What Is Your Philosophy of Skating? | Golden Skate

What Is Your Philosophy of Skating?

Don't be intimidated. This is not a term paper assignment, lol. I'm just curious as to what people think is most important about skating. why they love it, why they think it's an important sport (if they do), things like that.

I like skating because I love movement. That's the first thing I look at in a skater, the way s/he moves--the flow of the body over the ice, the deep soft bend of the knees, speed, upper body expansiveness and expressivity. Of course a lot of the effectiveness of the movement across the ice comes from edging, but I'm not one to look at edging on first viewing. I like getting the whole effect first, the way the skater expresses the music, the way the skater expresses himself. I don't even pay much attention to which jumps they hit on first viewing, just whether or not they fall. I want to be spellbound when I first watch a program, even if I've seen the program several times before. After that, I'll look at the tape for the technical side--did they use the right edging on their jumps, was the edging deep, were the spins centered, etc. At a live event, there's nothing I hate more than somebody next to me giving a running commentary, ie, "She flutzed that, did you see it? Obvious flutz. And that spin wasn't very well centered. She prerotated that." I know a lot of people want to look at the technical things as they happen, but keep them to yourself, please!

Most important is how a skater makes me feel and for me that comes through the movement. This is of course the most subjective thing. I've seen some great skaters whom I know are great but who I just don't connect with. I enjoy them, but it's not like watching a skater I feel a special affinity with, even if they're technically not as good as the other. I love it best, however, when skaters with two distinct styles both affect me equally. This happened to me with G&G and Mishkutenok&Dmitriev at the Olympics pairs free skate in '94. G&G were pure and clean, like beautifully simple but very moving archecture. M&D were blood-red Russian passion. They didn't have G&G's technique, but they were skating their hearts out and way out on the edge, so to speak. I love them both. As a judge, I agreed that G&G deserved the gold, but it was wonderful to see two opposing styles expressed so beautifully by such powerful skaters. Plus there was the spunk and panache of Brasseure&Eisler. That's my idea of a great competition.

Those are just some thoughts. What do others look for in skating?
Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great thread.........I am interested in movement, that feeling of "flight", if you will. Edging, musical interpretation, and flow over the ice is key. I could care less how many triple jumps are performed. To me, double jumps blend into skating choreography more seamlessly than the triples......Dorothy Hamil had and still has the best edging and lean of the body in the business.... 42

mpal2

Final Flight
The first thing I ever look for is how much a skater appears to love what they are doing. I can ignore the intense moment right before a jump if they look like they are loving everything else. Those jumps are hard. I don't get into a skater's performance if they are look like they are concentrating too hard.

One good example of such a skater would be Dan Fang. She may not have hit top 10 at 2003 Worlds but I loved her instantly. She made me want to join her on the ice.

The opposite example would be Laura Handy. I almost feel like she should be on a suicide watch when she's out on the ice. I rarely get anything from her performance. Her short program at Nationals was the exception. She proved she can smile so it was hard to see her expression change when they placed below Don & Hunt. (Speaking of Jenny Don...I LOVE her!!) On that day I could have justified placing them above Don & Hunt.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
What I love most about FS is that it's the perfect and unique marriage of sport and art. One can thrill at the technical prowess one minute, and marvel at the expression with in a hand movement the next. It's great.

I enjoy a lot of various things about FS, but what I love the most is when I can get lost or transfixed by a performence. Peggy expressed this best at the end of Lulu's 96 LP: "It's like she lead us through a dream." :love:

nymkfan51

Medalist
This is a great thread! For me, a few of you have already hit on some of my feelings. BS ... you are so right in that skating is the perfect blend between art and sport. I love the jumps, but I don't want to see all the focus go on who can land what. I absolutely adore Dorothy Hamill ... I could just watch her skate around and around the arena, and wouldn't give a rat's hoot if she ever did a jump!
And, I loved to be emotionally moved when watching skating. That is why I have always loved Michelle ... yes, her programs have not always been the most difficult technically, but she takes me on that journey, as Peggy would say.

And Rgirl ... amen to just enjoying the performance ... there will always be time later to pick it apart! :laugh:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"She flutzed that, did you see it? Obvious flutz. And that spin wasn't very well centered. She prerotated that."
:laugh: Do people really talk that way about skaters they like, or are they just trying to rip apart the ones they don't?

If someone does something special (Miki's 4 Sal or Cupcake's 3z/3t, I lean over and tell MBG what it was, as he's clueless when it comes to jumps, but I don't think that I do it loud enough to disturb the person on my other side. At least I hope I don't. :eek:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I love skating because it has all the physical elements that I love-dance,music,flow,freedom,speed,power,
flight,spinning,softness,power,etc,etc,etc.
When you put on a pair of skates, gravity ceases to exsists and makes certain movements possible that are not possible on solid ground.

When I look at a skater I enjoy watching the ones that look and feel like they are enjoying what they do, not just going through the motions. I want to see "complete packages" where everthing about skating, jumps,spins,edges,flow, come together in a performace. I want the skater to become one with the music and ice.

I'm not exactly sure if I have a "philosophy" of skating, but I'll throw in my two cents worth about these three questions, in reverse order.

I'm just curious as to what people think is most important about skating. why they love it, why they think it's an important sport (if they do).
3. Sports and entertainment are important because they keep us from getting too crabby or depressed. Figure skating is the best sport for this purpose, so I guess I would say that it is the most important sport of all.

2. As to why I like it, I can only echo what everyone else has said. When you watch figure skating you can always hope that you are going to see a performance that will transport you to a new world, and a better one.

Rudi Galindo, 1996 U.S. Nationals
Michelle Kwan, Rachmaninov SP, 1998 Good Will Games
Michelle Kwan, East of Eden, 1998 World Pro
Sale and Pelletier, Love Story, 1999 Skate America
Michelle Kwan, Red Violin, 1999 Worlds exhibition
Michelle Kwan, The Feeling Begins and Aranjuez, 2003 Worlds
Shen and Zhao, Turandot, 2003 Worlds
Michelle Kwan, Tosca, 2004 U.S. Nationals

1. What is most important about skating? Would I be an uncouth barbarian if I admit that I like the jumps? That gliding incoming edge, the quick look-back over her shoulder, the powerful launch into the air, now snap around bing, bing, bing, soft knee, soft knee, outflowing edge -- that's just a thing of beauty to me. Then the best moment of all, when she hits that last tough element -- perfection! -- and she breaks into a big smile, knowing she has skated well, knowing she has won, just throw up a split jump and a final pose -- that's just heaven!

Mathman

shine

Record Breaker
Great thread! I think recently FS has become more of an art than it is a sport for me, and all the great techniques are just a fundation that enables the skaters to perfect their art. I agree about movement. I find myself drawn to a skater if they do a certain move, or a gesture that exactly emphasizes/expresses what I feel about the music in a natural way. They are musically sensitive so to speak. Skaters who can continue this musicality throughout the entire performance are exceptional. I love skaters who can use their entire body to express/emote in an unforced way (not just facial drama or abrupt moves like pumping their arms or stomping the ice), and often a supple, soft upper body and arms help. Choreography is also important because good choreography enables musical skaters to use their ability to the max and doesn't let one single nuance in the music be missed.
Ease of movemnt is also very important. Natural movers usually master this aspect of presentation. And there's edging. Butter-like smoothh edge creates a feeling that the skater is simply sailing across the ice which adds to their ease of movement. Skaters who have everything mentioned above combined will catch my eyes immediately.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'll agree with Shine and say that skating has become more of an art in my mind. Initially, I viewed figure skating more as a sport. It took me some time to learn element names, proper execution, etc. Now that I am more than sufficiently accustomed to everything, I've found that my "philosophy" of skating and my motivation for watching has changed. I don't just watch the Worlds and Olympics anymore...I want to see a skater progress through the entire season. I love that a program can strike me as mediocre and uninspiring in October...and that only a few months later the same routine can reduce me to tears and leave me speechless.

Examples:
1. Michelle's "Aranjuez": Compare 2002 Skate America and 2003
U.S. Nationals.
2. Michelle's "SOTBS": Compare 2000 Skate Canada and 2001 Worlds.
3. Tara's "Rainbow": Compare 1997 Skate America and 1998 Olympics.

And so many more....

It is always interesting to me to see all of the psychological elements play out. How will Skater A react to the weight of the moment? Will Skater A be able to generate positive energy and
emotional stability in the face of mammoth pressure? It is such a joy to see skaters seize the moment. I definitely agree with everyone that has stated that movement, choreography, emotion, etc. are all vital elements of skating, but so is stress management and unflinching mental stamina. That is an art I am still trying to perfect! I respect anyone that can thrive under scrutiny and put forth the best they have to offer. So, I guess I love when the ordinary can become extraordinary....when the underdog finally taps into that hidden reserve and soars above expectations. I've become an "Inspired Moments" junky!

P.S. Shhh, Mathman! I like the jumps, too!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I love figure skating, period (no lie)! :love:

But the question(s) you pose, Rgirl, are so very complicated (at least for me). Hmmm, why do I love f.s.??? :confused:

In order for me to somehow try to explain why I love f.s., well I guess I have to start with the beginning.......meaning going all the way back to 1976........and watching Dorothy Hamill for the very first time @ the 1976 Olympics on t.v. Ah, what memories, this pretty girl all dressed up in red and looking so lovely gliding across the ice with such a huge smile on her face that it made me want to skate too! I was hooked, and even allowed my mother to take me to the hairdresser & get a "Dorothy Hamill" wedge haircut (lol).

So, yes, the aforementioned was the beginning.........then continued on over the years with Worlds & Olympics only.........as those were the only ones I recall viewing in those days. Hmmm, funny, can't really recall 1980 though. However, 1984 was thee BIG THING ~ hometown girl Rosalynn Sumners was skating ~ and the excitement surrounding her @ the Olympics was HUGE (no lie, never before or since have I seen something like that in Seattle as regards skating)! :eek: She looked like such a lovely little sprite (ala Sonja Henie) out there on the ice. Yet, though I was pulling for Rosalynn to win, I was so mesmerized by Katarina Witt's beauty (she looked exactly like Brooke Shields, whom was a big thing in those days) that I honestly didn't mind her winning. Not only that, but as I felt the Russians (& to some extent the Europeans) were the true masters of gymnastics (btw I was an even bigger fan of gymnastics than f.s. at that time), I somehow felt it was right that they win in f.s. too. Please remember, people, that I was very young & backward in my thinking *embarrassed*. Anyhow, this line of thinking continued on to the 1988 Olympics.

***Note: in retrospect, I really think that Katarina Witt's beauty helped her A LOT, just as I think it does any good-looking person in real life. Society elevates the physically beautiful, and I think subconsciously wants the beautiful one to win, especially when not really knowing anything about either competitor beforehand. JMHO.***

Back on topic.......and to answer the original question that was posed.........I now have to honestly say that what first drew me in, as a child, was Dorothy Hamill and the joy that she radiated on the ice. Later on, in my teens, it was the physical beauty (& passion) of someone like Katarina Witt. And then, in my early 20s, it was the athleticism of such athletes as Debi Thomas, Midori Ito, & Tonya Harding.

***Note: hmmm, looking back, it seems that the way I viewed skating was related to my growth as a human being, especially as my next paragraphs will prove.***

Finally, and this ONE needs a separate paragraph all her own, I had an epiphany when I first set eyes on Oksana Baiul @ 1993 Worlds.......something that had never happened to me before or since (no lie, though some have come close)........this ONE pulled at my heartstrings, made me cry, made me laugh with joy, made me dance, but most importantly of all made me feel. Oh, how to describe the way I felt when she skated........like I was enchanted/entranced when she skated to that medley of American melodies........but when she skated to "The Dying Swan" by Camille Saint-Saens, ahhhh, I truly felt touched by something heavenly/otherworldly (dare I say it, by God, no lie). No more need be said. Honestly.....except for one more thing......it has NEVER stopped with Oksana & her skating (it continues on to this day, no lie).

***Note: special mention needs to be said of Sonja Henie.....her old films, along with Dorothy Hamill, drew me in first & foremost (still recall getting up early on Saturday mornings to watch old Sonja movies).....they made me love the history of the sport, but especially love Sonja most of all (no lie). And that love of Sonja & the history of skating has also NEVER stopped.***

Now let us fast forward to 1999 US Nationals.......when I first laid eyes on Sarah Hughes.........ah, she had EVERYTHING that I came to love about skating (aka joy, beauty, jumps, feeling, body, movement, presence, power). And I'm sure I left out another dozen adjectives. She had it all. Ah, I sure do miss her & her skating... :cry:

In conclusion, there are so many things that I love about skating it's hard to categorize each & every one & put them in little boxes........it's about the whole picture, man........the history of Sonja Henie (& Charlotte Oeschlagel), the joy of Dorothy Hamill, the athleticism & power of someone like Midori Ito (reminiscent of my man Mike Tyson, whom I love, no lie), the physical beauty of someone like Katarina Witt (or now Sasha Cohen), the tears/joy/feeling/artistry of Oksana Baiul, and the overall aesthetic beauty of Sarah Hughes. It's just an alchemy of intangible things that speaks to the heart (or mind) of the viewer. JMHO.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Lovely topic of discussion, Rgirl (two thumbs up). :)

MODIFIED TO ADD the one whom started it all (along w/Sonja Henie btw): http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1075995507152_0000dorothy.jpg

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
For me, it is mainly how a skater makes me feel. Sasha Cohen, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Yagudin, Anissina & Peizerat -- those are example of skaters that produce an emotional response in me. Technique, jumps, etc. all contribute to that emotional response.

Sometimes, I enjoy young skaters just being out there and having fun. Tara L. and Timothy G. come to mind. While neither one is my favorite, some of their performances are pure joy.

OTOH, I also enjoy it as a sport. Once I have a favorite, I follow his/her/their progress through different competitions; I get upset if they loose, and happy if they win. Certainly this competitiveness is a part of what I enjoy in FS.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Rgirl:

I don't really have a "philosophy" of skating, I just love doing it. From the first time I stepped on to the Ice, it became my passion.

Skating out of doors was the best. Although, I did belong to a club and skated in the rink; there was something rejuvinating about putting my skates on and gliding over a frozen pond or the rink my dad made in our back yard in Prince George. It's such a feeling of freedom.

Although, I enjoy watching the elite skate, still there is nothing like taking to the ice myself. I still get that wonderful feeling I always did when I am out on the rink. It takes me back, and I feel like a kid again.

Even though executing figures seemed tedious to me all those years ago; I now enjoy them and understand their purpose better.

Figure skating is a wonderful sport for people of all ages.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Rgirl:

I don't really have a "philosophy" of skating, I just love doing it. From the first time I stepped on to the Ice, it became my passion.

Skating out of doors was the best. Although, I did belong to a club and skated in the rink; there was something rejuvinating about putting my skates on and gliding over a frozen pond or the rink my dad made in our back yard in Prince George. It's such a feeling of freedom.

Although, I enjoy watching the elite skate, still there is nothing like taking to the ice myself. I still get that wonderful feeling I always did when I am out on the rink. It takes me back, and I feel like a kid again.

Even though executing figures seemed tedious to me all those years ago; I now enjoy them and understand their purpose better.

Figure skating is a wonderful sport for people of all ages.

Loved reading your above quote Ladskater! :love:

This reminds me of how I feel about rollerskating & skateboarding.......both sports my family could afford at the time......and as a result, I was able to personally participate in (no lie). Though I had to share my first skateboard with my big brother.......parents couldn't afford more than one b/c of us five kids (i.e. two older brothers & two older sisters; five of us in total including myself).......but I'll never forget that baby blue board as long as I live nor those old-fashioned second hand roller skates that I acquired at age 4 (used to skate w/my best friend whom lived down the street). Ah, those were the days... :love:

Peace & Love, Nadine

"The years go by....but moments never really slip away.....they only grow more precious." - Oksana Baiul

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
Nice topic, Rgirl. I think the things that are most important about figure skating is that skaters endeavor to bring art and sport together. I love skaters that understand that a jump is not just an athletic element, but also can be beautiful and tie into their choreography. Who take the time to complete all the movements in their programs as points of interest and connect them seamlessly. Some skaters that I've seen accomplish this include: Chen Lu, Yuka Sato, Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Mishketunok & Dmitriev, Torvill & Dean, Anissina & Peizerat, Paul Wylie, Ryan Jahnke, and Jeffrey Buttle. I think that a skating fan will always have to live with subjectivity, and I can within reason, because we do want figure skating to be take seriously. Although, I've been thinking that figure skating gets criticism for biased/bad judging when the same happens in basketball, football, etc. and can cost teams games as well. In the end, I watch figure skating to see everything: the jumps, the spins, the MITF, the footwork. It's not figure jumping and yet it's not dance (which is the closest comparison I can make), but it's a unique fusion of the two. That said I'm going to borrow a phrase from Uncle Dick: I take my hat off to the following choreographers: Chris Dean, Lori Nickol, Tom Dickson, David Wilson, and any others I'm not thinking of who have that vision of combining art and sport.

I was about to write that this is one topic where nobody can disagree with you, because whatever you feel about skating is just as legitimate as what anybody else feels. But I thought if I wrote that I'd jinx the thread and somebody would find a way to disagree with somebody about something, lol.

BTW, I could have just as easily entitled this thread "Why Do You Love Skating?" as "What's Your Philosophy of Skating?" Just wanted to leave room for both feelings and analysis, so that's all "philosopphy" means. Anyway, I am really enjoying reading everyone's posts and hope others will contribute.

Nadine,
I first saw Oksana at '93 Worlds too and while I was impressed by her, I wasn't sure if she was a fluke or what. Also, in '93 her skating and the way she moved were still on the coltish side, plus all I saw her do was her LP, the "Broadway Medley" one. When I saw her at COI, I was again intrigued but still wasn't sure of her potential. However, by the '94 Olympics, she had gained five years' worth of grace and flow in less than a year. And what really blew me out of the water was her "Swan Lake" SP (yes, the very warhorse I've been kvetching about, lol), especially the circular footwork sequence and her spins, and "The Dying Swan" exhibition.

When it came time to see COI that year, I was sick but I told myself, "No way am I missing seeing Oksana Baiul in person at this moment in her life." I honestly thought she was too good to be true and had a gut feeling something would happen. Of course I know she had technical problems the night of the Olympic LP--two-footing a couple of her jumps, no combo except for the 2Axel/2t thrown in at the end, all the things people have complained about--but I didn't care because she moved me. And this is NOT a thread about who should have won the '94 Olympics:)

So I drag myself and a friend down to Madison Square Garden, feeling like dog barf and we didn't even have particularly good seats. All through the show we could hear people around us asking each other, "Is that the girl who got whacked in the knee?" So obviously a lot of people had come to see Nancy Kerrigan. The order of the last three skaters was Nancy, Brian Boitano, and Oksana. After Nancy skater, I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience started leaving. Just filed out during Brian Boitano's program, which I bet made him feel great and which I also bet happened in most cities. So my friend and I took the opportunity to move down to on-ice VIP seats, center ice. To see Oksana skate "The Dying Swan" from that vantage point was one of the great artistic experiences of my life. There was something absolutely transcendant about Oksana at 16 that made her seem as if she were defying the laws of us other mere mortals. Plus to have her skate past us so close you could feel the breeze created by her speed--still have never seen a faster female skater--well, I just don't have the words, except to say that I felt like I was witnessing something truly special that night, a once-a-millenium comet. Even the friend I went with, who wasn't much into skating, was speechless after "The Dying Swan."

The next year Oksana did "Meditation by Thais" and while both the program and Oksana were gorgeous, already the innocence of "The Swan" was no longer there. Don't get me wrong, I loved Oksana's performances after '94 and even though I was heartbroken to see her struggles in '97 and '98, there was still a glimmer of that young girl I'd first seen.

Anyway, I feel so very privileged to have seen Oksana perform "The Dying Swan" during that brief window in time when all the planets aligned for her. She was a vision to behold with both eyes and heart that was one of a kind, one that I'll never forget.
Rgirl

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
What I love about figure skating boils down to one thing. FLOW. I just love skaters who just effortlessly glide across the ice. Something about it just takes my breath away.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
The thrill of Victory

but the original post mentioned the 94 pairs medalists. While I love all 3 pairs mentioned, Sergei made a mistake so G&G were not as flawless as they usually are. I would have chosen Brasseur and Eisler for Gold that year. When I saw them live competing with Artur and Oksana they were still the best and most thrilling. They are always exciting, and that excitement of a great program well skated is thrilling. I still remember my response to Oksana's SP at the Olympics. Otherworldly, or the sheer excitement of watching skaters bring it all together at the big moments. Paul Wylie, Rudy Galindo, G&G, Dorothy just gliding, Kats command of the ice. When someopne skates the performance of a lifetime, and the electricity comes at you. I think of Sarah's Oly LP, Nancy's LP. The grace of Lu Chen and her humble bow to her coaches at Nagano. Watching Yagudin performing "Winter" and loving it every time. Brian Orser's Oly LP.
Tara's victory dance and screamfest in the Kiss n Cry. Michelle's first gold medal at Worlds in 1996.

I think the skaters and the coaches have developed a 'philosopy'
about skating as they live it daily. Me? I just love to be surprised and thrilled at the truly one of a kind performances experienced over years of watching.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Loved reading your post, Rgirl (no lie), :love:

As regards the general title of your thread, I have no philosophy of skating.....there's really no one thing or things I look for in skating.....rather it's the whole picture, not just the jumps, the spins, the whatever. I just love it & know what moves me. Thus, I chose to focus on that, the "intangibles"......things that cannot be seen or even heard.......but what must be felt with the heart. Because that's really who I am. Btw, I loved recalling those poignant memories ~ Thank You. :)

Rgirl said:

Nadine,
I first saw Oksana at '93 Worlds too and while I was impressed by her, I wasn't sure if she was a fluke or what. Also, in '93 her skating and the way she moved were still on the coltish side, plus all I saw her do was her LP, the "Broadway Medley" one. When I saw her at COI, I was again intrigued but still wasn't sure of her potential. However, by the '94 Olympics, she had gained five years' worth of grace and flow in less than a year. And what really blew me out of the water was her "Swan Lake" SP (yes, the very warhorse I've been kvetching about, lol), especially the circular footwork sequence and her spins, and "The Dying Swan" exhibition.

When it came time to see COI that year, I was sick but I told myself, "No way am I missing seeing Oksana Baiul in person at this moment in her life." I honestly thought she was too good to be true and had a gut feeling something would happen. Of course I know she had technical problems the night of the Olympic LP--two-footing a couple of her jumps, no combo except for the 2Axel/2t thrown in at the end, all the things people have complained about--but I didn't care because she moved me. And this is NOT a thread about who should have won the '94 Olympics:)

So I drag myself and a friend down to Madison Square Garden, feeling like dog barf and we didn't even have particularly good seats. All through the show we could hear people around us asking each other, "Is that the girl who got whacked in the knee?" So obviously a lot of people had come to see Nancy Kerrigan. The order of the last three skaters was Nancy, Brian Boitano, and Oksana. After Nancy skater, I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience started leaving. Just filed out during Brian Boitano's program, which I bet made him feel great and which I also bet happened in most cities. So my friend and I took the opportunity to move down to on-ice VIP seats, center ice. To see Oksana skate "The Dying Swan" from that vantage point was one of the great artistic experiences of my life. There was something absolutely transcendant about Oksana at 16 that made her seem as if she were defying the laws of us other mere mortals. Plus to have her skate past us so close you could feel the breeze created by her speed--still have never seen a faster female skater--well, I just don't have the words, except to say that I felt like I was witnessing something truly special that night, a once-a-millenium comet. Even the friend I went with, who wasn't much into skating, was speechless after "The Dying Swan."

The next year Oksana did "Meditation by Thais" and while both the program and Oksana were gorgeous, already the innocence of "The Swan" was no longer there. Don't get me wrong, I loved Oksana's performances after '94 and even though I was heartbroken to see her struggles in '97 and '98, there was still a glimmer of that young girl I'd first seen.

Anyway, I feel so very privileged to have seen Oksana perform "The Dying Swan" during that brief window in time when all the planets aligned for her. She was a vision to behold with both eyes and heart that was one of a kind, one that I'll never forget.

Since you were so kind to share your experience, thoughts, & feelings of Oksana with me (btw thank you from the bottom of my heart, no lie), I, in turn, would like to share one in particular with you. :)

IIRC, it was the Fall of 2000 at a pro-am f.s. competition......such skaters as Sasha Cohen, Michelle, Kwan, Jennifer Kirk, & Deanna Stellato were there......however, unfortunately, Sarah Hughes had to withdraw at the last minute. :( But the biggest reason I was going was b/c of Oksana Baiul, whom was going to be skating an exhibition (likewise Nancy Kerrigan). :)^)

The anticipation of seeing Oksana in a setting where there were bright lights (no spotlight) was high for me. And as I was sitting literally right next to the K&C area, I couldn't keep my eyes off all the things that were going on (8^o. Then next thing you know, there she was.....btw at first I thought she was Sasha Cohen (lol, no lie)......b/c I only got a glimpse of her from the side. And, oh my, was she bigger than life.....tall, regal, thin, statuesque (reminiscent of one of the Romanovs, whom I adore)......standing there, at the very tip of the ice, resembling none other than a large-eyed doe (aka Bambi, ready to flee). Then she turned, smiled tentatively, and was gone. :eek: ***Note: this was before the competition began.***

Now it's half-time, and the announcer says "we have two special guests with us this evening"........and my adrenaline went up about a mile (lol).........and I looked to my left & there was Nancy Kerrigan, whom is even more gorgeous in real life than on t.v. (no lie). She was dressed in an elegant black costume, smiling graciously the whole time, and came out and skated her exhibition. However, it was hard for me to concentrate b/c I was waiting anxiously for Oksana, whom came out, to stand by the entrance to the ice, just as Nancy's program ended. Once again, Oksana exuded this presence........even moreso due to the enigmatic brown robe she wore that was emblazoned with a huge black cross on its back.......with her long dark brown hair, clipped back casually in a ponytail, trailing down her back.

As Nancy stepped off the ice, Oksana stepped on it........flew across the ice a couple of times like a gazelle.........then took her starting position. All became quiet, as we saw Oksana kneeling down on the ice, with the cowl hiding her face/head. Then the hypnotic music began.......A Thousand Years & Desert Rose........and she became the character to such a degree that one couldn't tell where the skater began & the music ended & vice-versa (no lie). Truly nothing like it ~ once she sets a spells, it cannot be broken, such is her magic.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. My biggest regret, thus far, was not being able to see Oksana skate @ the recent most SOI here in Seattle ~ where she reprised her role of a Swan again ~ but what really broke my heart was my 6 yr. old baby niece not being able to go either (after I had promised her). However, I am now looking into taking her to COI, or one of those Disney Specials that come to town. :)^)