Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

I find it sad how distant and detached Mirai and her coach (Amy Evidente) seemed in the K&C at Rostelcom, especially after the LP, which both really should have been pleased with! It was like they'd hardly ever seen one another before. Struck me as very odd.

I guess the whole thing was so striking to me given that it's been quite awhile since Mirai's had such good SP and LP's in the same event - so the lack of enjoyment on it, by her or her coach was just kind of sad.

Do you think that Mirai needs a change of coach ?

I think that Amy is a part of the reasons why Mirai skate with a stone face, we can see that Amy looks really harsh with Mirai, so Mirai isn't able to enjoy anymore what she do because I think that she feel pressure by her coach.

I think that Mirai should go back to her first coach : Charlene Wong

It's always good to comeback with your past coach after a lot of year, because the previous coach feel honored to work again with you and It help to develop a great chemistry between the two.

Like Sasha Cohen for example who quit John Nicks and comeback with him 4 years later. (I remember that John Nicks say that when she was with him 4 year later, it was a girl and 4 year later when she comeback she became a women )

I think that it would be a great move if Mirai comeback with Charlene Wong, I think with her she would finish the season with joy and passion.

What you think about that ?

Mirari needs a phsycologist, her behavior change strated before her last coach

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Mirari needs a phsycologist, her behavior change strated before her last coach
    Mirai doesn't need at all a psychologist.

I wonder if the members in this forum have really skate before, because sometimes it's really the coach who is the real reason why the skater lost personality or confidence.

Like example Amelie Lacoste who was with Nathalie Martin at the beginning of the season, the relationship that she have with this coach seems really bad and was affecting her skating :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPFlBmJKFE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPFlBmJKFE&t=5m51s

And today Amelie trains with Christy Krall and it's seems to be a great match because Amelie enjoy her skating a lot more and improve her confidence under Krall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEsUTpJUIHg&t=5m38s

I see the same problem with Mirai. Amy Evidente doesn't seems to be the right coach for her :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQVZTX-gt8&t=5m19s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOmGUqh7_M&t=6m49s

There is no communication between them and it kind of sad that they doesn't seems happy about the results or the performance :(

I believe you, bad relationship with coaches reflect in the performances, and I can`t be sure if this is the case with Mirai, but definitly her problems and emotionless performances started before this new coach, and I don´t think we should judge a coach-student relationship just for the minutes we watched them in K&C.

And I don´t think it hurts a psychologist

Custom Title
    Maybe they were aloof with each other because Mirai has told her she will be seeking another coach. But can Mirai afford one of the top coaches ?

Custom Title
    Mirai skated with blank face since the year after the Olympics. That was the year when she suddenly started having problems with underrotations and her results dropped. Since then she concentrates much more on the technical side of skating to the detriment of engaging with the audience. So I don't think it is a problem between her and her coach. I think the jumps are not so much harder for her than they used to be (if she wants to land them clean) and she doesn't manages to think about anything else.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I honestly see Mirai moving on to college after this season. If she doesn't make the Olympic or World teams I think it will be clear that it's best to open the next chapter. If she does well at nationals and makes the team she may be motivated to keep skating but again I think she would want to leave the sport with that memory.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I honestly see Mirai moving on to college after this season. If she doesn't make the Olympic or World teams I think it will be clear that it's best to open the next chapter. If she does well at nationals and makes the team she may be motivated to keep skating but again I think she would want to leave the sport with that memory.
    There could be many reasons she might move one. On the other hand she is only twenty, so she would well continue for one more Olympic cycle.

Custom Title
    I wonder if Mirai is living on her own or is she living with a host family.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    In the U.S., skaters and other athletes do use social media to promote their sponsors.
    Example: Davis and White both send tweets now and then showing that they are enjoying one or more Kellogg's products for breakfast.
    Some tweets and/or Facebook posts show an athlete's promotional efforts for the sponsor's brand, without directly pushing specific products. Example: A few days ago, Nastia Liukin used both platforms to post a photo of herself shooting a commercial for the Subway sandwich chain.
    American athletes also commonly retweet tweets from their sponsors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I have. I've seen such tweets from athletes like Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Gabrielle Douglas and Ashley Wagner to name just a few.
    I stand corrected then. I didn't realize American athletes had to push their sponsors' products to this degree...

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I stand corrected then. I didn't realize American athletes had to push their sponsors' products to this degree...
    "Push" is too strong a word, IMHO. I hope that my post above did not give the impression that American skaters use social media for nothing else but plugging their sponsors -- or that their mentions of sponsors are excessive or distasteful in frequency or tone.

Davis/White, for example, tweet some very uplifting stuff about their volunteer work as Classroom Champs, for which they donate their time to educate and inspire young kids. Nothing to do with any sponsor.
    And they tweet about subjects completely unrelated to skating -- their dogs, their lives as students at U Mich, etc.

Sporadically, one of them will tweet something related to a sponsor. It so happens that Meryl Davis tweeted about two sponsors today -- but she certainly does not do so every day or every week. (It is only natural that as the Sochi Games fast approach, sponsor-related tweets are showing up in the mix a bit more often.)

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I wonder if Mirai is living on her own or is she living with a host family.
    Someone on FSU mentioned that Mirai was being driven to the rink each day by Mura and being taken care of by his family too - again this is second-hand info but it seems the likely case. I'm curious as to whether the U.S. Federation is footing some of the bill/s or if she has found some kind Japanese sponsors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    They don't 'have' to per se but perhaps some get the message that they should at least a little depending on their contracts per sponsors? Social media is after all the modern way of pushing many products.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Someone on FSU mentioned that Mirai was being driven to the rink each day by Mura and being taken care of by his family too - again this is second-hand info but it seems the likely case. I'm curious as to whether the U.S. Federation is footing some of the bill/s or if she has found some kind Japanese sponsors?
    I seriously doubt the USFSA is footing any of the bills there. More than likely Mirai has made some connections in Japan and they are helping her out. She's pretty popular over there and has been for a long time...

Plus, there's always that thought in the back of my head about Mirai's dual citizenship. She has until she turns 22 (I believe) to make her decision about it. When it was brought up back when she first came onto the scene I thought it was stupid to think she'd leave the US to skate for Japan...however, flash forward to now and you can see how it wouldn't be such a far-fetched idea.

The USFSA doesn't seem interested in Mirai anymore. They are putting all of their attention into supporting Ashley and grooming Gracie and trying to give Agnes a leg up...Mirai is barely an afterthought for them now. Meanwhile in Japan, all of their top ladies are supposedly retiring at the end of the season (Mao, Akiko, and possibly Kanako too). Japan has Miyahara but it's going to take her a few years to rise through the ranks especially with so many of the young Russians already at the forefront. In order to keep themselves in the standing, Japan is going to have to produce another skater. If the JSF is investing in Mirai, it could be a step in encouraging her to skate for Japan. Not sure it will happen but it is a thought...

^ Interesting thought. If Mirai is really motivated to continue and money is her problem and US is not investing in her and Japan wants her...

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Is there solid info that she is no longer with Christa Fassi? She has been training full time in Japan since leaving Amy Evidente.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast