Music that should be skated to | Golden Skate

Music that should be skated to

coppertop1

On the Ice
Borrowing from "Skating music you just can't stand" where we discussed music we'd like to see banned.

On the flip side, what are some pieces of music you think skaters should skate to more?

Some of mine:
Dance of the Hours
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no.1, anything that's not no.2, or the second movement in number 2.
Symphonic Dances
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Wild Dances

Some more contemporary music, too.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was just rewatching the 1981 miniseries of Brideshead Revisited. The soundtrack is gorgeously Baroque without being a warhouse. But now I can't remember if anyone has ever skated to it before. Even if so, it would make a lovely change from Vivaldi.

And why doesn't anyone ever look at the work of Corelli--Italian Baroque, gorgeous melodies, certainly not played-to-death.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I was just rewatching the 1981 miniseries of Brideshead Revisited. The soundtrack is gorgeously Baroque without being a warhouse. But now I can't remember if anyone has ever skated to it before. Even if so, it would make a lovely change from Vivaldi.

And why doesn't anyone ever look at the work of Corelli--Italian Baroque, gorgeous melodies, certainly not played-to-death.

I'll have to look that up, also how about music by Salieri. It's very powerful and dynamic, a bit like Beethoven (Salieri tutored Beethoven so there's the influence).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd like to see more Wagner, Bartok, Prokofiev pieces done. Wagner because there is a "broadness" that can be interpreted by a wide range of skaters. Bartok and Prokofiev because they are interesting 20th century composers whose music has quirks that I think could be interpreted well with bodily movement.

Arianne

On the Ice
"What Does the Fox Say." Someone should definitely skate to this next year when vocals are allowed. I'm talking to you, Florent Amodio!

coppertop1

On the Ice
I'm hoping vocals will open up for more selection and Carmen and the Phantom and other tired pieces can retire. There are so many classical music composures, more than Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff. I like when a skater does something new.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
"What Does the Fox Say." Someone should definitely skate to this next year when vocals are allowed. I'm talking to you, Florent Amodio!

Yes, perfect! He has the right personality to pull it off -- I saw him live at TEB and he flies across the ice!

coppertop1

On the Ice
I'm listening to that song now, it's a fun song, I can see him doing it! Only thing is it's a bit short for a free skate, I guess if shortened it could be a short program.

I'd like to see more Wagner, Bartok, Prokofiev pieces done. Wagner because there is a "broadness" that can be interpreted by a wide range of skaters. Bartok and Prokofiev because they are interesting 20th century composers whose music has quirks that I think could be interpreted well with bodily movement.

Now that you mention it, there might be some interesting passages from Prokofiev's Classical Symphony that would make a lovely program. It's modern but accessible, with some delightful rhythms and a lot of varied textures and moods.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'm still waiting for the perfect skater to match up with:
Fantasia on a Theme from Thomas Tallis (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
selections from A London Symphony (also RVW)
Isle of the Dead (Rachmaninoff)

I'm still waiting for the perfect skater to match up with:
Fantasia on a Theme from Thomas Tallis (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
selections from A London Symphony (also RVW)
Isle of the Dead (Rachmaninoff)

The Tallis Fantasia is one of my favorite pieces ever. I just worry that it would have to be cut to ribbons for even a long program. But it has such lovely gliding movement that some kind of exhibition skate would be sublime, especially with an ensemble rather than just an individual skater.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Now that you mention it, there might be some interesting passages from Prokofiev's Classical Symphony that would make a lovely program. It's modern but accessible, with some delightful rhythms and a lot of varied textures and moods.

:thumbsup: Great piece! Seeing all these great suggestions makes me think what a lazy choice it is for coaches and choreographers to have their skaters use music like Carmen.

coppertop1

On the Ice
:thumbsup: Great piece! Seeing all these great suggestions makes me think what a lazy choice it is for coaches and choreographers to have their skaters use music like Carmen.

I agree. I love seeing the variety of music people come up with, seems skating fans know a lot about music. You're right, it really makes me wonder why no one thinks of these. There's tried, tested and true, then there's tired, cliched and overused.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
More sound tracks, more genres, more 21st century stuff ideally. Even take modern American, there are tons of interesting records beside Gershwin. If COP judging reward more for originality, creativity and choreography difficulty, then may be we will get more risk taking programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd like to see a bit more variety in soundtrack choices.

I think Top Gun would make a great program for some of the guys out there - particularly Max, actually, if you opened up with the intro to "Danger Zone", and then segued it into "Top Gun Anthem", with "Memories (Goose's Death)" for the slow section.

And I absolutely LOVED Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for Rush. If nobody uses "For Love" or "My Best Enemy" in the coming seasons then all are fools!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So can I give props to Papadakis/Cizeron for skating to modern music for their FD? I had never heard of Woodkid until I heard their FD, and now I play his music all the time! Which got me thinking to other music in that genre (orchestral/baroque pop?) that would work really well.

It would be fun for someone to skate to selections from Sufjan Stevens' BQE, which is essentially an orchestral score to a movie about the Brooklyn Queens Highway. Here's the first movement, called "In the Countenance of Kings": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05__Fsn_nHs

Or how about Sigur Ros? I would love someone to skate to "Svefn G Englar": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtemrZ7-pj0
Another song that would be great would be "Saeglopur": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84i7zQ_ACnU

Also I'm curious, has anyone ever skated to New Order? I think with the right cuts it would make for a great program.