Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: State of the U.S. Men: Post-GP season

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by nam57 View Post
    Dornbush looks done...
    I don't think so. He actually did quite nicely at COR in the FS, finishing second in that segment. I think Richard is still in it but he has to stop making all those errors or not get too wound up on the quad.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    To be honest, at this point, he just should try to do a two-footed Quad and not worry about it much. Get the rotations in and focus on doing the rest of the performance perfectly. 8.3 points from the Quad is enough. It's more important to nail the Triple Axels. He can pull big +GOE on those and all of the other guys have consistency issues on that jump (except maybe Max Aaron, but Dornbush can beat him anyway, unless Max skates a perfect SP and does least 2 of his Quads reasonably well in the LP).

Custom Title
    I really enjoyed PhaelJones' post. Have to agree with many of the points. I do think the future of US Men's skating is Jason Brown. And I honestly think the reason he doesn't have a quad is that his coach is taking him on a slower path because of his age. He said himself that he was thinking the 2018 Olys, not the 2014. He conquered the triple axel this year. Next year the quad? Why push it and burn him out when he does have time. He's such a joy to watch and he obviously enjoys what he's doing. As I've said many times, I just do not enjoy the type of skating that comes from Max Aaron - much like I didn't enjoy Elvis Stojko. You have to appreciate their jumping ability but it just kind of stops there for me. After watching Dornbush this weekend, I'm beginning to think he's skating with his head instead of his feet like Jeremy Abbott does. All that talent and yet the competitive edge isn't there. He had moments of brilliance and then just lost them.

So for me? Adam to win Nationals. Silver is up for grabs but am hoping Jason is on that podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Adam Rippon wins US Nationals this season with Jason Brown and Jeremy Abbott making the podium. In fourth, Max with mistakes. Richard Dornbush with a surprising quad may make podium and knock Jeremy or Max off. That's my guess - thanks for the awesome post!
    I agree.

1. Adam
    2. Jason
    3. Jeremy

Custom Title
    Definitely Adam will win, barring an injury, and hopefully he'll do respectably at the Olympics. I think Jeremy will come in 2nd--he always does well at Nationals, and if he skates well, he's the only person the judges would consider for a medal. Jason Brown will continue at 4CC/junior competitions and may be the hope for the future. He is cute. I like Max, but I'm worried he's on the Brandon Mroz path--one year he lands the quad and wins medals, then never quite does it again.

Custom Title
    Adam- has momentum, solid coaching, good programs and youth (or at least no known current injuries). Keeps himself out of hot water/political issues.
    Max- all he needs is a re-work to remove some of the over-his-head choreo, and put the focus back on his jumps. I don't see him as a Mroz type. There's a great ex hockey player (so macho, you know) story.
    Jason- No political downside, has a lot of competition savvy, has youth and health on his side-even with no quad. A great on the way up story line.
    Jeremy- could surprise and be on the podium, but struggling this season. Big question- can he train enough to get up on his quad, considering his ongoing back issues? Plus you can bet he sunk his political boat with his interior decorator comments.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Definitely Adam will win, barring an injury, and hopefully he'll do respectably at the Olympics. I think Jeremy will come in 2nd--he always does well at Nationals, and if he skates well, he's the only person the judges would consider for a medal. Jason Brown will continue at 4CC/junior competitions and may be the hope for the future. He is cute. I like Max, but I'm worried he's on the Brandon Mroz path--one year he lands the quad and wins medals, then never quite does it again.
    I don't see Jason Brown (or Joshua Farris, for that matter) going back to junior worlds. Jason has gone three times, Joshua twice. I'm hoping both will get top 5 so they can go to 4CC, if neither of them get to the top two for Worlds/Olympics. The only reason USFSA will send them to junior worlds if they perceive they are needed to retain the full amount of JGP spots. Nathan Chen, barring injury, should be able to do that quite easily. But given the fact they didn't even use all the spots this year, I'm not sure how motivated USFSA would be to get full spots. Once Jason and Josh moved up to seniors, there's been a bit of a brain drain in the junior men, again aside from Nathan Chen. Shotoro Omori looked good but then he got injured. Vincent Zhou and Tomoki Hiwatashi (2013 Novice champ) also are injured. Jordan Moeller (who is Jason Brown's training mate) did well enough to get two events, but did not medal at either one. The rest of the junior men ranked so poorly in their first event the federation opted to forgo spots rather than give them another event.

I have a feeling that the junior world entries will all come from the junior results. Shotoro was the only one in juniors internationally planning to move up to seniors nationally, but he WD from sectionals so he won't be there.

I think Max is better than Brandon, actually, namely lots of speed and decent skating skills.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    ... I think Jeremy will come in 2nd--he always does well at Nationals, and if he skates well, he's the only person the judges would consider for a medal. ...
    Depends on what you mean by "always" and by "well."
    Over the last five years, Abbott has placed fourth (once), third (once), and first (three times) at Nats.
    He has missed the world team twice -- although top four is nothing to sneeze at.

Custom Title
    I can't see Jason or Joshua going back to junior worlds.. Especially not Joshua, who has already won it. Besides, i doubt either of them would even have a junior-length version of their LPs!

Nationals:

1 Max
    2 Joshua
    3 Jason
    4 Adam

Is this video new? I just noticed it on the NBC site, and it has no date. Features American men Aaron, Miner, Lysacek.

Mastering the quad
    One jump, four rotations, land it on a quarter inch blade of steel: "The Quad" is the gold standard in men's figure skating. Top Americans break down the jump.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mastering-quad (3:09 in length)

Custom Title
    Sounds interesting but... sigh... "This content is currently unavailable." I'm guessing geoblocked? I don't suppose there's a tanscript of it anywhere?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I didn't see a transcript on the site. It mostly boiled down to The Quad is Hard. Max Aaron, Evan Lysacek & Ross Miner were talking. They discussed the g-forces that a skater undergoes doing a quad, and compared the force on the skater at landing as being about the same as if he landed with a refrigerator on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ... Mastering the quad
    One jump, four rotations, land it on a quarter inch blade of steel: "The Quad" is the gold standard in men's figure skating. Top Americans break down the jump.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mastering-quad (3:09 in length)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Sounds interesting but... sigh... "This content is currently unavailable." I'm guessing geoblocked? I don't suppose there's a tanscript of it anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I didn't see a transcript on the site. It mostly boiled down to The Quad is Hard. Max Aaron, Evan Lysacek & Ross Miner were talking. They discussed the g-forces that a skater undergoes doing a quad, and compared the force on the skater at landing as being about the same as if he landed with a refrigerator on his back.
    A few other bits that stuck in my head:
    - Miner noted that the quad is a mental as well as physical challenge.
    - He said that learning a new jump could entail falling thirty times per session -- multiplied by three sessions per day.
    - Aaron added that it's a hard fall, and made a hockey analogy to taking a hit from a big guy. "Knocks the wind out of you."

As an aside, I was very pleased for Miner that the video featured him as prominently as Aaron (who remains my main man ) and Lysacek.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm hoping Ross will recover from his injuries and have 2 good skates at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm hoping Ross will recover from his injuries and have 2 good skates at Nationals.
    I hope so also! I normally like the more lyrical skaters like Jeremy and Jason, but for some reason I also really like Ross. He seems so hardworking and not a headcase. He's gone to Tom Dickson for choreography (last season) and seems to be working on being more expressive. Now, if he could find his 3A (which seems to be missing) and at least rotate the quad, he would be in good shape!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast