Music that should be skated to | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music that should be skated to

coppertop1

On the Ice
More sound tracks, more genres, more 21st century stuff ideally. Even take modern American, there are tons of interesting records beside Gershwin. If COP judging reward more for originality, creativity and choreography difficulty, then may be we will get more risk taking programs.

I like this idea, reward creativity. I think skaters usually did classical music because that's traditionally what judges like, at least under the old 6.0 system. However, the COP isn't about what music the judges like better, it's about the skaters and what they do. So, yes let's get some more modern stuff, or some less cliched classical music. Which choreographers would be willing to gamble on modern selections?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think in some way choreographers ARE lazy. But you can't just take a recording and skate to it. It has to be mixed, spliced, the right amount of time, etc. In that respect I feel they just use what they've already worked on. But I honestly do feel that anyone using Carmen these days is ridiculous. How many different interpretations can you come up with that are new, fresh and exciting. They've used classical music in the past because it's lyrical and relatively easy to skate to. I also think there is a challenge between interpreting the music and getting all the jumps and spins in to maximum points. If the choreography becomes too overwhelming than something is going to suffer. So using "modern" music and having to maybe hit every beat could be disastrous for someone who has little dance ability (Max?)

I've always liked piano music and there are some great pieces out there that aren't old and hackneyed but lyrical and skateable. (is that a word?)

karlowens2

On the Ice
I'd like to see more Wagner, Bartok, Prokofiev pieces done. Wagner because there is a "broadness" that can be interpreted by a wide range of skaters. Bartok and Prokofiev because they are interesting 20th century composers whose music has quirks that I think could be interpreted well with bodily movement.

One year(the short hair year) Kwan skated to Bartok´s Miraculous Madarin. It was great.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Beyond choosing less hackneyed classical pieces, skaters should also skate to video game music. These days, they are no worse than most movie soundtracks and a few are much better. Only issue might be copyright.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'd like to see a bit more variety in soundtrack choices.

I think Top Gun would make a great program for some of the guys out there - particularly Max, actually, if you opened up with the intro to "Danger Zone", and then segued it into "Top Gun Anthem", with "Memories (Goose's Death)" for the slow section.

And I absolutely LOVED Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for Rush. If nobody uses "For Love" or "My Best Enemy" in the coming seasons then all are fools!

You know - me too! I haven't seen the movie, but I really love the soundtrack. Actually, wouldn't it be pretty ideal for Max? At least he's got the speed to match the theme. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-2FeNC4Z4&list=PLFfLy5GaJ4X8nb9yZFtCvYbPp2LPoWZIN

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Joe Hisaishi has done a bunch of great soundtrack music that could be edited into workable programs. Occasionally somebody will do the main themes from Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke but there's plenty more good stuff there. Also....nobody laugh....the original Conan the Barbarian soundtrack by Basil Polidouris has some fabulous pieces on it though nobody seems to know more than Anvil of Crom (for the he-men skaters).

coppertop1

On the Ice
One year(the short hair year) Kwan skated to Bartok´s Miraculous Madarin. It was great.

That was her second LP for the 2001 Grand Prix Final.

Beyond choosing less hackneyed classical pieces, skaters should also skate to video game music. These days, they are no worse than most movie soundtracks and a few are much better. Only issue might be copyright.

Kevin Reynolds did that in 2012, he skated to Crono Trigger. I had that game on SNES. I thought it was a cool idea and it suited him

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So can I give props to Papadakis/Cizeron for skating to modern music for their FD? I had never heard of Woodkid until I heard their FD, and now I play his music all the time! Which got me thinking to other music in that genre (orchestral/baroque pop?) that would work really welll.

My grandson tells me Woodkid is the music in The Assassin's Creed video games.

TCAngel18

Medalist

Yes, It was great! Did you miss my last commentary about it, LOL. My favorite Kwan program, it was so dark. I still say, that program in Salt Lake wins gold.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mentioned it one time on a Jason Brown thread, but I'd really like him to skate to something like "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and the Papas.

I think he'd do great with this cool hippy anthem.

It would be different. It would be memorable. And I think a good choreographer could deliver a great CoP SP with it. The flute solo begs to be choreographed into a step sequence.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I mentioned it one time on a Jason Brown thread, but I'd really like him to skate to something like "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and the Papas.

It would be different. It would be memorable. And I think a good choreographer could deliver a great CoP SP with it. The flute solo begs to be choreographed into a step sequence.

Oh, that would make a great program! He'd totally suit it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

That would be pretty cool!

I just posted a video on his fan thread of Jason skating to Attaboy, a piece by Goat Rodeo, a collaboration between Yo Yo Ma and several bluegrass musicians. It was choreographed by Garrett Kling as part of an entry in the Young Artists Showcase in 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

It would be cool if more people skated to bluegrass (and its variations) because a lot of it is quite good!

And Yo-Yo Ma has been doing some awesome music exploration though The Silk Road Ensemble, which is made up of musicians from around the world. Instead of Scheherazade, why not something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpEjrdf56k

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You know - me too! I haven't seen the movie, but I really love the soundtrack. Actually, wouldn't it be pretty ideal for Max? At least he's got the speed to match the theme. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-2FeNC4Z4&list=PLFfLy5GaJ4X8nb9yZFtCvYbPp2LPoWZIN

Well, there are probably a few different skaters who could do it, because several bits and pieces are slower than others. I think Max would be more suited to "Stopwatch", "Into the Red" and "Watkins Glen", where someone like Jason could probably do "1976", "For Love" and maybe "Inferno", and I think Josh could give us a really beautiful version of "My Best Enemy" (and "Lost But Won").

If you get a chance, do see the movie. I'm a racing nut and I absolutely loved every second of it.

I just posted a video on his fan thread of Jason skating to Attaboy, a piece by Goat Rodeo, a collaboration between Yo Yo Ma and several bluegrass musicians. It was choreographed by Garrett Kling as part of an entry in the Young Artists Showcase in 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

I find this particularly interesting because Jason only does one conventional spin (2:07 - the flying layback) and one conventional jump (2:24, a double Axel). The rest is pure choreography. And he does it well.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to see someone skate to the music from "The King's Speech." That would include the Beethoven music in it (3rd symphony, & another Beethoven piece that is used towards the end of the movie - have to check the liner notes on my copy of the CD).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I find this particularly interesting because Jason only does one conventional spin (2:07 - the flying layback) and one conventional jump (2:24, a double Axel). The rest is pure choreography. And he does it well.

Obviously I agree. I guess you can add bluegrass to the smorgasbord of music genres that Jason has skated to over the years.

Thankfully, the YAS programs didn't have to be COP friendly. :laugh: They are quite fun to watch, the other videos on the YAS YouTube channel are definitely worth checking out.

That said, Garrett Kling choreographed Kiri Baga's SP this year, so he's getting his feet wet doing COP-friendly choreography. The program music, however, is the warhorse also known as Sasha Cohen's Olympic SP, "Dark Eyes." I do think Kiri makes a good effort skating to the music and there are some nice choreographic touches.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker

Agreed. Anyone who decided to skate to Zelda would be epic. This 4:30 orchestral version would be epic for any discipline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEyzxJ4NGI

And Liberi Fatali from Final Fantasy VIII was almost made for Davis & White. I can just imagine the speed and nuanced choreography they could pull off with this. It would be spine-tingling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd9krEsr-k