Snappy/Sappy Lessons & Practices, 4/21-4/27/03 | Golden Skate

Snappy/Sappy Lessons & Practices, 4/21-4/27/03

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Snappy/Sappy Lessons & Practices, 4/21-4/27/03

Sappy: Kept hitting my left toepick at some point in my two foot spin this weekend, so I was determined to find the problem this morning with coach.

Snappy: Found the problem--I seem to slightly lean right after I get the spin started, (I'm a CCW) and that is enough shift to catch my left toepick and slow down the spin. Once we corrected that, the spin went much more swimmingly (well, spinningly!!!) :p

We also got the right toepick scrape out of my push for a left forward stroke, and improved crossovers, taking the back ones to the next level with less obvious pushing and more bringing together of the feet. She actually pronounced my back crossovers better than the forward ones!! (Call the Pope, I do believe that's a certifiable miracle...) :rollin:

Worked on even more improvements to waltz jump and half flip out of mohawk, including the three in a row sequence in my footwork program. Finessing, finessing, finessing, that's the name of the game here in the final month before competition. Thursday, I'll be back in the harness for some work on toeloop, salchow and combos. Then its three weeks of heavy runthroughs on all my programs and elements. I'm really enjoying this, and I'm a totally different and better skater than I was a month ago. It has been worth every stroke, and would be even without the upcoming competition.

Happy skating, everyone!!!:cool:

S

starshinexavier

Re: Snappy/Sappy Lessons & Practices, 4/21-4/27/03

Snappy: My axels were really good today. I got decent height on them and jumped quite far. I can still do 2 sals and 2 loops after not doing them for a month and a half. Woo Hoo! My coach also said that my interpretive has gotten better since she last saw it, and she loves my facial expressions in it. I also helped a friend develop better technique on her 2 toe, even though I don't do them.

Sappy: I could not spin to save my life! The only good spin I could sort-of do was a sit. My camels, flying salchows(that's how good my flying camels are;) ) and backspins were horrid. My 2 flips were pretty bad. I keep dropping my right side, which makes me land them on 2 feet, giving me what I call Jennifer Robinson Syndrom (JRS for short). To top it off, the session was soooo busy too, and I'm at a different club. Grr.......I hope next week is better.

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Sappy: Me--just plain exhausted. I'm taking a break from work for a few days to just relax, so that will help.

Snappy: Worked more on jumps in and out of harness. Worked on getting waltz jump even bigger and taking salchow to the next level. Now, instead of looking "spinny," I'm getting a longer entrance edge into the 3 turn, a longer back edge and therefore a stronger jump entrance (and exit too). Even tried some out of back crossovers out of the harness and did OK. Progress!

C

Cinderella On Ice

<strong>Yazmeen</strong> - great progress! You go, girl.

<strong>Starshinexavier</strong> - don't you just hate when you lose a whole part of your repetoire? I have days like that too--where I can't spin or I can't jump. How exciting though about your doubles. I'm going to start working on mine this summer, and I'm wondering if they'll come back (after 30 years! :eek: )

Sappy: I need some major work on my left back outer bracket. For some reason, I'm rotating my shoulders to the right, pulling me out of the bracket before I can complete the turn. It's totally wild, because I don't have a problem with any of the other brackets.

Snappy: My spins were so on today! My coach was so pleased with my camel that she immediately had me switch to doing camel/sit/back sit. The back sit still needs some work, but it is really coming along. My reverse scratch spin was also good, with much more consistency. The whole lesson and practice made me feel so good about skating!

S

starshinexavier

Cinderella, I DO hate it when I can't do things for one reason or another. I blame it on that session being crowded and the fact that we were skating on ice that was SO HARD!

I think you'll be able to get those doubles back. It'll take tons of hard work, but I have faith in you. Don't give up on those brackets either. Make sure you keep your shoulders square with your hips when you do them. It'll keep you balanced over your blade really well. Keep up the good work with the spins too! Great job!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Starshinexavier - Thank you so much for your tip about the brackets. I gave a lot of time to the left outer today, practicing what you said about the shoulders while I kept to the hockey circle; first on two feet, then on one. Then I put it back into the Gold Move and it was much improved!

Snappy: My hubby surprised me today and arrived at practice with the video camera. So he got several good axels on video and now I can watch them and see how I'm doing and what I need to improve. But the best one I did at practice we watched right away. I'm not bragging, but it was awesome, for me! I couldn't believe I was actually watching ME doing it, as it was high and my position was good. I also felt good about my camel spins and flying camel spins.

Sappy: For some reason, I was sticking my butt out on my reverse scratch spin and throwing myself off balance. Maybe my butt is just too big? :lol: However, when I came out of the flying camels, it was o.k. Also, I've been under a lot of stress at work, so I was a little tired and not as peppy on my lutzes. But overall, everything was good and practice was fun!

S

starshinexavier

Cinderella, I am here to help! I really wanna be a skating coach, so if you have any problems, I'll do my best to help. Girls on my sessions constantly come up to me asking for help with their jumps and spins. Some sessions I'm helping more than skating.

When you're doing your reverse scratch spin, think tall and tight. Squeeze every muscle as tight as you can. This might help with keeping you from bending over. Once again, keep your shoulders square with your hips. Wait until you're centred before you pull in too. Keep up the GREAT WORK!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Slightly OT

<strong>Starshinexavier</strong> - That's cool about wanting to coach. Tell me more about your skating background, where you are in life right now, and how you might go about making your dream to coach come true. Do you enjoy it as much/same/more than skating itself? I admire good coaches. I mentioned in another post that I spent a weekend with Kathy Casey. She was awesome. She had all these techniques up her sleeve, and every time someone would have a question, she'd have something they could try to get better. The only time I saw her stumped was when someone asked if there was a way they could use their ankles more, and she basically just said "no, sorry." She used simple diagrams and practice exercises to great effect.

I think one of the most important things about being a good coach is the ability to see what's wrong. Frankly, I am not so good at that. My powers of observation (and my memory) would not lend themselves well to coaching. Not to mention the fact that I want to be the one with the blades on! :lol:

S

starshinexavier

Re: Slightly OT

Well, I've been skating for 13 years. I'll be entering my 14th year in the fall. I've done singles, dance(tests only), skills(like MITF), interpretives, and synchro at both recreational and competitive levels.
With coaching, I've only got 1 of the 3 parts needed to begin coaching. I've passed theory, and I still have Technical and Practical to finish, but once you're done Technical, you are a real coach. I like helping people and seeing skaters succeed, so I guess that's why I want to coach. Plus the $$$ ain't bad either. I like being able to skate for myself better, but I know that I'm never going to be good enough to be an elite skater, so why not be an elite coach?
If you have any problems with your skating, post them here and I'll see if I can help out. After all, I need practice!