Does Mirai need a change of coach ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Interesting info about the formal mentorship program, I agree it is an excellent idea. US has an amazing legacy of great ladies skaters, there are so much rich experience and valuable insights to be gained. Is Mirai still with Wong this Olympic cycle? I wonder how much political pull Mirai really still have within the federation/ISU, it used to be her strong backing were Carroll and Lori, but since she lost both of them along with her funding. It seems these days no one except maybe JSF has help her out a bit by keep inviting her to NHK Trophy where she have many fans in Japan. May be that is one of the reasons Eurosport commentator keep getting confused, seems she's getting better treated by JSF than USFA these past few years. Hope this can change by this US nationals where she get a bit more of fairer look or benefit of doubt, without her competitors getting so obviously propped up.

It occured to me she has been getting 3 x cup of China these past 3 years, and never get to asked for skate America where they'd prioritise federation favs to ensure maximum home advantage like how Chan always get Skate Canada, Ashley get Skate America, Mao get NHK, and Kostner likely to get TEB or Cup of Russia to boost these PCS to benchmark inflated scores. As TSL joked around 26min40 on the latest broadcast, when you get cup of Russia for a US skaters, you kind of know USFA are trying to get rid of you. Well Mirai did get Rostelecom Cup this year, a real tough assignment for a US skater considering (even though US did really well last year with Gracie and Agnes, but both were newbies with nothing to lose) and Mirai proved she still got the goods and the desire. Hopefully she get a proper chance this year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The odd thing about Charlene being in this program was that she was a Canadian competitor back in 1988-

icellist

On the Ice
Maybe Japan wants to coax Mirai to JSF after this season because it's her last year eligible for Japanese citizenship and the veterans are leaving.

But on a more serious note, Mirai could ease the 3S into her competitive repertoire thru her exhibition.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe Japan wants to coax Mirai to JSF after this season because it's her last year eligible for Japanese citizenship and the veterans are leaving.

But on a more serious note, Mirai could ease the 3S into her competitive repertoire thru her exhibition.

I think this is an excellent idea and I wonder that Mirai and her coaches never seem to have considered this.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
From her twitter, she loves her exhibition this season

I haven't checked out twitter in a while. I'm glad she loves it! I wish that she'd love it even more and try to work it into a competitive program. :biggrin:

I like Mirai's new avatar on her twitter account: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000795675817/9533bd04cb9efed221e83df3434481e1.jpeg

They may be battling for that third Olympic spot come Nationals but it's nice to see Agnes and Mirai are friends and can goof off. :biggrin: I like how Agnes called Mirai 'her better half' in another pic too lol!

samson

Medalist
^That's really cute. I think I remember from twitter that Mirai, Christina and Agnes were all roommates at ChampsCamp this year, and it seems like they loved being roomies.

I love her exhibition so much this year. I also really liked last years exhibition. I'm kind of sad that the system makes it illogical to do spins like that first spin from Golden Pond. There's such a purity and honesty to that moment.

There is another piece of music I would LOVE to see her skate to in the future.

It's called Svanur by Rökkurró
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUTKcAqxX8

It's a long song so for those interested in the best part, skip the lyrics and go to 1:56. It's just stunning, and I think Mirai would bring such a magical quality to it.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
^That's really cute. I think I remember from twitter that Mirai, Christina and Agnes were all roommates at ChampsCamp this year, and it seems like they loved being roomies.

I love her exhibition so much this year. I also really liked last years exhibition. I'm kind of sad that the system makes it illogical to do spins like that first spin from Golden Pond. There's such a purity and honesty to that moment.

There is another piece of music I would LOVE to see her skate to in the future.

It's called Svanur by Rökkurró
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUTKcAqxX8

It's a long song so for those interested in the best part, skip the lyrics and go to 1:56. It's just stunning, and I think Mirai would bring such a magical quality to it.

It's a quiet, lovely piece. I think this would work for Mirai too!

willdu

On the Ice
An interesting update on from the skating lesson:

On the North American front, things have become more interesting as the ladies clamor for the third spot. Initially thought to be out of it, Mirai Nagasu is making a late push to make the team. Mirai’s improvement between Grand Prix assignments was stunning. She was simply a different skater in a matter of two weeks. Though Mirai was accompanied to Russia by Amy Evidente, the coach and pupil had differences on the trip and have since parted ways. Christa Fassi has worked with Mirai since the summer and will likely accompany her to the National Championships. In the mean time, Mirai will spend the next few weeks training in Japan with the coach she worked with between Grand Prix events. By all accounts, Mirai has appeared happier, more confident and in better physical condition in recent works. Her jumps are coming back along with her belief in herself. It may not be over just yet.

Perhaps this coaching change did happen? Interesting....

samson

Medalist
Very interesting news indeed! I read this earlier and tried to share it, but I guess I did it the wrong way so it didn't post, but that's ok! The news is still shared so thanks, Willdu!

While the move may be a but unorthodox, it actually sounds like it was a very organic decision, and if the leaps in progress she made from NHK to Rostelecom Cup are any indication it sounds like this could be a great move for her. I'm also really glad to hear that she appears happier and more confident. That's probably the best part of this news.

It's kind of funny to think that this move makes Mirai the fourth US lady to have a major coaching change this season.

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
Wow, she really changed coaches so close to Nationals. I hope the move so late into the season can somehow work magic on her, and she's able to fight her way to the podium at Nationals :agree: