Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

Custom Title
    I suspect Mirai has too many things on her mind these days to truly feel relaxed and happy about her skating. It shows up on all her performance unfortunately. What she seem to need is a good mentor and a muse that can instill her confidence, keep her relaxed and deal with pressures properly. She was probably the least pressured and expected at the recent GP, and therefore of course she did her best work there. Utterly mad and perhaps predictable.

Her exhibition has always been so lovely and I really like Grusin's On the Golden Pond this year. If she can bring half of the magic from her exhibitions to her competitive program and manage to rotate all her jumps, keep the 3/3, I still think a top 8 finish at the Olympics is not out of the question provided she have a strong showing at the US nationals. Beating Gold or Ashley in TES might be enough to suffice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I suspect Mirai has too many things on her mind these days to truly feel relaxed and happy about her skating. It shows up on all her performance unfortunately. What she seem to need is a good mentor and a muse that can instill her confidence, keep her relaxed and deal with pressures properly. She was probably the least pressured and expected at the recent GP, and therefore of course she did her best work there. Utterly mad and perhaps predictable.

I remember four years ago heading into the Olympics all the top skaters in the US had mentors. I think Ashley was with Tara, flatt was with Dorothy. I can't remember who Mirai was with . I thought that was a nice program. I wonder why they did not continue that. That was one of their few good ideas .
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-27-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I remember four years ago heading into the Olympics all the top skaters in the US had mentors. I think Ashley was with Tara, flatt was with Dorothy. I can't remember who Mirai was with . I though that was a nice program. I wonder why they did not continue that. That was one of their few good ideas .
    I don't remember anyone mentoring Mirai but surely she was if Ashley and Rachael were? Kristi Yamaguchi perhaps?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-27-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Banned
    I think Mirai is past her peak. Even when she skates to her potential I just look and say that was good skating, not great skating like I once did when she skated her best. She is slow, somewhat methodical, jumps arent very good quality, and her spins lack the wow factor of before. That said I admire her for sticking with it and making a comeback to good form and consistency the last 15 months. It would be great for her to make it to a 2nd Olympics. That would be the equivalent of a gold medal for someone else for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post

I don't remember anyone mentoring Mirai but surely she was if Ashley and Rachael were? Kristi Yamaguchi perhaps?
    According to this article, Mirai's mentor was Charlene Wong heading up to the Vancouver Olympics (even though she was not her coach, of course). Curious that Mirai didn't seem to have a mentor like Ashley and Rachael. Wonder what the story behind that is.

http://www.management-mentors.com/ab...ve-Mentors-Too
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-27-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post

According to this article, Mirai's mentor was Charlene Wong heading up to the Vancouver Olympics (even though she was not her coach, of course). Curious that Mirai didn't seem to have a mentor like Ashley and Rachael. Wonder what the story behind that is.

Yeah that's kind of odd that Rachael and Ashley each got an Olympic Champion to mentor them but not Mirai.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    .... I remember four years ago heading into the Olympics all the top skaters in the US had mentors. I think Ashley was with Tara, flatt was with Dorothy. I can't remember who Mirai was with . I thought that was a nice program. I wonder why they did not continue that. That was one of their few good ideas .
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post

Yeah that's kind of odd that Rachael and Ashley each get an Olympic Champion to mentor them but not Mirai.
    I'm curious/confused about this mentoring discussion.

The article at the link below said that Wagner's coach was the one who approached Lipinski about serving as a mentor.

Who arranged for Hamill to mentor Flatt? Was it an official US Figure Skating initiative, or a private agreement (as Wagner/Lipinski's apparently was)?

(In any case, wild speculation: Is it possible that Frank Carroll did not encourage his skaters to have previous Olympians as mentors? The article above says that Abbott's was Wylie. No mention of one for Lysacek.)

Icey's article said that Apolo Anton Ohno's mentor was his father. So I'm guessing that the USOC or the speedskating federation was not involved in setting up Ohno's mentorship.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I'm curious/confused about this mentoring discussion.

The article at the link below said that Wagner's coach was the one who approached Lipinski about serving as a mentor.

Who arranged for Hamill to mentor Flatt? Was it an official US Figure Skating initiative, or a private agreement (as Wagner/Lipinski's apparently was)?

(In any case, wild speculation: Is it possible that Frank Carroll did not encourage his skaters to have previous Olympians as mentors? The article above says that Abbott's was Wylie. No mention of one for Lysacek.)

Icey's article said that Apolo Anton Ohno's mentor was his father. So I'm guessing that the USOC or the speedskating federation was not involved in setting up Ohno's mentorship.
    I could have sworn that the USFS had some kind of mentoring program at that time (don't know if they still do) - so I googled it and found this brief mention of an article on the subject in US Figure Skating Magazine - an article titled "Guiding Light":
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?Issue=43145

Guiding Light
    by Amy Rosewater:
    The U.S. Figure Skating mentoring program includes several Olympians and U.S. champions, including Dorothy Hamill, Paul Wylie and Tai Babilonia, and likely will expand to include several others soon.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I remember this as a mentoring program where past Olympians were paired with US skaters. I think the mentors themselves got to pick whom they were working with.

Mirai skated her best at Olympics, so I won't criticize Wong's mentoring though However, Wong had a completely disastrous Olympics in 1988, AFAIR. Of course, she was not reliable with any jumps beyond the 2A in any case again AFAIR.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I could have sworn that the USFS had some kind of mentoring program at that time (don't know if they still do) - so I googled it and found this brief mention of an article on the subject in US Figure Skating Magazine - an article titled "Guiding Light":
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?Issue=43145

Guiding Light
    by Amy Rosewater:
    The U.S. Figure Skating mentoring program includes several Olympians and U.S. champions, including Dorothy Hamill, Paul Wylie and Tai Babilonia, and likely will expand to include several others soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I remember this as a mentoring program where past Olympians were paired with US skaters. I think the mentors themselves got to pick whom they were working with.

Mirai skated her best at Olympics, so I won't criticize Wong's mentoring though However, Wong had a completely disastrous Olympics in 1988, AFAIR. Of course, she was not reliable with any jumps beyond the 2A in any case again AFAIR.
    Thanks to SS and Doris for your replies. Agreed that Wong's mentoring did not put Nagasu at any disadvantage. (Pls pardon my ignorance -- did not know that Wong also was an Olympic competitor, although not champion.)

FWIW, as to whether the US Figure Skating program is still in effect:
    Before Skate America, Sarah Hughes tweeted a cheer for Max Aaron, including a reference to mentoring him this year. Based on a couple of past indications, he seemed to have a friendly personal relationship with both Sarah and Emily Hughes, so at the time of Sarah's tweet, it did not cross my mind that maybe her mentoring was part of an official USFS program. Maybe it is, maybe it is not.

Custom Title
    Interesting info about the formal mentorship program, I agree it is an excellent idea. US has an amazing legacy of great ladies skaters, there are so much rich experience and valuable insights to be gained. Is Mirai still with Wong this Olympic cycle? I wonder how much political pull Mirai really still have within the federation/ISU, it used to be her strong backing were Carroll and Lori, but since she lost both of them along with her funding. It seems these days no one except maybe JSF has help her out a bit by keep inviting her to NHK Trophy where she have many fans in Japan. May be that is one of the reasons Eurosport commentator keep getting confused, seems she's getting better treated by JSF than USFA these past few years. Hope this can change by this US nationals where she get a bit more of fairer look or benefit of doubt, without her competitors getting so obviously propped up.

It occured to me she has been getting 3 x cup of China these past 3 years, and never get to asked for skate America where they'd prioritise federation favs to ensure maximum home advantage like how Chan always get Skate Canada, Ashley get Skate America, Mao get NHK, and Kostner likely to get TEB or Cup of Russia to boost these PCS to benchmark inflated scores. As TSL joked around 26min40 on the latest broadcast, when you get cup of Russia for a US skaters, you kind of know USFA are trying to get rid of you. Well Mirai did get Rostelecom Cup this year, a real tough assignment for a US skater considering (even though US did really well last year with Gracie and Agnes, but both were newbies with nothing to lose) and Mirai proved she still got the goods and the desire. Hopefully she get a proper chance this year.

Custom Title
    Charlene Wong at Calgary. Dick had a few pleasant comments about her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrppRl0lDZ4

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The odd thing about Charlene being in this program was that she was a Canadian competitor back in 1988-

Custom Title
    Yeah that's kind of odd that Rachael and Ashley each got an Olympic Champion to mentor them but not Mirai.
    Yeah that is odd. Mirai would get Canada's Susan Lucci - miss runner up at nationals double axel queen.

Custom Title
    Maybe Japan wants to coax Mirai to JSF after this season because it's her last year eligible for Japanese citizenship and the veterans are leaving.

But on a more serious note, Mirai could ease the 3S into her competitive repertoire thru her exhibition.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast