Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-fa...202500430.html

no mention of the russian skaters?? their chances are much better actually...

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post

I wonder if someone else besides the writer wrote the headline. The actually story says, here are five competitors to watch, not here are five gold medal contenders.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post

I find it humorous that the they don't mention the Russians - but it's probably because Russia hasn't officially named their Olympic team. Though Adelina being the national champ is probably a definite (unless she gets injured at Euros) and unless Julia gets hurt or totally implodes by falling on every single jump both nights - I doubt they leave her off, she's been far to good and she finished 2nd at nationals, plus she seems to be a favorite of the media.

Banned
    It's just U.S. reporting for uninformed U.S. audiences.

The contenders are:

1. Yuna Kim
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Akiko Suzuki
    4. Adelina Sotnikova
    5. Julia Lipnitskaia
    6. Gracie Gold
    7. Kanako Murakami

With Kostner as a wild-card.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    It's just U.S. reporting for uninformed U.S. audiences.

The contenders are:

1. Yuna Kim
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Akiko Suzuki
    4. Adelina Sotnikova
    5. Julia Lipnitskaia
    6. Gracie Gold
    7. Kanako Murakami

With Kostner as a wild-card.

My order as far as favoritsm going in would be:

1. Kim
    2. Asada
    3. Lipnitskaia
    4. Suzuki
    5. Kostner
    6. Sotnikova
    7. Gold

Wagner and Murakami are the wild cards. Sotnikova is too inconsistent to put higher, and Kostner is having too blah a season to put higher. Either one could still put it all together and medal though of course. Lipnitskaia's consistency puts her that high, plus being at home. I need to see Gold show stability at more than one competition to put her higher. Wagner's stock drops bigtime, although she still could medal if she has the competition of her life. Murakami had a very good Nationals, but is a real long shot for a medal at best, although if she duplicated that peformance with no downgrades (very rare for her) and it wasnt a great event, she could sneak in there. Suzuki skating like she does at Nationals would win atleast silver though IMO, as I dont think it will be a real clean event. Mao is the 2nd favorite, but I have a haunting feeling she will wind up right off the podium (I hope not, but just a hunch I am getting of late). Osmond isnt even quite worth naming a wild card, as I really cant see any extreme scenario she medals in this year. Same goes for Li and Edmunds.

Banned
    Eh, I wanted to put Lipnitskaia ahead of Sotnikova and probably should have, but just went with the nationals result. I could easily switch them at 4-5.

I think Wagner is done to be honest, and Kostner is my wild card because she hasn't done anything this season. It's also hard to forget her performance in Vancouver.

I like this set-up HalfTriple and CanadianSkaterGuy used on another thread

This is my take (for what it is worth)

Gold: 4th-8th
    Lipnitskaia: 2nd-7th
    Sotnikova: 3rd-12th
    Li: 7th-12th
    Osmond: 5th-9th
    Edmunds: 9th-12th
    Asada: 1st-4th
    Kostner: 1st-5th
    Kim: 1st-3rd
    Suzuki: 2nd-7th
    Murakami: 4th-8th
    Wagner: 3rd-8th

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I like this set-up HalfTriple and CanadianSkaterGuy used on another thread

This is my take (for what it is worth)

Gold: 4th-8th
    Lipnitskaia: 2nd-7th
    Sotnikova: 3rd-12th
    Li: 7th-12th
    Osmond: 5th-9th
    Edmunds: 9th-12th
    Asada: 1st-4th
    Kostner: 1st-5th
    Kim: 1st-3rd
    Suzuki: 2nd-7th
    Murakami: 4th-8th
    Wagner: 3rd-8th
    Hmm interesting. OK here is mine:

Gold- 2nd to 8th
    Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
    Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
    Li- 8th to 15th
    Osmond- 8th to 14th (wow you were incredibly generous on her IMO)
    Edmunds- 9th to 15th
    Asada- 1st to 5th
    Kostner- 3rd to 7th
    Kim- 1st to 2nd
    Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
    Murakami- 3rd to 8th
    Wagner- 4th to 10th

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    My order as far as favoritsm going in would be:

1. Kim
    2. Asada
    3. Lipnitskaia
    4. Suzuki
    5. Kostner
    6. Sotnikova
    7. Gold

Wagner and Murakami are the wild cards. Sotnikova is too inconsistent to put higher, and Kostner is having too blah a season to put higher. Either one could still put it all together and medal though of course. Lipnitskaia's consistency puts her that high, plus being at home. I need to see Gold show stability at more than one competition to put her higher. Wagner's stock drops bigtime, although she still could medal if she has the competition of her life. Murakami had a very good Nationals, but is a real long shot for a medal at best, although if she duplicated that peformance with no downgrades (very rare for her) and it wasnt a great event, she could sneak in there. Suzuki skating like she does at Nationals would win atleast silver though IMO, as I dont think it will be a real clean event. Mao is the 2nd favorite, but I have a haunting feeling she will wind up right off the podium (I hope not, but just a hunch I am getting of late). Osmond isnt even quite worth naming a wild card, as I really cant see any extreme scenario she medals in this year. Same goes for Li and Edmunds.
    I mostly agree with you except that I would switch Kostner and Suzuki. Kostner hasn't been consistent but so hasn't Suzuki. Suzuki performed well at Japanese Nationals, but looking at the big picture, she hasn't been too consistent, which has affected her PCS mark. On the other hand, Kostner will always receive extremely high PCS marks regardless of whether she performed well or not (65 at the very least but usually 68+).

Banned
    You could be right. I guess I am just swayed by Suzuki having such a spectacular performance lately. While Kostner hasnt had one like that for a long time now, atleast not that I know of. I also think Kostner's adoration by judges is exagerrated. She got alot of respect from judges last 2 years since she was reigning World Champion last season (a title she no longer holds), and the season before set herself up as the one to beat that particular season and was actually the best skater that whole season pretty much. Remember Kostner is the same skater who skated very well and lost to a multiple falls Czisny who bested her on PCS even with those multiple falls at Skate America 2011, with a quite solid skate didnt even medal at the crummy 2010 Worlds that Lepisto won her controversial bronze with 3 triples in, and who skating cleanly was bested by 5 points by Julia in the SP of COR. The judges like Kostner, but they arent gaga over her, and with her inability to ever skate clean competitions even on her good days, her underwhelming season so far, and the number of women stepping up lately, she wont find the quest for her first Olympic medal an easy one, and she is to commended if she somehow pulls it off.

Gold- 2nd to 8th
    Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
    Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
    Li- 8th to 15th
    Edmunds- 9th to 15th
    Asada- 1st to 5th
    Kostner- 3rd to 7th
    Kim- 1st to 2nd
    Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
    Murakami- 3rd to 8th
    Wagner- 4th to 10th
    You're probably right but at the same time placing her at 14th seems a little low to me.

Custom Title
    For the gold medal? Top 5 contenders:

1. Kim
    2. Kim
    3. Kim
    4. Asada
    5. Miscellaneous

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    You're probably right but at the same time placing her at 14th seems a little low to me.
    Well she isnt 100% consistent. Remember her Four Continents competition last year. She had some bad summer outings this year too, albeit when already injured I believe. If she skates bad she could fall well out of the top 10. She isnt the kind of skater who will be held up by the judges if she skates poorly, and it is a deep field. I dont think she will come 14th, that is just the lowest end. Thinking of it more I would give her 6th or 7th as her high end potential result, but no more than that.

Banned

Gold- 2nd to 8th
    Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
    Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
    Li- 8th to 15th
    Edmunds- 9th to 15th
    Asada- 1st to 5th
    Kostner- 3rd to 7th
    Kim- 1st to 2nd
    Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
    Murakami- 3rd to 8th
    Wagner- 4th to 10th
    this is about right

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    For the gold medal? Top 5 contenders:

1. Kim
    2. Kim
    3. Kim
    4. Asada
    5. Miscellaneous
    Mine would be similar to yours. Let me see;

1. Gold
    2. Gold
    3. Gold
    4. Julia
    5. Adelina

Kim & Asada are my wild card... Just because! I have a feeling any of my top five could pull off a BIG SURPRISE in this Olympics. Let's watch and see what happens.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast