Does Mirai need a change of coach ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

samson

Medalist
Obviously I'm a Mirai optimist, but I think that even from an objective place it's cleat that her new training is going to be highly effective.

Icey

Record Breaker
I wonder if Japan is making overtures to her to skate for them with the leaving of Mao and Akiko?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
An interesting update on from the skating lesson:

Perhaps this coaching change did happen? Interesting....

Interesting changes, great new she appears to get hold and control of her destiny and really push forward. Hope it works out!!
I also think this time alone (hopefully without parental supervision) give herself to develop sense of discipline, maturity and independence.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, she really changed coaches so close to Nationals. I hope the move so late into the season can somehow work magic on her, and she's able to fight her way to the podium at Nationals :agree:

I think this is a good move for Mirai, if true. Aside from the obvious need to bring up her technical levels, she also needs a well-known coach to accompany her if she makes the Olympic team. It's mainly for appearances and politics, but necessary, I think.

nam57

Rinkside
Whatever the situation, no one ever thinks of the old coach. How much have they invested in the season? How many other students have they either turned down or cut back on to work with an elite athlete? I'll bet that the old coach was not compensated for all the travel time. These changes should be done at the start of a season and then work together. Everyone looks for the magic wand.

mary01

Final Flight
I'm really surprised to hear that Mirai has changed her coach, she looked like she had a good relationship with her. But whoever had worked with Mirai during the GP series did a really good job, and I would dare say more then most people could have hoped for in such a short period of time. I really hope she will be able to give a great skate at US Nationals and make the team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, but I don't think it is going to be smooth sailing for Mirai. She has often had up-and-down seasons so one good competition may be the first in improved performances, or simply an aberration.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What Mirai needs is a flu shot. No more flu at Nationals please. Why didn't she get one last year? Or I heard that the flu last year was so bad that getting a flu shot didn't prevent it? But anyways, for an elite athlete who has their biggest event (or qualifier) of the season in the dead of winter and spends all day in cold ice rinks, isn't getting a flu shot a no brainer?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can get a flu shot and still come down with a bad cold that turns into bronchitis. Any time you are in a public environment, you are exposed to viruses and bacteria other people bring in with them. Skating all day in a cold, damp rink only makes it worse. If Mirai is training in Japan, the rinks there are even more crowded than they are in the US, and she risks being exposed to germs she hasn't encountered before in the US.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Seems like all of the speculation regarding Amy and Mirai was spot on...

Sad to see their relationship end in the middle of the season like this BUT the upside is whoever she worked with in Japan between NHK and COR did wonders for her technically...more than Evidente ever did, sad to say. I hope she's able to continue to work on the technical aspects of her skating as well as work on bringing that light and spark back to her skating. Lest we forget, the Mirai who showed up at nationals in 2010 looked 100% different from the skater we saw on the GP that year. There was a confidence and effervescence that we had never seen before.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high but judging by what Mirai did at COR, I'm really hoping to see a turnaround like that next month in Boston...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mirai's trajectory the past 4 seasons has been identical. Skate poorly at the first GP event, somewhat redeem herself at the 2nd GP event, and then skate a poor LP at Nationals. If that happens again this year at Nationals it would be sad.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know if she officially has a new coach or no but it's obvious that training in Japan did wonders for her in just 2 weeks prior to COR. I hope the report is true, I think this is a great strategic move for Mirai (again, if the report from the skating lesson is true). I hope that she gets her magic (and mojo!) back before Nationals. I'd be sad as an American if she were no longer to compete for the U.S. but on the other hand what a great country she'd be skating for!

coppertop1

On the Ice
Working in Japan can't hurt, learning from all the talent and Christa Fassi is a good coach to have.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
TSL mentioned Mirai is working with Christa Fassi. I don't know who she is working with in Japan.

Per previous reports Mirai worked with Takashi Mura (Takahito Mura's dad and coach) in Japan prior to COR. I'm assuming she's with Mura again. I'm hoping that this change brings great results for Mirai leading up to Nationals.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info Sasha'sSpins....I had no idea Mirai was training with Takashi Mura. Heck, I even missed the speculation about problems between Mirai and Amy. I've always liked Mirai since I first saw her in 2007 Nationals when she won the Jr. Ladies title.

The last couple of years have been tough with her growth spurt and distressing (to me) lack of emotion while skating. I would love to see a refreshed and renewed Mirai at Nationals!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info Sasha'sSpins....I had no idea Mirai was training with Takashi Mura. Heck, I even missed the speculation about problems between Mirai and Amy. I've always liked Mirai since I first saw her in 2007 Nationals when she won the Jr. Ladies title.

The last couple of years have been tough with her growth spurt and distressing (to me) lack of emotion while skating. I would love to see a refreshed and renewed Mirai at Nationals!

I feel the same about Mirai. Jump issues due to two growth spurts - (2009 and post Olympics 2011-12) are one thing but it's been hard to watch Mirai skating so blank-faced out there. I never thought I'd see that from her. She was always so smiley and joyful then the last couple of seasons it's been like zombie-face. :( Again, I hope that training in Japan will do wonders for her confidence and skating at Nationals just as it seemed to before COR.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Maybe training with some of the best skaters in the world will give her a push to kick it up a notch, and inspire her