Does Mirai need a change of coach ? | Golden Skate

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I find it sad how distant and detached Mirai and her coach (Amy Evidente) seemed in the K&C at Rostelcom, especially after the LP, which both really should have been pleased with! It was like they'd hardly ever seen one another before. Struck me as very odd.

I guess the whole thing was so striking to me given that it's been quite awhile since Mirai's had such good SP and LP's in the same event - so the lack of enjoyment on it, by her or her coach was just kind of sad.

Do you think that Mirai needs a change of coach ?

I think that Amy is a part of the reasons why Mirai skate with a stone face, we can see that Amy looks really harsh with Mirai, so Mirai isn't able to enjoy anymore what she do because I think that she feel pressure by her coach.

I think that Mirai should go back to her first coach : Charlene Wong

It's always good to comeback with your past coach after a lot of year, because the previous coach feel honored to work again with you and It help to develop a great chemistry between the two.

Like Sasha Cohen for example who quit John Nicks and comeback with him 4 years later. (I remember that John Nicks say that when she was with him 4 year later, it was a girl and 4 year later when she comeback she became a women :) )

I think that it would be a great move if Mirai comeback with Charlene Wong, I think with her she would finish the season with joy and passion.

What you think about that ?

Barb

Record Breaker
Mirari needs a phsycologist, her behavior change strated before her last coach :confused2:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Mirari needs a phsycologist, her behavior change strated before her last coach :confused2:

Mirai doesn't need at all a psychologist.

I wonder if the members in this forum have really skate before, because sometimes it's really the coach who is the real reason why the skater lost personality or confidence.

Like example Amelie Lacoste who was with Nathalie Martin at the beginning of the season, the relationship that she have with this coach seems really bad and was affecting her skating :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPFlBmJKFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPFlBmJKFE&t=5m51s

And today Amelie trains with Christy Krall and it's seems to be a great match because Amelie enjoy her skating a lot more and improve her confidence under Krall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEsUTpJUIHg&t=5m38s

I see the same problem with Mirai. Amy Evidente doesn't seems to be the right coach for her :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQVZTX-gt8&t=5m19s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOmGUqh7_M&t=6m49s

There is no communication between them and it kind of sad that they doesn't seems happy about the results or the performance :(

Barb

Record Breaker
I believe you, bad relationship with coaches reflect in the performances, and I can`t be sure if this is the case with Mirai, but definitly her problems and emotionless performances started before this new coach, and I don´t think we should judge a coach-student relationship just for the minutes we watched them in K&C.

And I don´t think it hurts a psychologist

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe they were aloof with each other because Mirai has told her she will be seeking another coach. But can Mirai afford one of the top coaches ?

hanca

Record Breaker
Mirai skated with blank face since the year after the Olympics. That was the year when she suddenly started having problems with underrotations and her results dropped. Since then she concentrates much more on the technical side of skating to the detriment of engaging with the audience. So I don't think it is a problem between her and her coach. I think the jumps are not so much harder for her than they used to be (if she wants to land them clean) and she doesn't manages to think about anything else.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I think Mirai needs to rediscover the joy in skating like she had back in in 2010 at her best. She needs a coach that can reinstall that fire in her, she looked in Cup of Russia like she was going through a checklist when skating, not really expressing herself.

flying camel

Medalist
Mirai wears her emotions on her sleeve. If something is bothering her she can't hide it. Its often reflected in her performance. I think she should go back to Frank. Why not, she and Gracie could really push each other. . If not that aren't there some other coaches that work at that rink? But for right now she is stuck with the coach she has. It too close to nationals and the Olympics.

I agree most of the American girls look like they are just checking off jumps.

ks777

Record Breaker
Charlene Wong wasn't her first coach. She switched to Charlene the year she won the US jr Nationals if I remember correctly. I don't think that relationship was working either. I think Mirai didn't listen to Charlen and Mirai just did whatever she wanted to. What Mirai needs is a strict coach. Too bad Ashley went to Aurtunian.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Mirai wears her emotions on her sleeve. If something is bothering her she can't hide it. Its often reflected in her performance. I think she should go back to Frank. Why not, she and Gracie could really push each other. . If not that aren't there some other coaches that work at that rink? But for right now she is stuck with the coach she has. It too close to nationals and the Olympics.

I agree most of the American girls look like they are just checking off jumps.

Yeah, wearing your heart on your sleeve can really work against you at times. I like the idea of her going back to Frank, she had her best results with him making the World and Olympic Team. Training with a rival can really push you, look at V/M and D/W.

Charlene Wong wasn't her first coach. She switched to Charlene the year she won the US jr Nationals if I remember correctly. I don't think that relationship was working either. I think Mirai didn't listen to Charlen and Mirai just did whatever she wanted to. What Mirai needs is a strict coach. Too bad Ashley went to Aurtunian.

Why did Ashley change coaches? Has Nicks retired? What are some strict coaches that can install toughness other than Nicks and Frank Carroll?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't see the point of getting a new coach now. It is pretty evident that this will be her last season competing. She doesn't have that look of someone who is hungry and fighting to win anymore.

Icey

Record Breaker
Why did wendy olson not work out? Mirai has to stay at home so that really limits her choices?

heyang

Record Breaker
Based upon previous interviews, Mirai said she really benefitted by sharing a rink with Evan who is a very disciplined athlete. By emulating him, she worked through her run throughs etc.

I agree that Mirai's loss of joy isn't new. I think the early attention was to her detriment. Both she and Caroline were featured as the next great skaters to compete at Ladies' Nationals the year before they actually skated seniors. That added pressure of expectations. Then for Mirai to just miss the podium at her 1st Olympics as well as being a former US champion just raised the stakes for her. I really do think she thinks too much about the competition vs thinking about her performance. Add in injuries and it's not surprising that she would become discouraged.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Mirai isn't reading this thread. She doesn't need a psychologist and the evidence for a rift with her coach is scant. At 20, I hope it is not her last season competing. I remember another skater who skated "stone-faced" and who most people had given up by the time she was 20. Her name is Shizuka Arakawa.

From what they showed on TV in the Kiss and Cry, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the coach's demeanor. She was intent on checking the scores, that's all.

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope Mirai isn't reading this thread. She doesn't need a psychologist and the evidence for a rift with her coach is scant. At 20, I hope it is not her last season competing. I remember another skater who skated "stone-faced" and who most people had given up by the time she was 20. Her name is Shizuka Arakawa.

yes but Shizuka was always stone-faced, it is not the same, Mirai was all smiley, she looked like a very happy girl, something changed. Like someone said it, may be she is only too much concentrated in the technical elements.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am confident that Mirai will know if and when she needs a change of coach and act accordingly.:)

mskater93

Record Breaker
It looks as if Evidente is just "all business" which is really something Mirai needs. If I recall correctly, Evidente and Olson kept Mirai from making a fool of herself in KnC at Nationals last year after the LP. I respect that from both of them. Not sure which of the two said "not here" and both dragged her back past the mixed zone to have a meltdown. Evidente is clearly a no nonsense coach, which, by all accounts, is EXACTLY what she needs. IIRC, Wong made a comment about a lack of work ethic regarding Mirai after their split, so I am unsure if Wong would take her back.

bump

Match Penalty
I think Mirai...hmm...I think Mirai needs a change of career. Everyone seems to think her heart really isn't in it, so she should probably stop spending so much money on any coach and use that money to get an education.

b-man

Final Flight
It looks as if Evidente is just "all business" which is really something Mirai needs. If I recall correctly, Evidente and Olson kept Mirai from making a fool of herself in KnC at Nationals last year after the LP. I respect that from both of them. Not sure which of the two said "not here" and both dragged her back past the mixed zone to have a meltdown. Evidente is clearly a no nonsense coach, which, by all accounts, is EXACTLY what she needs. IIRC, Wong made a comment about a lack of work ethic regarding Mirai after their split, so I am unsure if Wong would take her back.

Disagree with you here. Thought Olson was the no nonsense coach last year,she got Mirai out of the K&C in Omaha, and she was trained in the tough Frank Carrol model. Amy appears more as a friend and emotional support than as a strict coach, and also , I suspect, is less expensive than FC or Olson. I don't believe Mirai is getting the same financial support from her family as she received in the past.