Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Music that should be skated to

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Great piece! Seeing all these great suggestions makes me think what a lazy choice it is for coaches and choreographers to have their skaters use music like Carmen.
    I agree. I love seeing the variety of music people come up with, seems skating fans know a lot about music. You're right, it really makes me wonder why no one thinks of these. There's tried, tested and true, then there's tired, cliched and overused.

1941 by John Williams

Custom Title
    More sound tracks, more genres, more 21st century stuff ideally. Even take modern American, there are tons of interesting records beside Gershwin. If COP judging reward more for originality, creativity and choreography difficulty, then may be we will get more risk taking programs.

Custom Title
    I'd like to see a bit more variety in soundtrack choices.

I think Top Gun would make a great program for some of the guys out there - particularly Max, actually, if you opened up with the intro to "Danger Zone", and then segued it into "Top Gun Anthem", with "Memories (Goose's Death)" for the slow section.

And I absolutely LOVED Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for Rush. If nobody uses "For Love" or "My Best Enemy" in the coming seasons then all are fools!

skating philosopher
    So can I give props to Papadakis/Cizeron for skating to modern music for their FD? I had never heard of Woodkid until I heard their FD, and now I play his music all the time! Which got me thinking to other music in that genre (orchestral/baroque pop?) that would work really well.

It would be fun for someone to skate to selections from Sufjan Stevens' BQE, which is essentially an orchestral score to a movie about the Brooklyn Queens Highway. Here's the first movement, called "In the Countenance of Kings": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05__Fsn_nHs

Or how about Sigur Ros? I would love someone to skate to "Svefn G Englar": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtemrZ7-pj0
    Another song that would be great would be "Saeglopur": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84i7zQ_ACnU

Also I'm curious, has anyone ever skated to New Order? I think with the right cuts it would make for a great program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    More sound tracks, more genres, more 21st century stuff ideally. Even take modern American, there are tons of interesting records beside Gershwin. If COP judging reward more for originality, creativity and choreography difficulty, then may be we will get more risk taking programs.
    I like this idea, reward creativity. I think skaters usually did classical music because that's traditionally what judges like, at least under the old 6.0 system. However, the COP isn't about what music the judges like better, it's about the skaters and what they do. So, yes let's get some more modern stuff, or some less cliched classical music. Which choreographers would be willing to gamble on modern selections?

Custom Title
    I think in some way choreographers ARE lazy. But you can't just take a recording and skate to it. It has to be mixed, spliced, the right amount of time, etc. In that respect I feel they just use what they've already worked on. But I honestly do feel that anyone using Carmen these days is ridiculous. How many different interpretations can you come up with that are new, fresh and exciting. They've used classical music in the past because it's lyrical and relatively easy to skate to. I also think there is a challenge between interpreting the music and getting all the jumps and spins in to maximum points. If the choreography becomes too overwhelming than something is going to suffer. So using "modern" music and having to maybe hit every beat could be disastrous for someone who has little dance ability (Max?)

I've always liked piano music and there are some great pieces out there that aren't old and hackneyed but lyrical and skateable. (is that a word?)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I'd like to see more Wagner, Bartok, Prokofiev pieces done. Wagner because there is a "broadness" that can be interpreted by a wide range of skaters. Bartok and Prokofiev because they are interesting 20th century composers whose music has quirks that I think could be interpreted well with bodily movement.
    One year(the short hair year) Kwan skated to Bartok´s Miraculous Madarin. It was great.

Custard Title
    Beyond choosing less hackneyed classical pieces, skaters should also skate to video game music. These days, they are no worse than most movie soundtracks and a few are much better. Only issue might be copyright.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I'd like to see a bit more variety in soundtrack choices.

I think Top Gun would make a great program for some of the guys out there - particularly Max, actually, if you opened up with the intro to "Danger Zone", and then segued it into "Top Gun Anthem", with "Memories (Goose's Death)" for the slow section.

And I absolutely LOVED Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for Rush. If nobody uses "For Love" or "My Best Enemy" in the coming seasons then all are fools!
    You know - me too! I haven't seen the movie, but I really love the soundtrack. Actually, wouldn't it be pretty ideal for Max? At least he's got the speed to match the theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-2F...CvYbPp2LPoWZIN

Custom Title
    Joe Hisaishi has done a bunch of great soundtrack music that could be edited into workable programs. Occasionally somebody will do the main themes from Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke but there's plenty more good stuff there. Also....nobody laugh....the original Conan the Barbarian soundtrack by Basil Polidouris has some fabulous pieces on it though nobody seems to know more than Anvil of Crom (for the he-men skaters).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karlowens2 View Post
    One year(the short hair year) Kwan skated to Bartok´s Miraculous Madarin. It was great.
    That was her second LP for the 2001 Grand Prix Final.

Beyond choosing less hackneyed classical pieces, skaters should also skate to video game music. These days, they are no worse than most movie soundtracks and a few are much better. Only issue might be copyright.
    Kevin Reynolds did that in 2012, he skated to Crono Trigger. I had that game on SNES. I thought it was a cool idea and it suited him

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    So can I give props to Papadakis/Cizeron for skating to modern music for their FD? I had never heard of Woodkid until I heard their FD, and now I play his music all the time! Which got me thinking to other music in that genre (orchestral/baroque pop?) that would work really welll.
    My grandson tells me Woodkid is the music in The Assassin's Creed video games.

I would love to see someone skate to Fanfare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZnc8nGUBN8

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    My grandson tells me Woodkid is the music in The Assassin's Creed video games.
    Indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsbMK9Odoc

He (Woodkid, aka Yoann Lemoine) also directed Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WtmW-lfeE

Sorry to be a bit OT guys.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast