What Is Your Philosophy of Skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Is Your Philosophy of Skating?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
the meaning behind Brasseur and Eisler

If Brasseur and Eisler were my top choice over G&G that day, doesn't that speak to you of what skating qualities get me?
It's part of my philosophy!;) rrrgirl!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In skating I like the beautiful, effortless, flowing movement. Speed, moves, jumps and footwork which seem to come out of nowhere and still look beautiful and powerful. I dislike and get scared as I watch a skater having a loooong preparation for a lutz and can see the boards approaching, LOL.

To me it is very important how everything looks (I´m not speaking of skater´s facial features, LOL) on the ice, and that includes the skater having an elegant looking bodytype. In my opinion a bit tallish (male) skater looks best, but also a short one IF the bodytype still looks elegant.

I enjoy watching skaters which I can feel interpreting and really expressing the music. To really appreciate a skater, I must also have the feeling that everything seems to come out of the skaters own person, her or him having the power for expressiveness, and not all that just coming out of a choreography.

Marjaana

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Nadine,

I was elated to see that you are a Romanov fan as well! I am an avid Romanov fan (particularly of Nicholas II and his family) and am glad to see several skating fans share a similar passion. I assume that the "tall, regal and statuesque" figure you were referring to could only be the graceful Grand Duchess Tatiana.

I am also an Oksana fan, and definitely agree with RGirl about the huge improvements made in her skating during the year seperating the 93 Worlds and 94 Olympics. But, one of my favorite Oksana programs is still her SP from the 1993 Worlds. That was the first time I ever saw her and I was stunned. Nancy, Surya, Chen Lu and others were garnering all of the attention...and then Oksana skated the best technical program of the bunch (in my mind). She had the flow even then, but she also had an edgy, sexy quality that none of the other competitors had at that time.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry everyone for my having so many replies to this topic, but I honestly love it (no lie)! :love: So please excuse my going off-topic & talking incessantly (in real life I'm the same way, but hyper as well, lol). :D

BronzeisGolden said:
Nadine,

I was elated to see that you are a Romanov fan as well! I am an avid Romanov fan (particularly of Nicholas II and his family) and am glad to see several skating fans share a similar passion. I assume that the "tall, regal and statuesque" figure you were referring to could only be the graceful Grand Duchess Tatiana.

ME: aha, yes, another Romanov Fan! *cheers* Have been a fan of these enigmatic individuals for decades now (literally), especially of Grand Duchess Anastasia, as of course there is the mystery surrounding her supposed death. Btw, I still think Anna Anderson might have been her, despite DNA evidence saying otherwise~ IMHO her DNA might have been tampered with; wouldn't put it past someone like Prince Philip or the British Royal Family to do such (just take a look @ the present mystery surrounding the death of Princess Diana, "conspiracy"). But anyhow, I literally own many books/videotapes/faux Faberge Eggs/etc. pertaining to the family......my library, not to mention my china cabinet, is honestly overflowing with stuff (lol).....b/c I have a myriad of interests ranging from antiques to music to Mike Tyson to you-name-it. And now, unlike my childhood, I have the means to indulge it. Btw, I am also a member of the Les Tribunes Royales MB, especially as Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is a favorite of mine (think it might have to do w/the fact that my father was part Swedish).

Back on topic, Oksana actually reminds me of ALL the Grand Duchesses, but especially of the enigmatic Anastasia........most likely b/c of the fact that Oksana was an orphan for so long.........until discovering & being reunited with her biological father & paternal grandmother this past summer (aka reminds me of the story of "Anastasia", especially the Disney version :) ).

But, one of my favorite Oksana programs is still her SP from the 1993 Worlds. That was the first time I ever saw her and I was stunned. She had the flow even then, but she also had an edgy, sexy quality that none of the other competitors had at that time.

ME: Your last sentence really resonated with me b/c this quality of Oksana (i.e. "edgy, sexy") manifested itself in front of my eyes in ONE program in particular (aka "The Feeling Begins").......@ 1995 Ice Wars (on her 18th birthday, first time she ever performed it btw).......blew me away, didn't even know she was capable of such a program! :eek: And that program, along w/The Dying Swan & Swan Lake, is what cemented her as a Romanov in my eyes forever (no lie).

By the way, since posting about that pro-am competition I attended in the Fall of 2000, I've been searching endlessly for those pics I took of Oksana & everyone else.......aaahhh, it's driving me crazy (lol) :eek: .........b/c there is one pic in particular where I felt I caught the essence of the moment (no lie). Btw, Oksana has been sooooo very generous with me (& my baby niece) over the years that I honestly cannot thank her enough (likewise Dina). And if you're out there reading this, Moulya, I'm so sorry I & my baby niece missed seeing you @ SOI in Seattle. :(

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. I love the fact that I have my 6 yr. old baby niece to relive my childhood again :D ......though there is something to be said of growing up in humble surroundings, as opposed to being *spoiled* (which she is, lol).....but now I have someone to share my passion for Anastasia & skating with, as well as gymnastics, et al. :love:

Last edited:

Cidz

Spectator
i love being awake at dawn while the rest of the world is still sleeping, and going to the rink and being the first on. No one is watching so you can just do whatever you feel like....its like youre the only person in the world.

also ive recently been getting into syncho...the spirit of that is absolutly phenominal. the girls get so hyped and into it, i love it!