Tatsuki Machida | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I actually do think, personally, that PCS should be tied to TES to some degree, or else the young'uns will never break though. The problem is I don't agree with the way TES is currently calculated, and how much Dai's mistakes cost him vs. how much Yuzu/Patrick's mistakes cost (or didn't cost) them. Also, Dai's errors did not disturb his programs at all. I would've given him high PCS on that messy men's free simply for staying upright and looking like he wanted to be there (Chan, by contrast, looked like he wanted to finish his program and get out of there as soon as possible, even if he stayed mainly upright).

Home boosting didn't seem very apparent in Saitama, except possibly for Machida vs. Javi in the SP (but considering the free, Machida would've placed ahead anyway). Mao got lower PCS than Carolina Kostner in the LP, which is total insanity. I wonder, why does someone like Carolina get high PCS for her skating skills, allowing her to stay near the top even when she makes mistakes, while Kozuka's PCS nosedived because of his inconsistency? (This isn't a dis at Carolina--I admit I probably would've given her bronze in Saitama if I were a judge too... but the scores raise questions).

ioanna

Record Breaker
It looks like consistency is playing an important part, as well as previous medals. Carolina has had a fairly consistent season and went into Worlds as OBM. This alone probably helped her get the kind of PCS she got.

With no Daisuke or Nobunari the following season, Kozuka has a real chance to work harder and prove himself once again. A lot of things may depend on how well he does. As for him or Dai being or not being competitive enough to be a threat to Yuzuru and Tatsuki so far Daisuke has been very hard to beat I think - Yuzuru finally beat him in the middle of the 2012-2013 season when Dai was 27 years old, while Tatsuki was very close to getting beaten in Sochi. From now on he most certainly won't be as much of a threat anymore. Thinking back, Dai was very, very close to ending his career on a high note, the way he would have wanted to.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I actually think Dai did end his career on a high note. He's just too hard on himself. Top 6 finish is very respectable and I don't think sending Kozuka/Oda would've gotten better results. Those few points separating him and Machida isn't anything to be ashamed of. He probably regrets not being able to go to Worlds in his home country, but again, not a huge downer.

Twenty years from now, I think people can still look back on Dai's skates in Sochi and go, "That's beautiful." The other skates on the men's free that night, even though they placed ahead of him? Not so much, I suspect.

I think Dai sitting out the season could be good news to Kozuka. At least he isn't relegated to Japan #3/#4 next season, which he probably will be if Dai were around. Maybe that'll help his PCS a tiny bit? (Regarding Carolina: I agree she had the momentum that Kozuka did not at Worlds. I meant, in terms of their overall careers for the past decade, Carolina has been very inconsistent but still consistently pulled fairly high PCS).

ioanna

Record Breaker
I agree with you and think he did end his career on a high note. His swan song in Sochi was stunning and his UR and shaky landings on his quads most likely went unnoticed by the vast majority of the casual once-every-four-years viewers. At the end of the day we also ignored the technical mistakes because they did not interrupt the moment he created. He must have probably felt like his wings were cut after he managed to get himself together at the NHK Trophy and also because another bronze was very close to him regardless. I don't know why but with the kind of PCS he got I felt like the judges were willing to ignore the quads and give him the bronze had he landed the second 3A cleanly, and completely rotated in the LP.

Dai's absence is going to benefit Kozuka a lot and that is why he needs to take advantage of this opportunity. This is the moment to get back to his real value. As for his career overall, he's been constantly underscored, sometimes for no reason, and this is going to make his job harder.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Looks like Tatsuki is assigned to Skate America and Trophee Bompard. Was hoping for NHK Trophy but I guess that one was between him and Yuzuru. I did notice there's one more Japanese skater TBD, I wonder who that might be.

Anyway, by the looks of it I expect Tatsuki to win / medal at both of those competitions and he will most certainly qualify for the final. :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Looks like Tatsuki is assigned to Skate America and Trophee Bompard. Was hoping for NHK Trophy but I guess that one was between him and Yuzuru. I did notice there's one more Japanese skater TBD, I wonder who that might be.

Anyway, by the looks of it I expect Tatsuki to win / medal at both of those competitions and he will most certainly qualify for the final. :)

Isn´t Machida #3 in ISU ranking? If I remember correctly 1-3 can´t skate the same GPs

ayarose

On the Ice
Yes, normally countries keep their #1 for their home GPs.

Not to mention, with Mao & Dai resting this season; they need ticket drawers.

I think Keiji might do NHK. Tatsuki's going solo on TEB/SA, I hope a lot of Japanese fans would be there to cheer him up.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Interview with Tatsuki from Worlds - source

Tatsuki Machida: “The me of next season will easily surpass the current me.”

Q: The exhibition program for the World Championships was different from the one during the Sochi Olympics!
A: Yep! “Don’t Stop Me Now” is a program that allows me to discover the joy of skating exhibition programs. However, my mindset right now is that I’m already 24 years old and no longer a teenager. It feels like my body can no longer skate those types of programs anymore. It feels like that level of excitement required for that program no longer suits me. Although I can’t say for sure that I’ll never bring the program back in the future, I’ve used Sochi’s stage to skate that program for the last time. Because of this, this time around, I thought long and hard about my current style and ended up choosing “Les Demoiselles de Rochefort”.

Q: Is there any special meaning to you choosing the program?
A: The program was really lucky to have received such positive feedback from the audience, not to mention the fact that it’s definitely an eye capturing exhibition piece. I thought that in order to show to the audience my style, I chose this song.

Q: The season’s finally over. What would you choose to reward yourself?
A: The world of art is boundless, so even if I think myself that I’m good at something, I’ll eventually rethink it and push for something even further. Although I’m proud of what I was able to accomplish, I was also able to find areas that are in need of improvement. With that in mind, I can’t really say I am satisfied with myself. If it’s something to reward myself with, I think taking the silver’s good enough for me. Skating “East of Eden” and “Firebird” for the last time around and seeing the audience’s reaction, in addition to Phillip Mills’, my choreographer, praise of my performance, I think that is already more than enough.

Q: In order to achieve even better results, what are your plans for next season?
A: What to do… After the Sochi Olympics, I think that the judging system will definitely undergo some sort of change. I’m already starting to think about how I plan on using these new rules to my advantage to create a piece that is completely new to the world of figure skating. Please look forward to it (laughs).

Q: How about your jumps?
A: That will be dependent on my physical and mental state at the time, really. I’ve used the excuse of having no other choice for this season and jumped the quads in my programs. However, I’m not young anymore… I don’t know what will happen during practice, and if that will affect my decision or ability to jump quads… I’m not saying that I’ll no longer challenge the quad, but that I plan to put my all into the performance components in other to achieve an even higher artistry skill. In other words, the me of next season will definitely surpass the current me.”

Q: How do you plan to surpass your current self?
A: Hm… I think that will be something that everybody will know just by looking. If my scores continue to increase, then it’s definitely a sign of improvement. I think it’ll be something that will make everyone think “It’s like a completely different person compared to last year!” If I can achieve that, I’ll be satisfied.

Q: You once said “I want to have the loathsome me be loved by everybody”. Compared to the you from last year, what do you think of yourself right now?
A: I still think to myself things such as: “Why was this move done so horribly”. However, this path that I’ve chosen to take is a bleak path. Although it’s hard and many obstacles arise, I love enduring the struggle to work harder than before to surpass my previous self. Even though I think this way, I believe that I still need to mature a lot more, so I hope that I can train even harder than before. I think that it’s because people tend to find their weaknesses rather than their strengths that they are able to continuously put in effort to change and continue stronger than before.

Q: Saying this, do you ever get the feeling of being inferior to everyone else?
A: How do I say this… After witnessing the world of multi-media art, dance, and ballet, looking back at my own performances… I can tell that my level is far below theirs. It’s because of this that I can push myself through with training to strive for the best.

Q: In the month after the Sochi 2014 Olympics, what would you say is the biggest change in your attitude?
A: I’ve once quoted a line from a television show that went “If you keep what you have right now, you’ll only be able to go backwards.” Although I say this, during the Nationals and during Sochi, I was honestly tired of staying at that level the entire time. To have ended the Olympics in that way… It allowed for something in me to burst open to unlock the determination within me, similar to how if you add fuel to a fire, the fire will be set ablaze. I’ve worked hard everyday to get to where I am right now, so I think that’s the reason why I was able to achieve such good results here in the World Championships. It feels as if I was able to grow the most during my time training and competing here.

Q: This has certainly been a very busy season, hasn’t it? Now that it’s over, what do you plan to do during the off-season? Are there any books that you want to read, or any movies that you want to watch? Or perhaps you want to travel to different places?
A: You might already know this, but I’m a really, really big fan of Takeru Kaidou. His newest work “Team Batista 4: Raden Meikyu” came out the other day, so I really want to watch it, but I don’t think I’ll have time for it… I’ve got to start preparing for ice shows, after all. Although there are a lot of ice shows, I still need to work hard to strive to give off the best performance possible. Even if I have to participate in a lot of shows, the audience will only get to watch one once, so I’ll definitely have to try my hardest in every one to make it the best possible for them. I’m predicting that whatever is awaiting me in April will definitely be complete hell (laughs). When competing, there’s an excessive amount of pressure, so you’ll get stressed out. In order to get the best results, you’ll train far past your body’s limit, resulting in not being able to put your all into the performance component of the program. However, I think I should be able to show off what I am actually capable of in those shows.

Q: Next season, what do you plan to do with Timshel (Meaning thou mayest, is a famous saying from “East of Eden”, and is also one of Machida’s quotes)?
A: These two programs have helped me a lot, and I’m extremely thankful of them. Including Timshel, “East of Eden” and “Firebird” are my precious treasures, and are also the pillars of my strength. Even when faced with countless obstacles, just by thinking of “East of Eden” and “Firebird”, I’ll be able to continue on walking forward regardless of how many times I might fall down along the way. With this in mind, I can say that this season’s me is extremely important to my future self.

Q: Next season, you’ll be able to use music with vocals, right?
A: In the first question, my answer was a hint. I want to create a program that has never been witnessed before in the world of figure skating by taking advantage of the rules to weave together a sequence that’s ethereally beautiful. For now, it’ll be a secret (Laughs).

Becki

Medalist
Very important news!

According to reports from Japanese fans on twitter, Tatsuki has changed his mind and is continuing his career until Pyeongchang Olympics.
Phillip Mills is doing the choreography for his SP.

He was recently a guest on a baseball game.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZivVzCMAERiRL.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZxkwBCEAEoi8I.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZ1VF1CAAA6Orp.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqaCnpiCQAMwLEg.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqa36cTCAAEtyp5.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqa36bNCQAEgYWL.jpg:large

Unless any of the younger skaters in Japan fix their jumps, upgrade their base values and get consistent by 2018, could it be possible to see Yuzuru, Daisuke and Tatsuki once again representing Japan in Pyeongchang? So far anything can happen. Tatsuki has been insisting Sochi is his first and last Olympics and now he's changed his mind. Daisuke used to say he's retiring in 2014 and he didn't. He said he will be aiming for Pyeongchang as well in case he decides to come back. Not ruling Takahiko out, Pyeongchang may turn out to be Yuzuru, Tatsuki and Takahiko as well.
It's a long way till the next Olympics but for now the possibilities are open.

I am glad Tatsuki has decided to stay! I loved his last two seasons' short programs!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm glad he's not yet retiring. I hate to see good skaters go, especially Japanese ones. I have a soft spot for them especially :yes:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Very important news!

According to reports from Japanese fans on twitter, Tatsuki has changed his mind and is continuing his career until Pyeongchang Olympics.
Phillip Mills is doing the choreography for his SP.

He was recently a guest on a baseball game.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZivVzCMAERiRL.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZxkwBCEAEoi8I.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqZ1VF1CAAA6Orp.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqaCnpiCQAMwLEg.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqa36cTCAAEtyp5.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqa36bNCQAEgYWL.jpg:large

Unless any of the younger skaters in Japan fix their jumps, upgrade their base values and get consistent by 2018, could it be possible to see Yuzuru, Daisuke and Tatsuki once again representing Japan in Pyeongchang? So far anything can happen. Tatsuki has been insisting Sochi is his first and last Olympics and now he's changed his mind. Daisuke used to say he's retiring in 2014 and he didn't. He said he will be aiming for Pyeongchang as well in case he decides to come back. Not ruling Takahiko out, Pyeongchang may turn out to be Yuzuru, Tatsuki and Takahiko as well.
It's a long way till the next Olympics but for now the possibilities are open.

Ecstatic to learn that Tatsuki is going for Pyeongchang, and that I will see more of him in this quad! :yay: Thanks so much for the update ionap.

Now eagerly waiting to see his new programs. I've been happy with what I saw of the new SPs of Yuzuru, Javier, and Jason, and I hope Tatsuki will also step up to the plate as they did and help make this quad a golden age of men's figure skating.

On another note, my thoughts and good wishes are with the people of Japan upon learning of the recent earthquake there.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks ionap. :). It was also my pleasure to read your edifying posts about my favorite skaters like Tatsuki. Not to put pressure on you, but I hope you'd let us know asap once he has unveiled his new programs (and his philosophical explanations behind them ;) ).

ioanna

Record Breaker
I can hardly wait myself to see his new programs and I certainly hope we won't have to wait till the GP season starts. Most of the skaters have unveiled their new SP / LP but there are no ice shows left for Tatsuki to attend so I'm not sure when the premiere is going to be.

Maybe Japan Open? There's no news on who is going, it's always been Dai and Taka for the last few years. Taka is probably still going this year but who will replace Dai? Hopefully Tatsuki.