Does Mirai need a change of coach ? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Maybe training with some of the best skaters in the world will give her a push to kick it up a notch, and inspire her

Training with Evan did wonders for her leading up to Nationals and Olympics in 2010. I think this was a wise move for her, she is really popular in Japan and I think this will give her the confidence boost she needs.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do wish we could get some reports on Mirai now and again leading up to Nationals. She hasn't updated her twitter for a while. :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Do anyone know if Mirai is still with the same sport agency IMG? What is her current sponsorship situation like? (if she has better chance of getting sponsored by Japanese companies, then this move makes great sense)

bebevia

On the Ice
Well... my personal impression from her earlier documentary was that her then coaches (post Carroll) weren't very respectful of her :( I was hoping I imagined it, and still hoping I was.

I remember when my father and I were watching Mirai's SP in Vancouver, giggling afterwards what a delight she was, and then after FS, about her perky confidence for pulling out stuff after Yuna & Mao's presence. I still cherish her in a corner of my heart, and really wish her all the best. Back then, she was a hopeful future of ladies' figure skating, enough that we won't have to be sad for Yuna's retirement.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do anyone know if Mirai is still with the same sport agency IMG? What is her current sponsorship situation like? (if she has better chance of getting sponsored by Japanese companies, then this move makes great sense)

I'm assuming that she is no longer with them - I remember she had some kind of sponsorship with Sony (I think). She thanked them on twitter for some goodies they sent to her home but if she had sponsors currently I would think they'd be listed/promoted on her website and twitter account like other sponsored athletes who consistently push their respective sponsor's 'product'.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I'm assuming that she is no longer with them - I remember she had some kind of sponsorship with Sony (I think). She thanked them on twitter for some goodies they sent to her home but if she had sponsors currently I would think they'd be listed/promoted on her website and twitter account like other sponsored athletes who consistently push their respective sponsor's 'product'.

I've not seen athletes or skaters who push their sponsors' products on Twitter and Facebook. I think they generally use their sponsors' products in public -- such as Yuna wearing earrings specially designed by her sponsors at some events, etc. But I've never seen her or other skaters pushing their sponsors' products blatantly via social media. I certainly don't see Mao talk constantly about how delicious her sponsor's chocolate snacks, etc. are. (But she does commercials for them, and they get to use her image to market their products.)

b-man

Final Flight
Mirai got a small last minute sponsorship from Panasonic shortly before Vancouver. The TV commentators said at the time it was just large enough to cover expenses for her parents' trip to Vancouver. I doubt very much she has any current sponsorships, and I believe she is getting less support from her family than in the past.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've not seen athletes or skaters who push their sponsors' products on Twitter and Facebook. I think they generally use their sponsors' products in public -- such as Yuna wearing earrings specially designed by her sponsors at some events, etc. But I've never seen her or other skaters pushing their sponsors' products blatantly via social media. I certainly don't see Mao talk constantly about how delicious her sponsor's chocolate snacks, etc. are. (But she does commercials for them, and they get to use her image to market their products.)

In the U.S., skaters and other athletes do use social media to promote their sponsors.
Example: Davis and White both send tweets now and then showing that they are enjoying one or more Kellogg's products for breakfast.
Some tweets and/or Facebook posts show an athlete's promotional efforts for the sponsor's brand, without directly pushing specific products. Example: A few days ago, Nastia Liukin used both platforms to post a photo of herself shooting a commercial for the Subway sandwich chain.
American athletes also commonly retweet tweets from their sponsors.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

I have. I've seen such tweets from athletes like Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Gabrielle Douglas and Ashley Wagner to name just a few.

The rosewood on FSU posted this link to a photo - it's of Mirai at a Christmas show at her adopted rink in Japan: http://www3.bigcosmic.com/board/s/b...dis&img=./data_upload/yuki0305/1387310259.jpg

Per rosewood, it was posted by a coach at that rink in one of his blogs.

In the U.S., skaters and other athletes do use social media to promote their sponsors.
Example: Davis and White both send tweets now and then showing that they are enjoying one or more Kellogg's products for breakfast.
Some tweets and/or Facebook posts show an athlete's promotional efforts for the sponsor's brand, without directly pushing specific products. Example: A few days ago, Nastia Liukin used both platforms to post a photo of herself shooting a commercial for the Subway sandwich chain.

^^^
THIS!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I honestly see Mirai moving on to college after this season. If she doesn't make the Olympic or World teams I think it will be clear that it's best to open the next chapter. If she does well at nationals and makes the team she may be motivated to keep skating but again I think she would want to leave the sport with that memory.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Yes, re: b-man I remember the Panasonic series and on some clips it mentioned her parents were only able to make Vancouver to see her because of Panasonic. I haven't heard any other sponsors since which means her financial must be hit hard with less support from USF due to lower rankings; her mum's health issues as well as trying to fund her full time training can't be easy for the family. On top of that, the restaurant industry is notoriously hard working. No sponsors means no money, no skating. I have always consider her more of the 'almost' girl than Ashley, more potential and talented but some how it went all pear shaped.

I wouldn't mind her seek other avenues how ever she can, Japanese, Chinese sponsors, whatever sponsors just to keep the dream alive. Patrick Chan has received some great support from the Chinese Canadian community too, just do what they can to survive in this expensive sport.

lovintabbs85

Rinkside
Any Mirai updates?

Yes, re: b-man I remember the Panasonic series and on some clips it mentioned her parents were only able to make Vancouver to see her because of Panasonic. I haven't heard any other sponsors since which means her financial must be hit hard with less support from USF due to lower rankings; her mum's health issues as well as trying to fund her full time training can't be easy for the family. On top of that, the restaurant industry is notoriously hard working. No sponsors means no money, no skating. I have always consider her more of the 'almost' girl than Ashley, more potential and talented but some how it went all pear shaped.

I wouldn't mind her seek other avenues how ever she can, Japanese, Chinese sponsors, whatever sponsors just to keep the dream alive. Patrick Chan has received some great support from the Chinese Canadian community too, just do what they can to survive in this expensive sport.

Does anyone have any inside info on how Mirai is doing?! Dying to know....:no:

Nadia01

Final Flight

I have. I've seen such tweets from athletes like Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Gabrielle Douglas and Ashley Wagner to name just a few.

I stand corrected then. I didn't realize American athletes had to push their sponsors' products to this degree...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I stand corrected then. I didn't realize American athletes had to push their sponsors' products to this degree...

"Push" is too strong a word, IMHO. I hope that my post above did not give the impression that American skaters use social media for nothing else but plugging their sponsors -- or that their mentions of sponsors are excessive or distasteful in frequency or tone.

Davis/White, for example, tweet some very uplifting stuff about their volunteer work as Classroom Champs, for which they donate their time to educate and inspire young kids. :) Nothing to do with any sponsor.
And they tweet about subjects completely unrelated to skating -- their dogs, their lives as students at U Mich, etc.

Sporadically, one of them will tweet something related to a sponsor. It so happens that Meryl Davis tweeted about two sponsors today -- but she certainly does not do so every day or every week. (It is only natural that as the Sochi Games fast approach, sponsor-related tweets are showing up in the mix a bit more often.)

Icey

Record Breaker
I honestly see Mirai moving on to college after this season. If she doesn't make the Olympic or World teams I think it will be clear that it's best to open the next chapter. If she does well at nationals and makes the team she may be motivated to keep skating but again I think she would want to leave the sport with that memory.

There could be many reasons she might move one. On the other hand she is only twenty, so she would well continue for one more Olympic cycle.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder if Mirai is living on her own or is she living with a host family.

Someone on FSU mentioned that Mirai was being driven to the rink each day by Mura and being taken care of by his family too - again this is second-hand info but it seems the likely case. I'm curious as to whether the U.S. Federation is footing some of the bill/s or if she has found some kind Japanese sponsors?

They don't 'have' to per se but perhaps some get the message that they should at least a little depending on their contracts per sponsors? Social media is after all the modern way of pushing many products.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Someone on FSU mentioned that Mirai was being driven to the rink each day by Mura and being taken care of by his family too - again this is second-hand info but it seems the likely case. I'm curious as to whether the U.S. Federation is footing some of the bill/s or if she has found some kind Japanese sponsors?

I seriously doubt the USFSA is footing any of the bills there. More than likely Mirai has made some connections in Japan and they are helping her out. She's pretty popular over there and has been for a long time...

Plus, there's always that thought in the back of my head about Mirai's dual citizenship. She has until she turns 22 (I believe) to make her decision about it. When it was brought up back when she first came onto the scene I thought it was stupid to think she'd leave the US to skate for Japan...however, flash forward to now and you can see how it wouldn't be such a far-fetched idea.

The USFSA doesn't seem interested in Mirai anymore. They are putting all of their attention into supporting Ashley and grooming Gracie and trying to give Agnes a leg up...Mirai is barely an afterthought for them now. Meanwhile in Japan, all of their top ladies are supposedly retiring at the end of the season (Mao, Akiko, and possibly Kanako too). Japan has Miyahara but it's going to take her a few years to rise through the ranks especially with so many of the young Russians already at the forefront. In order to keep themselves in the standing, Japan is going to have to produce another skater. If the JSF is investing in Mirai, it could be a step in encouraging her to skate for Japan. Not sure it will happen but it is a thought...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^ Interesting thought. If Mirai is really motivated to continue and money is her problem and US is not investing in her and Japan wants her... :cool: