Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Abuse of Young People in Figure Skating

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That is quite true about music. It's tricky to keep our grandson from doing too much and injuring himself in music.
    We are very proud of him, but very fearful.

In Norway there are strict rules for child athletes, how and when they are allowed to compete. The intention is concern for children's health, mentally and physically and a philosophy that children shall do sports for fun. I don't know the exact rules, but you have to be thirteen the year you are allowed to compete at Nationals and international competitions, like Nordics, Europeans, Worlds. From eleven years old you can compete in open competitions (no required qualifications) in the Nordic area where the results are not important and all are rewarded. Before that children compete in local competitions.

I don't think these rules prevent Norwegian athletes from being successful as juniors/seniors. As proven, definitely not in ski sports and speed skating

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    What? this may me true of some skaters, but you go on and on about Julia L. and if anything, how she has been packaged this season is THE most age appropriate of all of the girls on the circuit. I love her somewhat understated (and MODEST!!!) dresses, and that she doesn't go completely overboard with the makeup - to me she looks like an exceptionally talented 15 year old, not a little girl trying to look more grown up than she really is.

Limiting competition age will NOT stop these girls from training hard at an early age. Skaters like Tara would have suffered the same injuries no matter what, and in Tara's case, her career would have been over before she even got a shot if the age requirements then were as they are now. She just got lucky.
    I agree Sarahspins 100%. I like your attitude, to counter SashaSpins!!! LOL.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    In Norway there are strict rules for child athletes, how and when they are allowed to compete. The intention is concern for children's health, mentally and physically and a philosophy that children shall do sports for fun. I don't know the exact rules, but you have to be thirteen the year you are allowed to compete at Nationals and international competitions, like Nordics, Europeans, Worlds. From eleven years old you can compete in open competitions (no required qualifications) in the Nordic area where the results are not important and all are rewarded. Before that children compete in local competitions.

I don't think these rules prevent Norwegian athletes from being successful as juniors/seniors. As proven, definitely not in ski sports and speed skating
    Sounds like a very sensible approach, and, as you say, it hasn't hurt Norway's standards.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Sounds like a very sensible approach, and, as you say, it hasn't hurt Norway's standards.
    Hasn't it? How many Norwegian figure skaters do we know? What are their international results?

Alright, I will answer that myself.

MEN
    between 1969-1988 there was no skater in men's seniors at the Norwegian figure skating championships
    In 1989 and 1990 there was one skater in men's seniors, I don't think he had much success internationally though
    1991 and 1992 there was no men in seniors
    1993 there was ONE skater in men's seniors, I don't think he had much success internationally
    1994-2005 there was no men in seniors
    2006 and 2007 there was ONE skater in men's seniors, I don't think he had much success internationally
    2008-2013 there was no men in seniors

PAIRS
    1969 - 2013 there were no pairs in seniors at the Norwegian figure skating championships

I don't think they have any dancers either.

The situation is slightly better in ladies, but even though they have some ladies in seniors at the Norwegian figure skating championships, they are completely unknown in international competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Hasn't it? How many Norwegian figure skaters do we know? What are their international results?
    But the reasons for that I don't think is that children can't compete until a certain age. Norway isn't that succesful at ice hockey either(and lots of other sports). Few rinks, which means little ice time for figure skaters. Sweden and Finland have succesful hockey teams and lots of ice rinks, so better facilities for figure skaters. Also nations have different traditions to why certain sports are more popular than others. Sure Norway had Sonia Henie, and you bet she isn't forgotten but that was a looooong time ago

hanca, may be they are not interesed in figure skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    hanca, may be they are not interesed in figure skating
    Or may be that they are not interested in majority of sports!

Medalist
    They love skiing and handball

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Npmonice, welcome to Golden Skate!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Npmonice, welcome to Golden Skate!
    Yes! But why did you delete your first post? I found it interesting. Do you mean that figure skating isn't seen as a "real sport" in Norway?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Yes! But why did you delete your first post? I found it interesting. Do you mean that figure skating isn't seen as a "real sport" in Norway?
    I was really not sure about replying to this thread. I posted then had second thoughts :(. Sorry.

Thank you for the welcome

Figure Skating in Norway is really an amature sport. They need to rethink the system in Norway and I would not recommend any country adopting the Norwegian system. I see a lot of frustration from the coaches side (the non Norwegian coaches). Alas it seems the Norwegians are happy with it, I'm not sure why. They have no real education system for coaches in Norway, you can compete, retire and go straight to coaching, but it's seen as a past time/hobby. But this is just my opinion.

The top lady in Norway actually trains in Sweden, and as far as I am aware the junior boy also does the same or he did the last I heard. So actually there not so much in Norway, no pairs, no ice dance and very few men/boys, so many I could count them on one hand. The NSU dedicates all it's efforts into the girls. Politics does not escape any country!

Custom Title
    This has been a hot topic since the 1990s, when a book was written about it called "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes." The age requirements came soon after, though I don't know if it is a direct result of this book or just a movement going on at that time. Most of the abuses were in gymnastics, and if you notice, gymnasts are a little bigger and older than they were in the 80s and 90s. You also hear about more girls staying in school (ironically, as homeschooling is going more mainstream for everybody else). I used to be concerned when I heard that Michelle, Tara, Mary Lou Retton, etc. were not even marginally enrolled in high school. How many others of that generation stopped going to high school and weren't rewarded with fame and fortune?

Also, I am not a gynecologist. I do not know the "normal" age of puberty. But as a teacher in several girls' schools over the years, I can say that it is not common for someone to be the age of these Russian ballerinas and still have not gone through the "change." I would worry that excessive exercise is delaying their menstrual cycle more than anything else. This "puberty monster" that is attacking people at 16 comes about 3-4 years earlier for most of us.

Medalist
    The judging system as I said before but deleted: children can compete at national competitions. Up until the year they turn 10 or it could be 11 I forget, they are judged using a colour code system, each colour (5 colours in total) represents specific criteria. So no COP until the year they turn 10/11.

Again the kids of all ages have very little time to train, maybe an hour on ice and an hour off ice. Maybe 5 hours on ice a week and 2 hours off ice. Of course It is up to the skaters to decide which days they would like to train. However the children tend to take part in many sports at the same time and it's not until they are around 11/12 sometimes older that they decide which sport to peruse. In the case of figure skating this in most cases is to late. Especially when no serious commitment has been made at an earlier age.

Thanks Npmonice for your answers.

Anyway i think it's good for children to do sports for fun and try many in young years. If they want to focus on one sport early on, like you probably must in figure skating, I think it's neccesary to have a diverse training: Running, playing ball games, wrestling or whatever. Not just jumping, jumping, spinning on the ice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast