Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can Julia Lipnitskaia close the gap on Adelina Sotnikova?

skating philosopher

Can Julia Lipnitskaia close the gap on Adelina Sotnikova?

Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, what do you think the Sochi prospects of these two skaters are now, post Nationals?

Custom Title

I'm trying and trying but I can't see Sotnikova as a serious medal contender. Sorry.

To me they are the same as they always were.

If Adelina goes clean or almost clean in both programs, she beats Julia (and probably everyone else but Mao and Yuna).

If Adelina skates like she usually skates, Julia beats her.

Odds therefore still favor Julia.

However, if this is the beginning of a new, clean era for Sotnikova, more power to her.

Banned
    simple answer:

The Rus Fed loves Sotnikova ever since she was 12
    and of course the judges will then follow and inflate her PCS

its scary how her PCS will be like next quad

Banned
    odds of Sotnikova skating clean outside Nationals ? probably 5 %
    they actually did Julia at least a favor, she will now work harder and improve everything she can to win

Custard Title
    Seriously? In my opinion Adelina has grown up and her jumps are still there. Julia although she is not 10-11 as one silly hater claims still looks like she has room to grow and her jumps do not look particularly large or secure. Her 3-3 is not impressive compared to that of, say, early Carolina Kostner, to say nothing of Yuna Kim. The older they get, I think the bigger the gap will get if Adelina can sort out her "headcase" issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    odds of Sotnikova skating clean outside Nationals ? probably 5 %
    they actually did Julia at least a favor, she will now work harder and improve everything she can to win
    I agree. I suspect that Sotnikova will completely bomb at the Olympics (not that I want her to - just my prediction).

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

If Adelina goes clean or almost clean in both programs, she beats Julia (and probably everyone else but Mao and Yuna).

However, if this is the beginning of a new, clean era for Sotnikova, more power to her.
    I agree with everything you said.

I don't know if Adelina can get 70+ PCS. Her personal best in PCS was 64+, which she got at TEB. But if she has an amazing performance, she could get tehre. Julia has received 70+ TES internationally. It's going to be interesting, for sure!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    I agree. I suspect that Sotnikova will completely bomb at the Olympics (not that I want her to - just my prediction).
    I can picture a Kostner in 2010 Olympics scenario for Sotnikova

Custard Title
    I can picture a Kostner in 2010 Olympics scenario for Sotnikova
    You'd love that, wouldn't you?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

I agree with this assessment. Adelina clean or with one mistake will blow past Julia, as she should.

Custom Title
    simple answer:

The Rus Fed loves Sotnikova ever since she was 12
    and of course the judges will then follow and inflate her PCS
    So, the next question is, why does the Russian Fed love her? Is it because she is way more interesting and exciting to watch than Julia? Or did the Russian Fed have a lottery to get to see who the favorite is and Adelina won?

I won't enjoy Julia as long as she only cares about her placement rather than how she performs. She skated a clean 7 triple LP and got 140 and was pouting because a superior all around skater placed ahead of her. Instead of pouting she should skate faster and jump bigger.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    So, the next question is, why does the Russian Fed love her? Is it because she is way more interesting and exciting to watch than Julia? Or did the Russian Fed have a lottery to get to see who the favorite is and Adelina won?

I won't enjoy Julia as long as she only cares about her placement rather than how she performs. She skated a clean 7 triple LP and got 140 and was pouting because a superior all around skater placed ahead of her. Instead of pouting she should skate faster and jump bigger.
    she was disappointed with her score because she did solid 7 triples, she got screwed
    Julia is not after her placements but her aim is to always skate clean as she has said many times
    the scores she got for a clean skate was what disappointed her not placing behind Sotnikova

Sotnikova isnt a superior all around skater some make it out she is
    Sotnikova is overrated and overhyped by her Fed

Julia has improved immensely this season, her FS alone should score higher than Sotnikova if clean
    she has improved her jumps, her 2A gets more height now and with difficult exit, better in IN, CH, PE, TR
    speed is good and she isnt slow as you make it is

Custom Title
    she was disappointed with her score because she did solid 7 triples, she got screwed
    Julia is not after her placements but her aim is to always skate clean as she has said many times
    the scores she got for a clean skate was what disappointed her not placing behind Sotnikova
    The only skater in the history of the universe who could remotely be disappointed with a 140 is Yuna Kim. So Julia thinks she is better than Yuna now? I like her even less.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    So Julia thinks she is better than Yuna now? I like her even less.
    ian't that wonderful
    yes she has said that about Yuna

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast