Does Mirai need a change of coach ? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Does Mirai need a change of coach ?

b-man

Final Flight
Here's the thing. I don't think anyone is overlooking the issues those other skaters have. The problem is that Mirai has failed to standout from those skaters despite her immense talent and natural ability and despite the fact, as you point out, all those other skaters have weaknesses.

Agree with your whole post, Mrs. P, a fair and balanced analysis.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do I spy Mirai (LOL, rhyme intended ;)) in this video from "The Voice"?
Many skaters (from Team USA and otherwise) are in it, but I am especially happy to see her -- starting at approx. 2:32 for just a couple of seconds.

Danielle Bradbery's "My Day" featuring 2014 Team USA Olympic hopefuls
NBC Olympics
Published on Dec 18, 2013
Danielle Bradbery, winner of season four of NBC's "The Voice", is also a huge fan of the Olympics! Watch the video for her new song, "My Day," featuring 2014 Winter Olympic hopefuls.
http://youtu.be/Z4Ks2DuuqeI?t=2m32s (the entire vid is 3:56)​

(Apologies if this video already has been posted in this thread or elsewhere.)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^I'm happy that Mirai will have that Olympic memory all of her life - two great skates and 4th at the Olympics when she was 'only' the silver medallist at a Nationals that many felt she should have won.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Per rosewind at FSU, Mirai is back in the States - she trained till December 29th in Okayama.

I hope the time that she took training in Japan has worked wonders for her confidence, her jumps of course (no URs please!) and overall presentation! :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
^^^I'm happy that Mirai will have that Olympic memory all of her life - two great skates and 4th at the Olympics when she was 'only' the silver medallist at a Nationals that many felt she should have won.

Well don't give up yet! I am hopeful for her getting the 3rd spot. I've been looking forward for her Olympic memory Part Deux for 4 years!!!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai is only 20 and I believe that if she wants it she still has the potential to improve greatly and get back up there in the World rankings

Gosh, that's true. I'd somehow forgotten how young she still is. I hope she manages to snag a spot on the Olympics team this year but it's true that she could definitely still go for the next cycle, depending on her motivation and her body.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well don't give up yet! I am hopeful for her getting the 3rd spot. I've been looking forward for her Olympic memory Part Deux for 4 years!!!

Oh I haven't given up! I'm also hoping that Mirai continues after this season! :)

wootie

Match Penalty
I think Mirai needs to retire and go to school. She is a very inconsistent skater which seems to stem from the fact that she only wants to actually skate about half the time she's competing. The other half of the time it looks like she is dutifully going through the motions of being a competitive skater in order to satisfy someone else's expectations for her life...or she's holding on to some half-hearted notion that by putting in just enough effort to not totally embarrass herself, she'll magically be considered really good. That being said, if she works hard and tries to fully rotate those triples, she can be competitive with the other ladies. She just seems to lack inspiration and passion most of the time.

sweetskates1

Medalist
:disapp:

I think Mirai needs to retire and go to school. She is a very inconsistent skater which seems to stem from the fact that she only wants to actually skate about half the time she's competing. The other half of the time it looks like she is dutifully going through the motions of being a competitive skater in order to satisfy someone else's expectations for her life...or she's holding on to some half-hearted notion that by putting in just enough effort to not totally embarrass herself, she'll magically be considered really good.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
if she works hard and tries to fully rotate those triples

You must be right. The reason she didn't fully rotate those triples in the past is she didn't try. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wootie

Match Penalty
Important Message: recognize sarcasm, buddy.

Um, did my response not reek of superior sarcasm in response to your poor effort at sarcasm? Guess not!!!

Anyway, good luck to Mirai rotating those triples. Her future in skating depends on it!!!

Icey

Record Breaker
My scenario: Mirai's parents, who are not us citizens, will return to Japan as will Mirai, who has until she is 22 to choose Japanese citizenship. She will choose Japanese citizenship and skate for that country. That was the real reason for this recent short visit and stay in Japan (to test the waters).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mirai skates for Japan, she will probably have a career like Daisuke Murakami, who skated for the US in the JGP then switched to skating for Japan. Daisuke was host-picked for NHK in 2009 and received SA assignments in 2010 and 2011, but no GPs since then. He gets a few Senior B assignments every year. He recently placed 10th at the 2014 Championships.

Assignments are based on placements at Nationals. Mirai would have to place top 5 at Nationals to be assured of getting GP assignments. And she would have to sit out a full year from competition before skating for Japan, not a good thing at her age.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Assignments are based on placements at Nationals. Mirai would have to place top 5 at Nationals to be assured of getting GP assignments. And she would have to sit out a full year from competition before skating for Japan, not a good thing at her age.

This is an interesting point. I totally forgot about having to sit out a year. That could work in her favor if she used that year to improve her technique to fix UR's. Or a year away from competition could make it more difficult to deal with the pressure when she returns. And I'm pretty sure she would face more pressure at Japanese nationals than US nationals. In general, I don't like when skaters choose to represent different countries, unless they had dual citizenship to begin with and they have never represented another country internationally.

I really hope Mirai figures out what she wants. If she wants to keep skating, I hope she is able to find sponsors and a support system because I honestly think she has been limited by resources and her (i'm totally guessing here) limited support network with her family focusing on her mother's health issues. I miss seeing the Mirai we saw at the Olympics, who looked like there was nothing else in the world she'd rather be doing than skating. If she has lost her passion for skating, I wish her the best of luck in whatever she chooses to pursue.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If Mirai skates for Japan, she will probably have a career like Daisuke Murakami, who skated for the US in the JGP then switched to skating for Japan. Daisuke was host-picked for NHK in 2009 and received SA assignments in 2010 and 2011, but no GPs since then. He gets a few Senior B assignments every year. He recently placed 10th at the 2014 Championships.

Also, USFS would have to agree to release her which they may not. There were issues with dancers changing countries with one country not releasing...

Icey

Record Breaker

"Not a good thing at her age"-----she's only 20!!! Akiko is 28, Mao 23 and the other olympic team member 19

desertskates

Medalist
My scenario: Mirai's parents, who are not us citizens, will return to Japan as will Mirai, who has until she is 22 to choose Japanese citizenship. She will choose Japanese citizenship and skate for that country. That was the real reason for this recent short visit and stay in Japan (to test the waters).

That is an interesting scenario, and may well be the case. But I think she'd be better off retaining her US citizenship and skating for us because of the relatively weak field (save for Ashley and Gracie) right now. But staying and training in Japan may be the best thing for her. She's old enough to live on her own if her parents don't go, and may find that a total change of scenery does her some good. Look what it did for Ashley! I realize that Japan is a more drastic move, but it sure proves her dedication to making improvements.