Serious nutrition question for high performance athletes | Golden Skate

Serious nutrition question for high performance athletes

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I guess I'll ask something. What do skaters eat? I know a lot of endurance athletes like swimmers and tennis players eat high caloric diets because they burn it all off. However, I think skaters would too but I imagine that, particularly for the women, there is a concern about growing in the wrong places (i.e. hips).

SGrand

Final Flight
I think everyone is different and their bodies all react differently to diet changes. It's best to see a nutritionist (even a holistic nutritionist and naturopath) to find the best way to eat for their bodies and their sports and weed out any allergies etc. That said, didn't Bolt eat McDonalds chicken nuggets before cruising to the gold medal in the 100m??? Hahahaha! Genetics plays a part too obviously. But there should be a healthy ratio of protein/good carbs/fat. Some athletes are very strict and some are more lax.
Meant to add too that they should see a professional sports nutritionist as they are very well versed in the fuel ones body needs for different sports.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sort of on topic for this thread:

Chowing Down In Sochi

Excerpt:

... A little known fact, however, is that almost an entire year goes into making sure Team USA athletes receive the proper nutrition at the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

... Susie Parker-Simmons, senior sports dietician with the United States Olympic Committee explained the process:
“There’s a careful balance between preparing foods that fit into the new culture where Team USA is competing and making sure they have access to foods they are accustomed to eating when training. Months and months of planning go into sourcing all of the appropriate food items — certain products took four months to clear Russian agriculture. The only food that we can put on the ships is food that has already cleared the system. We can’t risk having athletes or coaches put personal food on the ship because then we run the potential of being stopped and losing all of the items we are bringing over to the Games as part of that one order.”
Russia does not allow the import of genetically modified organisms so it is advised that athletes do their research to find out what will be available and plan ahead of time to bring the types of recovery products they will need if they are not on the pre-approved list. ...

... Team USA athletes will have access to their own staff of sports dieticians and chefs to offer guidance throughout Sochi 2014. For the first time in 2012, Team USA had access to recovery stations located throughout the Olympic Village. Due to the overwhelming success of these stations in London, Team USA will once again have access to these areas to refuel with nuts, oatmeal, sports drinks and more. In addition to the recovery stations, there will be sport-specific menus prepared as well.

While months and months of planning go into preparing the Olympic menu and shipping Team USA’s products, an equal amount of preparation and guidance happens before the athletes depart for Sochi. The two biggest pieces of advice that athletes receive are to: 1) boost your immune system, and 2) say ‘yes’ to carbohydrates.

[The article includes:
- a recipe for Russian borscht
- a recipe for an immune booster containing fresh ginger, garlic, kale, cucumber, celery, carrot, beet, grapefruit, blackberries, mint, and cayenne pepper. :)
- a sample list of offerings on Team USA's menus for lunch and dinner, incl. some multicultural dishes, such as pad thai, and soba noodles.]​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Christ, if customs is that strict, if Joshua Farris gets on the team is he going to be okay? The last thing anyone'd want would be to have Josh's Olympic Dream spoiled by his anaphylaxis!