are they to know what should be changed or cleaned up? It's a shame, because I thought their world bronze this year was well-deserved and they could be much better than this. (And of course, I'm also ticked for W&P, and disappointed in the sport in general).

I've only watched the dance so far, and now I'm not really interested in watching the rest. :frown:

elif

Medalist
If they skip the Grand Prix final they will be seen as cowards who didn't want to face the light and compete vs the top teams outside of Russia. Everyone knows this was the years most scandalous result, so to skip the Grand Prix final in Japan right after would look horrible on them. It really is a no win for them.

Olympics is in the Russia. They can't take a medal (even a team medal) with that frantic free dance. They already lost both P/B and W/P (free dance) Coward or not they should just ditch this program and go for some beautiful waltz or anything other than that. This is looking like their 2012 FD which I hate a lot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, they've got no incentive whatsoever to change it now, since they've just been given a top-notch score for that mess. An example of how this kind of nonsense can be bad even for the people being "gifted" by it. They're not getting honest feedback, so how are they to know what should be changed or cleaned up? It's a shame, because I thought their world bronze this year was well-deserved and they could be much better than this. (And of course, I'm also ticked for W&P, and disappointed in the sport in general).

I've only watched the dance so far, and now I'm not really interested in watching the rest. :frown:

You should watch Mirai's performance. It was lovely. :) And Machida!

qwertyskates

Medalist
I can't stop watching G/P & W/P over and over!

I'm really pleased the FD is one of the finest I've seen, including B/S. They cleaned up their hair and costumes and finessed a lot of their FD at CoC. Of course there's home advantage, but par for the course, as the Russians were frequently underscored at other GPs too. It's an evener.

I like their 4Seasons, abstract, modern and unexpected. Ditto for Hitchcock and Tango, all broken from the mold, all breathtaking, new, & fascinating to watch. This is how it should be. C&B did well, but though there're lots of dramatic moments, the FD is the usual fare and forgettable. W/P's Tango is an eye-opener, so true to form, and just jaw-droppingly beautiful, gorgeous, like the way Tango is meant to be.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhulin can change the music. He can change the costumes. He can change Ekaterina's eyeshadow. But when it's all said and done, it's still the same old pile of dreck.

BTW, for the FD, B/S were the only Russian team who took a hit on a step sequence, and that was because Ekaterina fell (and took longer than 2 seconds to get up).

The only other teams who took hits on step sequences (L1 or L2) and lifts (L3 or lower) were non-Russian teams.
All three Russian teams got L4 on all four of their lifts, L3 on both step sequences, and L4 on twizzle and spin
W/P were the only non-Russian team to get those levels.

C/B L2 step, L3 lift
G/P both steps L2 twizzle 3 lift L3
P/C steps L2 and L1 Lifts L2 and L3
H/D steps L1 and L2

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
You should watch Mirai's performance. It was lovely. :) And Machida!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, right on. I know ice dance judging is often a mystery to most fans, but you don't have to be particularly knowledgeable about it to see B&S were sloppy, their program is a significant step backward from last year's, and they clearly were not the best of the night. Predicting the "demise" of figure skating might be a bit melodramatic (it's not like it's going away anytime soon), but the sport is definitely in need of some credibility, and this kind of thing really doesn't help. :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think the demise he is referring to is when a team is held down in the SD and then wins the FD by 2 points over a team that fell (and the team that fell received a PB). And he was also possibly referring to Julia getting her best PCS (by 2.5 points) for a 3-triple performance with a fall.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Well... it's obvious that the style of Weaver & Poje is very crowd friendly (personally, it's one of my favs this season) but B&S aren't half as bad as in some comments I've heard today. Zhulin might have thought that this idea for the fd could work considering that it was first used by Domnina & Tikhonov in one of those russian tv shows to great sucess. Maybe he really wanted them to keep doing something diferent. The thing is I don't believe the general audience wants to watch or embrace that sort of artistic approach in competition. I still believe that FD has some potential and that B&S will get better as the season progresses.